How many hours are falsely reported?

by badboy 92 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Bod: I think you are the one who needs the coffee.

In your first scenario, the 20 publishers average 10 hours each (10x10 + 9x8 + 1x28), giving an average of 10 hours per person.

In the second scenario, the 20 publishers put in (10x10 + 9x10 + 1x28), giving an average of 10.9 hours.

But, guess what, the average has just increased, and now 95% of the publishers are below average. So, to meet the average, all 19 sub performers must increase to 10.9. But, guess what, the average is now (19x10.9 +1x28)/20 = 11.8. So, they must increase again.

The point is, if no one is below average, the average will continually increase until it is equal to the highest performer. It is a moving target.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva
    The point is, if no one is below average, the average will continually increase until it is equal to the highest performer. It is a moving target.

Yes, this is the point I was making too. I misread Cello's post as if it asserted that the average would not increase, which clearly it does not indicate (thus my need for coffee, although I should only have decaf). Cello said ''If you set the average as some kind of standard, you are eternally fleecing the flock.'' The Society is of course aware of this, thus my comment

But what breaks the system down is that no one can be allowed to think they are doing enough to earn their salvation. So folks are not complimented on improving their hours, but are told that they are not up to the new average, and are goaded to get 12 hours.
    One quibble, I only used 10 publishers. First I stated that they averaged 10.0 hours, then I broke them down into the nine, eight-hour pubs and the one, 28-hour pub. You misread ''10 publishers average 10.0 hours'' as if it were '10 publishers each get 10.0 hours.' Your turn for coffee.
  • badboy
    badboy

BRINGING THIS 2 THE TOP OF THE ACTIVE TOPICS.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Wow.

Reading this whole thread gave me another one of those "Wish I had known this when I was a JW" feelings.

I was a pioneer as a young man, back when the quota was 100 hours. It was tough to meet, and frequently, I would end the month with only 95 or 96 hours. After a while, I fell into the 'sin' of fudging the extra hours, usually reporting the total as 101 or 102. I was consumed with guilt over doing this, eventually confessed to the elders, and was publicly reproved, and removed as a pioneer and ministerial servant. After the reproof, I was pretty much treated like dirt by most in the congregation. All that over 5 or 6 hours a month, out of 100.

Now, I come here and read that people who never put in any time nonetheless report hours every month. And that others were "pioneers" putting in maybe 10 or 15 hours a month, but reporting the full amount required.

Was I a dope, or just too honest for my own good?

Answer: I was a dope for ever being in that Pharisaical, controlling organization.

• badboy
    badboy

I have noticed that on the british statistics that the average publishers decreased by about 1,000 a year, but the hours decease by about 500,00 2 A million,go figure! everyone

• jack2
    jack2

Lately, to keep the hounds at bay, all my hours are falsely reported....which amounts to just an hour or two per month - just enough to keep the hounds off me.

• Matty
    Matty

I haven't been out since the end of September, and so I faked mine for the first time this last week, for the same reason as stated above!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There is a body of management research that essentially warns organizations to be careful what they count. The research is generally in the field of sales management and the problem to the organization I as follows:

If an organization places undue attention on a variable that is not directly attributed to the success of the organization (i.e. number of visits) this then becomes the focus of the sales person. However, placing undue attention on the number of sales calls may force a sales person to call on people that have no intention in buying. But since he or she is being measure on the number of sales calls, the pattern continues.

This is exactly what is happening within the borg. Coercive force is being applied to the flock to "put in hour," even though hours are not the real measure of success. Because of this undue attention to this single variable, the flock is forced to fudge the numbers, which in turn, give the elders the ability to continue their coercion.

Someone could argue the point that hours are an important measurable variable. That may be the case, but if it is important dont you suppose that they would want the right number. The easiest way to get the "right" number would be for everyone to turn in his or her time without a name. However, this will never happen because this removes the ability to coerce the flock, which is the last weapon of the organization.

• ballistic
    ballistic

NewYork, that is useful in something going on in my company. Do you have any sources to quote?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Ballistic. I did a research project for an MBA program several years ago and stumbled on that information. I will dig up some stuff. The references are also in ProQuest, if you have access to that source. There are some articles in the Journal of Marketing from several years ago. Drop me a line, so I remember where to send it to.

thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit