Christian Apologists - Please Watch This and Tell Us Why it is wrong?

by cantleave 834 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking
    good stoning was justice

LOL New Chapter...some people still believe a good stoning to be justice...

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    PANCHEN LAMA

What is that?

• tec
    tec

Yes....hence the words Personally and I

Yes, but before that, you wrote this:

but people would value life more than they do with a god...because this is it folks.

So did god allow for the hard hearts by telling them to take an eye for an eye? why not just give them the golden rule in the first place? Surely that would be a lot easier to follow than a myriad of rules...

Maybe they were unwilling to hear or do more than that? Maybe God did not allow for it at all, but those in charge did... maybe feeling they had no other option? It is not the first time they were unwilling to follow what God wanted for them.

Seems like a very round about way to get to something simple.

Agreed... but why is it necessary? Because God likes to go round and round; or because people don't listen (and perhaps don't want to listen) to the simple?

So does that mean YOU would value life less if there was no god?
    I think life is valuable....god or no god.

I think life is valuable also... god or no god. I might value it less if I thought there was no god... in that I might find it less meaningful. Can't say for certain. I doubt I would value it more though. No reason to value it more; I already hold life as precious.

Would you value life less if there was a god?

Peace,

tammy

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

TEC - Listen to what exactly?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

EDIT:

I forgot and inadvertantly initiated circular reasoning.....sorry.

• tec
    tec

TEC - Listen to what exactly?

Not sure if I am answering what you mean... but the treating others as you would want them to treat you, for instance. Loving and serving one another; showing mercy, caring for those in need, etc.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yes, but before that, you wrote this:....tec

but people would value life more than they do with a god...because this is it folks....still thinking

Well that is my opinion....obviously....and God is yours.

so tec...what you tell us about god you are not applying to EVERYONE?

Because God likes to go round and round; or because people don't listen .....tec
  • still thinking
    still thinking
    I think life is valuable also... god or no god. I might value it less if I thought there was no god... in that I might find it less meaningful. Can't say for certain. I doubt I would value it more though. No reason to value it more; I already hold life as precious....tec

Guess you'll never know then if you have never walked in my shoes.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

And don't forget about all the delicious bacon

I have to laugh at this. I have a professor that is a part time vegetarian and he calls bacon the gateway meat.

As to all of you seafood perverts----I'll just never understand you!

As to getting stoned---well----YEAH.

As to valuing life without a god. When I dropped the god concept, life suddenly became much more precious. I no longer could let myself off the hook by saying that god would handle it all one day. I realized that when a child died, that was it. In the midst of my transition, I read two poems. One was about a child in England (think Oliver Twist) that had to work in brutal conditions as a chimney sweep. He was hungry, dirty and abused. But he thought about his angel---about his key to heaven. Another was about a black servant who commented on the arrogance of her white employer, podering that the woman probably thinks she will have servants in heaven.

It became very clear to me that this promise of an after life----the reward not the punishment---was a clever way of controlling and sujugating people. I had already concluded that about punishment, but it is true of reward also. Slave. Go ahead. Take abuse. No problem. Because there is something better. You'll have another chance. If you can't work it out in this life, you'll work it out in the next.

What an excellent way to keep down the rebellions. By putting their faith in a god, instead of demanding their humanity now, it takes some of the fire out of the fight. When I would hear about starving children before, it would grieve me deeply. But I would soothe my conscience by reasoning that god is allowing this for now, but will put an end to it, and the child has not lost anything that won't be returned. Now that I know that it is not true, I feel a deeper motivation to FIX the problems around me and I don't get the cop out that god will fix it.

so---life is much more valuable to me as a nonbeliever than it ever was as a believer. Afterall, aren't believers told to look to the 'real life' and it's not this one. Once we come to accept that THIS IS the real life, I believe we will be more energized.

NC

• tec
    tec

so tec...what you tell us about god you are not applying to EVERYONE?
    Because God likes to go round and round; or because people don't listen .....tec

Of course it does not apply to everyone. Some people do listen. In either case, it was more of a question designed to have some people think about possibilities rather than an arbitrary statement.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit