What Are Some Musical Groups And/Or Songs That Everybody Liked But You?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

never heard of John Cage.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I would say I enjoy a lot of music. I think most groups have at least one song where I can say "I like this". I know I'm not alone on this but so many people like Nickelback... but at the same time so many people hate Nickelback. I can't stand them. I think they are everything that is wrong with music. Bottom-of-the-barrel, lowest common denominator, rock 'n' roll. There's no life or creativity in their rock 'n' roll.

I used to not be a fan of Dylan. Then I started getting an ear for it and now I love it. A lot of people like to hate on popular music just because it is popular. Me, I can see some good in just about every musical group. I don't really listen to any of that pop music like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga though so I can't really judge on it.

EDIT to agree with talesin: I can't stand Coldplay. I gave them a try based off of a few friends being in love with them. I can't stand it.

Also, there is a local band that is huge in Pittsburgh and some surrounding areas called The Clarks. They are dreadful but so many people around here like them. I just cannot stand them.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Oh boy, I just thought of a man that I hate... James Taylor. I almost want to barf when I hear his music. I just don't get it. I don't get any feeling out of his music. I just don't see the passion that a folk singer should have in his music.

Neil Young, there is passion there.

Bob Dylan, there is passion there.

Bruce Springsteen, there is a hell of a lot of passion there.

The best way I can describe James Taylor is meaningless and pointless.

Of course, this could all just be because my mom always listened to James Taylor while out in field service but even without that, I just absolutely despised his music.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I don't get U2 or the Beatles either. The Beatles has a song or two that are appealing. The rest are too.... happy for me.

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!

The Beatles, for the life of me I don't understand how their so called legacy is determined. I was browsing through Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums list while waiting in line at the deli today. The Beatles entire discography can be found within the 500 with like 3 or 4 of their albums within the top twenty and the number one album of the entire 500 list is their Sgt Pepper album. Don't get me wrong, they were definately talented, but c'mon already. Granted it's Rolling Stone magazine and their reviews are shit and not to be trusted, but there's plenty of people who would agree with the the positions given to The Beatles within the list, and I just don't get it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I really like the Beatles. I do, but not because it's "cool" to. Whenever I see those lists of the 500 greatest whatever, I see someone trying to be cool in compiling it

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    The Beatles, for the life of me I don't understand how their so called legacy is determined.

They had a huge following. They personified successful hippie. They are said to have influenced modern pop/rock.... (how, I've nooo clue, as regards the rock)

Musically, I really don't get them. I really don't. What is appealing about them?

• talesin
    talesin

knowsnothing -- youtube this :: Blackbird by Sir Paul McCartney,, or ask any guitar player about George Harrison's guitar skills; forget you ever heard of Sgt. Pepper, and listen to Revolution, or Back in the USSR (youtube). Try watching the movie "Imagine", and if you're REALLY wanting to get to know John Lennon, his songs "Mother" and "God".

I wasn't that impressed with the Beatles (except for their '65 album), but learned a lot in later years about their music from my musician friends.

t

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Here's my reasoning behind why the Beatles are beloved. They were only around for 10 years but put out a ton of stuff. Despite that, you would be hard pressed to find two Beatles songs that sound the same. They were very experimental and not afraid to try new things. All you have to do is look at the difference between the albums Please, Please Me and Let It Be. They continued to evolve and stay relevant. They were all terrific songwriters. All four of them wrote great songs. It didn't hurt that the ladies really liked them too. Not to mention they were very charasmatic. There wasn't really anything quite like them before they showed up on the scene.

Are they everybody's cup of tea? No. But there has never been another band like them, nor will there ever be.

On a side note, not many people know this but Jeff Lynne (frontman of ELO) wrote some songs for them too and was heavily involved as a producer for a couple of their albums.

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I think you've summed it up quite nicely, MrFreeze.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit