How many hours are falsely reported?

by badboy 92 Replies latest jw friends

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

This is so hysterically funny!!!!! NOT

When I was a newbie publisher, I didn't really comprehend the "reporting of hours" system.

I'd spend 20 to 30 hours driving around with weirdos, but only counted as "time" the actual time I spent ACTUALLY talking to someone, like at their door, or whatever. I'd accummulate perhaps two hours, which is what I wrote down on that stupid rancid piece of paper.

Finally, I asked my study conductor (pioneer of course) how on EARTH she managed to physically acquire 90 hours of "time" per month. She helped me understand more fully the "mechanics" of time accummulation!

Auxiliary pioneers - they'd get their hair cut, and they'd manage to get some mention of watchtower phlem into the conversation with the hairdresser - so the entire three-hour procedure would be considered as service time.

I honestly reported my time, but was never willing to "buy" prestige or status within the congregation by engaging in fraud, and could never bring myself to actually "respect" people who pioneered. In fact, I thought they were toads.

lauralisa

• Solace
    Solace

This is too funny.
    My missionary aunt actually views it as "work", like a job.
    When she was visiting, I was waiting for her to go into her "Jehovah Mode". I didnt really feel like putting my husband through that, she must have noticed because she informed everyone in the room that she was on "vacation" and would not be taking her bible out.

I did catch my grandpa peeking at my grandmas watchtower to see what she had underlined. They used to hang out at the senior rest homes, leave a few books and have coffee for a few hours to meet their time for the month.
    Sometimes they left a watchtower on my counter. I found out later that the entire time they were here visiting, they were recording it as their time. Im glad they figured out ways that didnt bother their conscience to keep from being total slaves.
    I feel so bad for the older ones out there in the cold, going door to door.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I did this stuff, always flubbed mags, hours. I don't think I EVER put an honest one in...never was that serious.

ashi

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

Yes, I too made up fake hours on my slip. I felt horribly pressured by all of the other pioneer youths in my cong. I had an after school job, and I rarely went out in service. If I was labeled inactive, I wouldn't have gotten invited to those wild 'theocratic' kids' parties.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

When I first started pioneering I was very precise in reporting my time. But the last two months of my first year I only put in about 90 hours one month and 95 hours the next. Well, I got a nasty letter from the Service Department stating that if I didn't meet my 100 hour requirment they would put me off the pioneer roll. Of course in 1968 that would have meant no more ministers standing with the draft board and Vietnam here we come. So from that moment on I always had at least 100 hours, plenty of magazine placements and at least 3 bible studies a month. Funny, it just seemed to work out that way.

I often wondered how the WTS could treat people who were volunteers and got no money for their efforts like crap. Well I guess when you're "God's organization", you can.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son." Dean Vernon Wormer, Faber College

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Hey, Mr. Biggs,

Good one!!

Free

• Scully
    Scully

There are plenty of "creative timekeeping" methods among JWs. Some of them were discussed on this thread back in mid-January:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=19381&site=3

My family kept close track of field service time for as long as I can remember. My dad would never "round up" his hours to the next whole hour, he would carry over the extra 15 min or whatever to the following month. I learned to do the same.

I was taught that fudging your field service report was like lying to Jehovah, so I didn't do it. It seemed like a one way ticket to not making it through Armageddon, even worse than fornication.

We found out later that there were different "standards" for counting time, depending on whether you were a publisher or a pioneer. For instance, a pioneer could count time they spent volunteering at a convention, where a publisher couldn't. Once I learned about the "double standard", I started wondering 'why doesn't Jehovah value my volunteer work at assemblies the way he does for pioneers?' and 'doesn't Jehovah "detest" double standards, the same way that "two sorts of weights are something detestable to Jehovah"?'

Nobody could answer that for me, and I became known as a bit of a trouble maker. Lil ole me.... a shit disturber.... who would've thunk?? LOL

Love, Scully

• cellomould
    cellomould

Amen to shit flickin', Scully!

They have a serious problem in Brooklyn understanding statistics....A quick amble through the fields of brain activity tells us that if ALL publishers get at least the national average....lo and behold....the average will go UP!

That's why it's called an average... You NEED some people to get more and some people to get less....If you set the average as some kind of standard, you are eternally fleecing the flock.

cellomould

"In other words, your God is the warden of a prison where the only prisoner is your God." Jose Saramago, The Gospel According to Jesus Christ

• badboy
    badboy

Thanks for everyone contribution.

I would estimate that for the UsA alone,1-3 million hours alone are possibly falsely reported assuming that the statistics mentioned by respondents are average

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

cellomould -

The assumption was that those already above average should maintain their level, while those below average should increase their hours. This would actually work. Perhaps you need coffee.

For example, assume 10 publishers average 10.0 hours. But assume nine get eight hours, and one high-hour publisher gets 28 hours. If the nine improve their time to 10 hours and the HHP maintains, you now have (9 * 10) + 28 = 118 / 10 = 11.8 hours on average. But what breaks the system down is that no one can be allowed to think they are doing enough to earn their salvation. So folks are not complimented on improving their hours, but are told that they are not up to the new average, and are goaded to get 12 hours. Eventually the average will reach the number of the high-hour publisher, unless of course people have different life circumstances. Or wake up from the cult. Or beat the crap out of the one SOB who above the average. So we should all ask ourselves not, "Can I pioneer," but, "What prevents me from pioneering?"

Bodhisattva

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit