Do you have a favourite scripture?

by Ucantnome 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Others tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to obtain a better resurrection.

This changed your mood in the night Ucantnome? How? When I look around the world and also historically at insane dictators who tortured people I am appalled.

When I read the yearbook about Malawi and Nazi Germany I thought why not agree to whatever these psychopaths want? Sign the form, just pretend to acquiesce to their demands. God knows your heart surely.

I felt the same way when I read about early Christians who would not burn a pinch of incense to the Roman emperor. When you think about Nero et al how could you reason with these monsters, why not just do it I thought.

That scripture you love says they allowed themselves to be tortured to obtain a better resurrection. I don't get it I'm afraid. Why fight monsters when God knows your heart anyway?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Xanthippe,

I have a book The History of Torture & Execution, Jean Kellaway that gives an account of a christian woman named Perpetua and her death in the arena on the celebration of the emperor Severus son's birthday. Very unpleasant.

I agree with you. I would probably give in. I don't like blood tests and things. God knows I'm weak.

I have sat here writing quite alot but I'm not a writer sorry.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

the fruit of the spirit in Galatians I think

any good advice from Proverbs. But screw the whole capable wife stuff; that's just sexist.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks for your reply Ucantnome. I don't think you're weak. I think your reaction to pain is normal. Take care.

• Pterist
    Pterist

1. The Eternal Plan revealed, beyond Eden ...Ephesians 1:5-10

2. He has given me Eternal Life, what more can he do, go work it out ! ! ( I'm speaking to myself LOL) 1 John 5:11-12

Shalom

• jgnat
    jgnat

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another - Proverbs 27:17

• Mum
    Mum

Galatians 3:28:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (May not be the exact words).

Regards,

SandraC

• prologos
    prologos

jgnat, you are so right, and then the sparks fly. and even the cutting edge gets seriously nicked in the sparring that can go on here.

better Ecl. 10:10 "--- iron tool --sharpened --, with a WHETTED edge--, sharpened with an symbolic emery whetting stone, as you do with appropriate quotations, citations.

One of my favored texts:

Isaiah 40:31. " They-- will mount with wings like eagles--. predicting the GLORIOUS , fixed-wing flight, using thermal-, slope- or dynamic soaring. humans will never be hummingbirds, but users of energy latent in the atmosphere.

• Mary
    Mary

Jeremiah 25:27:

This is what the Lord Jehovah has said: Drink and get drunk and puke and fall so that you cannot get up because of the sword I am sending you."

(I kid you not---look it up)

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Thank you all for posting on this thread.

Interesting comments. Some made me laugh. Thanks.

These are three scriptures that were important to me at the time I stopped preaching.

Matthew 24:30, And then the sign of the Son of man will appear in heaven and then all the tribes of the earth will beat themselves in lamentation. and they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (NWT)

Romans 6:7, For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin. (NWT)

Philippians 1:23, I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.(NRSV)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit