A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That some remain in their faith, having drawn different conclusions, does not mean that they've fallen prey to confirmation bias

I think this is exactly what it means. Confirmation bias would be accepting everything that proves your belief while dismissing anything that disproves it. If you pray 99 times, but only get an answer once, some will focus on that one time and dismiss the rest. Like the person who told me he prayed for a compatible mate---since after the prayer it seemed he had met the perfect person he concluded that his prayer had been answered. The fact that, in time, she turned out to actually be somewhat psycho, did NOT cause him to go backwards and conclude the prayer had not worked.

NC

• tec
    tec

That is exactly my point. If you believe that you are "saved" (whatever that means) and a fellow human is unsaved there is no real basis for genuine relationship. One of you is destined for an eternity of bliss with your god and the other isn't. Of course this is divisive, you are dividing humanity into saved and unsaved.

Ah no. Did you read the rest of my quote? That last was an afterthought, which you focused on... though knowing that God wants all to come to Him, tends to keep you from making a judgment about who is a friend or enemy of God. The loving all according to the teaching of Christ and the not judging anyone... kind of keeps you from judging who might be a friend or enemy of God in the first place. We who believe in and follow Christ are called to love and to forgive; not to pass judgment upon anyone.

FFS don't insult me Tammy how many quotes from your previous comments about faith do you want me to post?

One where I state that I believe faith is a virtue.

I think faith is a good thing; but that doesn't mean that I did anything to earn it; OR that someone without faith is sinful. I don't make that judgment, even upon myself.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

I think this is exactly what it means. Confirmation bias would be accepting everything that proves your belief while dismissing anything that disproves it. If you pray 99 times, but only get an answer once, some will focus on that one time and dismiss the rest. Like the

person who told me he prayed for a compatible mate---since after the prayer it seemed he had met the perfect person he concluded that his prayer had been answered. The fact that, in time, she turned out to actually be somewhat psycho, did NOT cause him to go

backwards and conclude the prayer had not worked.

What happens if you prayed 99 times and only once didn't get an answer. (or have your request granted... lets never mind all the various interpretations of answers) Would it be confirmation bias then to conclude that prayer does not work?

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

"Faith is a good thing" is another way of saying "faith is a virtue". Please don't be pedantic.

Nothing you just said changes the saved/unsaved worldview that pollutes human relationships. It doesn't matter how hard you try not to judge.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Would you at least agree Tec that the many religious beliefs around the world have created walls of divisiveness within humanity

at times inciting wars, hatred and prejudice between these religious identities ?

• tec
    tec

This was my response to faith is a virtue, Cofty. Please read the whole thing.

I don't recall stating that I view faith as a virtue. Perhaps it is in some cases. In other cases, it might be following one's reason and the evidence presented to them. So then it is no more a virtue than is accepting evolution. Perhaps in some cases it is a simple gift... no

merit on the one who recieves that gift; simply based on God's own purpose.
    Virtue or flaw does not necessarily enter the equation. So there is nothing to judge... though the judgment itself is hardly 'of course'; and that is one of the reasons judging should be left to the wayside.

You are making things divisive, not me. I see many different options. You seem to see only two. Tell me how the above is irrational, please. Thank you.

Nothing you just said changes the saved/unsaved worldview that pollutes human relationships. It doesn't matter how hard you try not to judge.

Who said anything about trying?

And what I said DOES change that worldview - because as far as I am to look at the world and the people in it, the whole world is saved. That might not be true. But not judging prevents me from seeing anyone as not saved. So like I said, it might be the view of some... but not of most. And for me personally, I look at no one and think 'not saved'. I don't even look at myself and think 'saved'. Both are judgment calls, and I don't make them in regard to God.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Would you at least agree Tec that the many religious beliefs around the world have created walls of divisiveness within humanity
    at times inciting wars, hatred and prejudice between these religious identities ?
    All on their own? At times, yes, according to the religion that defines itself as truth and everyone else as wrong or less than human or unimportant, etc. Most of the time other factors are involved... politics, ambition, greed, power, nationalism: all of those using religious belief of the people (and fear in that) to help further their own ends. Because some people out of all religions (and non-religion) can live together in harmony and mutual respect.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

some people out of all religions (and non-religion) can live together in harmony and mutual respect.

Yes that's true. Thank god for people who don't take their religion seriously.

The best christians are bad christians.

• tec
    tec

How do you know they're bad Christians Cofty? How do you know they aren't the ones who ARE following the teachings of their Lord?

Your opinion does not make you right, same as Hitchens opinion did not make him right either. Its just more judging.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Its just more judging.

This last comment was unfair; and did not really apply. I also judge whether or not I think someone or something is right or wrong... though I do accept that sometimes they might just be at a different level of understanding than me (and perhaps it is me who is wrong).

But I retract that last bit about 'it being more judging'.

I leave the rest though, Cofty.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit