A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

ummmm ? doesn't seem that anyone wants to touch upon that psychological concept.

• cofty
    cofty

thetrueone - Do you mean the concept of sin in general?

"Born sick and ordered to be well" to quote Fulke Greville via Hitchens.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Yes pretty much .

Does this operant aspiration promote responsibility to one another from a human behavioral and psychological standpoint ?

As an example, I knew some pretty awful JWS growing up and I think they were that way because they had a personal redeemer

standing beside them holding themselves up every minute of the day.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

To some people this is invaluable in itself, some call it a proverbial crutch of sorts .

Some people cant wait and anticipate Sunday's redemption to resolve themselves of what they did during the past week.

No wonder some people hold their relationship with Jesus so firmly !

Without him they would be really lost within themselves or at least weaken as individuals.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "No answer I have ever been given has been wrong.
    I have been wrong plenty of times trying to do something on my own. But never has an answer that I have been given been wrong...." tec,above

Let's face it...

When someone has cognitive dissonance THIS deep (and I'm not sure that the term 'cognitive dissonance', is strong enough to encompass THIS level of self-delusion), then all the facts in the world, presented in the most logical, concise manner, would not get through this type of mental 'minefield'...

tec is a "Cafeteria Christian" - chooses bits and pieces that are most palatable to her, and ignores the rest.

One cannot have an honest debate with "Cafeteria Christians". One only ends up frustrated and - well, frankly, I ended up feeling quite disgusted...

The only thing that one can do, is leave them to their fantasies...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

"Cafeteria Christians". and one can assume they are standing at the smörgåsbord picking and choosing

only the items they want for themselves.

As the Church Lady used to say " How Convenient "

• tec
    tec

So was my description more or less accurate?

No, I'm sorry, but it was not accurate at all. See more below:

A perfect example of confirmation bias.
    If it turns out to be right it was an answer from god, if it is wrong it was you doing it on your own.

Not at all. If I am doing or deciding something on my own, then I have neither asked for nor heard a reply to begin with. It is on my own.

But if I ask and am given an answer or direction, then that answer has never been wrong.

It is NOT a case of... "I made a decision, and if it was good then it was from God, but if it was bad, then it was just me".

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

The only thing that one can do, is leave them to their fantasies...

This, by definition, is NOT leaving them to their fantasies... lol. Just sayin'. You bring my name up in other threads as well.

I would be interested in what you think in my statement describes cognitive dissonance though.

tec is a "Cafeteria Christian" - chooses bits and pieces that are most palatable to her, and ignores the rest.

Tec is a "Christ Christian" and finds it kind of hard to understand why others can't quite grasp what that means. Christ = truth. Everything else is secondary.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

TTO - I'm not too deep on psychology, as I am not a psychologist. But I think offering forgiveness, and having it offered to you, rather than carrying around guilt when there is no way to receive forgiveness from someone (perhaps someone you killed in an accident), has got to be good for you. It can offer a release, and allow you to move on with your life, unburdened by guilt.

Like anything, some people will abuse this seeming 'instant forgiveness'. But there are people who will abuse everything that is supposed to be good. That doesn't negate the good thing.

Peace,

tammy

• N.drew
    N.drew

I am sorry I can not post to the original post as my computer is mute.

I would like to respond to what I think explains the reason why Tammy is not a Cafeteria Christain.

Knowledge takes time. Also, all knowledge is not for everyone. Tammy is a young person.

For anyone thinking that she should have all her believing complete and in order is not fair.

I shall balance Zid's " well, frankly, I ended up feeling quite disgusted..." with - I always feel refreshed after reading Tammy's posts. I have a habit of clicking on a thread that she has posted on even if I have no interest in the discussion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit