Do you have a favourite scripture?

by Ucantnome 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I have two.

Luke 4

16 He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
    to set the oppressed free,
    19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” (NIV)

1 Corinthians 15

19 And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world.(NLT)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

John 1 and John 3:16

Paul in Corinthians where you talks about nothing keeping us from the love of God, the principalities quote. I never noticed it as a Witness. It seems clear that Christians need not fret about God plaguing and terrorizing them. God's vengeance is over. God's love is the inbreaking of the kingdom of God.

All three scriptures emphasize love conquering all. Victory is assured for the believer. John 1 - the ode to the Trinity. The Word made flesh.

I also love the love quote from Paul as applied to Christ. It makes no sense as applied to human romantic love. When people use it at weddings, it drives me crazy. I would go with Jesus' first miracle at Cana.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Mark 11:

12 The next day, when they had come out from Beth′a·ny, he became hungry. 13 And from a distance he caught sight of a fig tree that had leaves, and he went to see whether he would perhaps find something on it. But, on coming to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season of figs. 14 So, in response, he said to it: “Let no one eat fruit from you anymore forever.” And his disciples were listening.

That scripture and its companions freed me.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Band on the Run,

I was thinking of Jesus first miracle at Cana as well and I mentioned it to a witness recently. I think I'm right that it was about 700 bottles of wine that Jesus made. if my calculations are correct. whatever it was it was a large amount.

I will read the others.

Black Sheep,

Could you explain more how it freed you? (Its late my brains not working that well)

I love this part of Luke 4:20 "The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him." I would love to have been there. I always hated answering at the hall and giving talks in the school.

• TOTH
    TOTH

The one where the bad guy got tent staked through the head. What made it stand out to me was the Highland congo in Albuquerque a costume party with the jw's dressed as Bible characters. One of the elders' sons went with some aluminum foil fashioned into a tent stake and it looked like it was passed through his head. He was of course scolded for doing that.

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Job chapters 38 to 41 when Yahweh shows up at last after Job has been begging to plead his case with him. Wonderful poetry.

Rob Crompton

http://snigsfoot.blogspot.com

• extractor
    extractor

Luke 23:43 (the thief on the cross) Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

All he had to do was ask Jesus. All he had to do was ask.

• talesin
    talesin

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

God appearing to Job out of the whirlwind is beautiful. I suffered agonizing pain and, poetry notwithstanding, I found God's answer lacking.

We should do a worst scripture thread.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Could you explain more how it freed you? (Its late my brains not working that well)

Try to make sense of cursing the fig tree, Mark 11 & Matthew 21, when you're not tired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit