What Are Some Musical Groups And/Or Songs That Everybody Liked But You?

by minimus 82 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Neil Young SUCKS!

• undercover
    undercover

Neil Young - he can't sing, his guitar playing is amateurish and his lyrics only so-so. It's a good thing he is so incredibly handsome!

But, but ... he's the godfather of grunge. Wait - that's a bad thing too...

I like his early stuff. Acoustic and with Crazy Horse. But sometime in the early 80s he lost me for awhile. Once in awhile he'd put out something tolerable, but when I want to listen to him, I go for his pre "rust" years.

I've heard his new album "Americana" is getting some attention. Haven't heard anything from it. All I know is that he's putting the Crazy Horse edge to classic Americana trad songs. That might work for a song or two in concert, but a whole album? I dunno...

• rocketman
    rocketman

Hey Minimus, yes, I am a fan of Elton's music; but I understand that while he has many fans, a lot of people either don't like his music or just don't see what the attraction is. It's just like everything else in music - purely subjective.

By the way, this April was the 40th anniversary of the release of the song Rocket Man as a single.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Did not like:

Rush

Boston

Montrose

Boston

Nugent

Van Halen at any point

All Metal

Most all Disco and Wham

• undercover
    undercover

You mustve really hated Boston...

• JRK
    JRK

Journey, Michael Bolton, most middle of the road tripe. Oh, add Yawni, Kenny G, John Tesh, and middle of the road Jazz tripe.

JK

• JRK
    JRK

And I love Neil Young.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yeah, I like the Beatles, but they are over-rated. Lots of stuff made in the 80s is banal at best. Madonna, Lady GaGa, and their ilk, I don't really like them.

Dylan is great, but not for his singing. His songwriting is great, but other people cover his songs better than he does/did.

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's funny how our feelings change about music over time too. Undercover mentioned how he views some groups differently now. Through the lense of time, I seem to do the same. Back in the day, while my brother repeatedly spun albums by Led Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, Boston, etc., I was kind of on-board but never shared his enthusiasm. Yet now I find that some of their stuff was really pretty good.

I was in my late teens during the Disco era and essentially hated the stuff, but now I look back and find a certain charm in at least some of it.

Another couple of bands I still don't "get" though: Kansas (except for Carry On My Wayward Son) and REO Speedwagon (I call them "Air Supply with an edge"). Foreigner and Styx never thrilled me either except for songs such as Double Vision and Renegade.

I've also come to realize over time how much the music of Motown has influenced my musical taste. I have a special affection for a lot of stuff that came out on the Motown label or was featured on Soul Train.

• minimus
    minimus

I wasn't a big Who fan or Pink Floyd.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit