Do you have a favourite scripture?

by Ucantnome 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

Someone mentioned John 3:16.

In the NWT the greek word for Believe has been translated into Exercises Faith. This is suprising since the same greek word is found many times in the surrounding verses and consistently translated 'believe'.

Splash

• Terry
    Terry
    1 Kings 19:11-14

King James Version (KJV)

11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord . And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord ; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake:

12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

13 And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave.

That always gives me goose bumps.

God is not what you imagine!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

like a negative theology

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yep

Genesis 30:37-39
    37 Jacob, however, took fresh-cut branches from poplar, almond and plane trees and made white stripes on them by peeling the bark and exposing the white inner wood of the branches. 38 Then he placed the peeled branches in a ll the watering troughs, so that they would be directly in front of the flocks when they came to drink. When the flocks were in heat and came to drink, 39 they mated in front of the branches. And they bore young that were streaked or speckled or spotted.

Just shows what stupid ill-informed piece of shit the bible is.

• Shador
    Shador

While I consider myself a pagan, I still find some neat stuff in the Bible.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 - "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever."

Ecclesiastes 2:24 - "There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour."

Ecclesiastes 7:10 - "Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this."

Ecclesiastes 7:20 - "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."

(Ok, I really like Ecclesiastes - probably my favorite book).

Now one for the lulz:

Ezekiel 23:19, 20 - "She began whoring worse than ever, remembering her girlhood, when she had played the whore in the land of Egypt, when she had been infatuated by profligates big-membered as donkeys, ejaculating as violently as stallions." (switched to the Jerusalem Bible here, cause KJV were too prudish to translate so explicitly)

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

interesting verses cantleave and Shador particularly the Ezekiel 23

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Because of my experience with the witnesses I an unable to even touch let alone read a Bible. The thought alone gives me a bad taste in my being. It feels ruined for me. I can't even think about reading it again. I feel kind of failed by it.

Or maybe it's God I feel dissapointed in. I am starting to accept the fact that maybe he just does not care.

• MissMyHarley
    MissMyHarley

Galations 5:22-23

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

1 Thess 4:11 - (cuz it says in there -mind your own business-) - i used to cite that verse to people when i was irritated at them for criticizing me.

• prologos
    prologos

Isaiah 40: 31 :-- They will mount up on wings like EAGLES--" right about flight, wrong about only JWs will do it.

you have to have done it, to feel in the seat of your pants how eagles get llfted by hot air.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit