If you don't know what's wrong it can't be fixed

by N.drew 220 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Lightning was not supernatural because it wasn't explained. We may have perceived it as such, but now we know better.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It most certainly IS a default position. Logical people would say it is natural until proven supernatural since everything that has ever been proven has been natural. Illogical people will dismiss this and say; 'well maybe THIS TIME it's supernatural, and it will remain so until proven otherwise." That is completely irrational. And it is default.

You have yet to provide me with an example of something supernatural in human history. This is because you have concluded prior to this discussion that supernatural phenomenon doesn't exist therefore you are an inadequate entity to determine what is supernatural and what is not. The bias is too strong. My position is not default, or my bias would be too strong as well. I have weighed it using a methodology and have concluded that it is supernatural. What was seen over Phoenix cannot happen. We know the laws of physics and they were broken that night.

I was driving down a dark road one night and the little girl in the back seat started squealing that she had seen an angel. The road was empty so I backed the car up to investigate her angel. It was a pond with a white statue of Mary lit up. Not an angel. Completely natural plaster of paris. Little girls jump to the supernatural when they don't understand. I wanted her to take a second look, so that as she grew up, she would learn to be skeptical and look for the natural first. I think it was a powerful lesson. I don't know her anymore, but I hope she grew up to be a powerful scientist! Cuz I'll tell ya one thing, jumping to the supernatural as the default conclusion sure as hell ain't breeding no scientists.

Are you saying my argument is reminiscent of one a little girl would make?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Lightning was not supernatural because it wasn't explained. We may have perceived it as such, but now we know better.

The Phoenix lights is not a "phenomenon" like lightning is. It was a huge spacecraft that levitated over a metropolis and was void of any sound. I think your lightning comparison is overly simplified to make a point.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    We advocate FOR or AGAINST a deeply held belief on the assumption our advocacy has power.

Hello Terry, I am merely discussing why I believe the way I do. God needs no advocate, God IS the advocate. Like I said the burden of proof lies on the accuser. Say you are a patriarch of a large family and one of your grand children comes to you and says that you have been lying to the family for decades. He says that your whole life and that you have been stealing from family members and have hidden a large stash of their money. He demands that you come clean and give back the money to the living heirs. The burden of proof for such an accusation would fall on the accuser, not you because it is your alleged actions that are being called into question.

It's the same with God. He's always been here creating things so if one of the creations accuses him of never existing it's up to that creation to proove the notion. For some reason non believers feel it's the other way around. Now I could see the burden falling on people who say a specific God exists, like the God of the Bible or something, but when questioning the very existence of a creator the burden of proof falls on the questioner.

-Sab

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    The Phoenix lights is not a "phenomenon" like lightning is. It was a huge spacecraft that levitated over a metropolis and was void of any sound. I think your lightning comparison is overly simplified to make a point.

Give it time. If it was aliens, then they too would comprise part of the natural world. SETI NASA program actively looks for alien lifeforms.

I think aliens would actually discredit most religions, especially Christianity.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Are you saying my argument is reminiscent of one a little girl would make?

Nah. After that lesson, the little girl stopped choosing the supernatural as the default.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Nah. After that lesson, the little girl stopped choosing the supernatural as the default.

Damnit! I opened myself up for that one.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I think aliens would actually discredit most religions, especially Christianity.

Unless Jesus was an alien...

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Give it time. If it was aliens, then they too would comprise part of the natural world. SETI NASA program actively looks for alien lifeforms.

I actually feel that it's a bit bigoted of us to think we know how to map the natural world enough to make such determinations. What is life?

-Sab

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    What is life?

Great question let's figure it out scientifically without wasting half our time worrying about what's really wrong - how to make the spirit in the sky happy. If he hasn't given us an update in 2,000 years he is probably not ever going to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit