Christian Apologists - Please Watch This and Tell Us Why it is wrong?

by cantleave 834 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do you think they would handle the job differently, and if so, is this good or bad in your eyes?

A believer is only tempted to bring his/her faith to office with him/her which can be combatted by self control. Honor is the most important thing for an elected office because power can always be abused. There are checks and balances set up, but they are not perfect which is why honor is such a prized trait in a leader. An atheist would not be tempted at all to abuse their power in the name of their God and that sounds like a good thing given the data we have on believing presidents. So on that line of reasoning an atheist president is preferred. But there are a lot of honorable believers who would not disrespect the office, but that's the job of the voters to figure out.

-Sab

• tec
    tec

Finkel... I don't understand what you are saying. At all.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Richard Dawkins is the one that says they are intellectually deficient and you hang off of his words like he's the brother of Jesus or something.

Is that so? So you think I view him in a similar way that you view Jesus? Perhaps it is not the PEOPLE that are intellectually deficient, but their ideas. Can we not call out an idea for being absolutely wrong---it's not a matter of belief afterall---it's a matter of facts.

Who cares if they teach that the earth was created in 6 days? Seriously? They have the internet and can fact check.

Because when you raise children to dismiss science, we all suffer. Children are already indoctrinated before they can google. It is fine to use critical thinking and question evolution, because that is how science advances. But to simply deny it and hang onto a canned answer is not acceptable. Why keep children in ignorance? Do you believe that the earth was created in 6 days? Would you want your doctor to believe it (much of medicine has advanced because of our understanding of evolution)? Would you want the next Einstein to be born in a family that tells them science is evil?

They have the internet and can fact check.

And as JW's we were also free to fact check---most of us didn't because we were taught not to question or criticize. Google doesn't solve everything.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

But how about another important factor in following the Christ which you left out and that is the total redemption for all sins.

Whats too difficult to understand ? Tec ?

Unfortunately this is a pertaining aspect of Christianity, some hold more to than all the others.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Is that so? So you think I view him in a similar way that you view Jesus? Perhaps it is not the PEOPLE that are intellectually deficient, but their ideas. Can we not call out an idea for being absolutely wrong---it's not a matter of belief afterall---it's a matter of facts.

You never start out calling them intellectually deficient you trap them first and then stick out your tongue like on the school yard. Ideas come from the brain which is the source of the intellect. Your problem is that you hold others to your own strict adherence to documented evidence. If it hasn't been documented you don't come to a conclusion. However, this is not the case with everybody and you don't seem to be able to get that through your thick atheist skull. Many people have experienced unexplained phenomenon and it confirms whatever it confirms for them. The brain works by association, you can't get around that.

Because when you raise children to dismiss science, we all suffer.

This is just an ideologue and completely ignores the fact that information cannot be hidden from a free nation with the internet. Your argument is based in paranoia.

Children are already indoctrinated before they can google. It is fine to use critical thinking and question evolution, because that is how science advances. But to simply deny it and hang onto a canned answer is not acceptable. Why keep children in ignorance? Do you believe that the earth was created in 6 days? Would you want your doctor to believe it (much of medicine has advanced because of our understanding of evolution)?

There are doctors who believe that the earth was created in six days and they do just fine.

Would you want the next Einstein to be born in a family that tells them science is evil?

You have no faith in the human mind. If Einstein was a kid in this age he wouldn't believe his family. Once again, thick atheist skull.

And as JW's we were also free to fact check---most of us didn't because we were taught not to question or criticize. Google doesn't solve everything.

Teaching something you believe is not the same thing as mind controlling youth. Mind control should be against the law, and it will be eventually.

-Sab

• tec
    tec

I do not understand the relevance of forgiveness/redemption of sins coupled with what I stated... in being responsible for this:

This one singular aspect to being a following believer of the Christ has killed millions and has cause untold damage and grief upon humanity.

No one who claims to follow Christ can kill anyone, much less millions, unless that person ignores the the things that Christ taught and listens instead to what man says Christ wants.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

However, this is not the case with everybody and you don't seem to be able to get that through your thick atheist skull.

It always makes me smile when believers get bent out of shape thinking we are calling them stupid, as they shoot off comments like this. Just an observation---let's move past it to discuss the ideas.

you trap them first and then stick out your tongue like on the school yard.

I trap them? What are my methods? Do I have to give your idea credence in order for you not to feel this way? At what point do I stick out my tongue? Is it it when I question or disagree? How about when I counter a point? Is there a point where I should stop? Do I stop first? Am I allowed to be confident, or would it feel better if I was wishy-washy? Would that be more comfortable?

Your problem is you hold others to your own strict adherence to documented evidence.

And why is the wrong? Don't we all ask for evidence? We do, by the way. If it is cold outside, we put on a coat. For most things, we operate on evidence. Is this one area where evidence is hands off?

My page messed up. I'll have to continue this.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Do you believe that the earth was created in 6 days?

I believe that was written down was written down for a purpose. The purpose of the "six days", first, revolves around the number six. Second,the passage is used to depict the linear progression of time. In the ancient world it would have been easy to come to the misconception that everything just sprung forth into being when created by God. So, Genesis makes an effort to specically explain that God's creation has a linear progression just like day and night does.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I trap them? What are my methods?

You along with every other scientist on the planet sctaches their heads when they think of the center of a black hole. This provides a logical window for the God theory to flourish. Not the Bible God theory, not the Greek Gods theory, the God theory as in: yes we were created by X. We don't need morals, we don't need love at that point. A God theory can be good or evil, all it means is that we were created. We have a purpose at the pleasure of God. So, in any debate you have with a creationist you are going to have to trap them logically because the creationist will always be able to call "black hole" and you are screwed. Your methods is evidence which doesn't mean anything until you can fully explain your universe. You have put the cart before the horse and you think it's worth something. We could use it to store boxes, but it doesn't take you to your destination.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

There are doctors who believe that the earth was created in six days and they do just fine.

Sure, sure. They can hold a stethoscope and follow directions, but they won't advance anything. All current advances are coming from our knowledge of evolution and genetics. Genetics is also a part of evolutionary science. So they can prescribe a pill, but then it's actions are maybe a little bit magical.

You have no faith in the human mind. If Einstein was a kid in this age he wouldn't believe his family. Once again, thick atheist skull.

Perhaps you could tone down the insults against me personally, and attack my ideas instead. God would like that. With this comment, I would have to have more faith in the human mind than the god belief! I would have to have faith that the child could overcome god belief in order to share his/her gifts with the world. Interesting viewpoint. So now----prove you statement. If you are raised in a family that holds higher education and science in contempt, how prepared will you be to gain the skills needed to fully use your talent? How long will it take for you to cast off the weight of god belief? How much time will be lost? If you come up with some outrageous (and ungodly) ideas, will you be pushed into submission so that you no longer even investigate that part of your intellect? What if the child is incredibly talented, but not quite to Einstein's caliber? What if he/she is timid? Can only mental giants escape small minded teaching? Do those that are smaller giants never get the chance?

Teaching something you believe is not the same thing as mind controlling youth.

We have a large population that teaches their children myths, and then homeschools them or sends them to religious schools. These children are at a disadvantage because contrary ideas have never been presented to them. We are not talking merely about teaching. We are talking about rearing up a child in the formative years, when all possiblities can be squealched before they ever bloom. Misinformation is a concern for us all. I don't want to enact laws, I want to reason---or as you say---poach the believers with my evil ideas.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit