A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Speaking in terms of human psychology, do these structured theological teachings, such as the JW teachings for example help

in improving the mental health state of its adherents ?

Be rest assured that human psychology was not a known concept when most of these religious teachings had their beginning foundational roots.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Speaking in terms of human psychology, do these structured theological teachings, such as the JW teachings for example help

in improving the mental health state of its adherents ?

If you want to study religious structure and it's effect on human phychology you don't want your subject to be Jehovah's Witnesses. Not because they don't have religious structure, but because there is no way to tell that they are actually choosing it because of mind control. It would be better to study groups who follow the Kabbalah or something of that nature. Witnesses are just trained to act a certain way, they don't actually believe their doctrine because it's indefensible which puts them in the mind control cult category much moreso than the religion category.

-Sab

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

What happens if you prayed 99 times and only once didn't get an answer. (or have your request granted... lets never mind all the various interpretations of answers)

Well if you were working at it with the scientific method, and all variables are accounted for, the conclusion would be that prayer does not work. But it is not something that should be measured with science, necessarily, which is why it is tiring when people try to combine science with things that aren't part of the natural world---commonly know as pseudo-science, or at least one form of it.

But that's my point---prayer never fails in the minds of the believers. There is an explanation for every outcome, even though there is no shred of evidence. Frankly I'm happy to be rid of prayer---always looking outward for my strength, answers and guidance. It is one of the most disempowering things ever. Even looking at the posture of prayer (and I know it varies, and is not required, but most people assume some type of submissive stance) head down, eyes closed, maybe knees bent, hands clasped.

That is just no way to tackle the big problems. Chin needs to be up and fists clenched! And then, there is the mind game that follows when things simply don't improve. What did I do wrong? Why am I being subjected to this? What do i need to learn?

No. So glad to be rid of such a concept! Comparing to what I have accomplished without prayer as to what I accomplished with prayer, I get a lot more done now. I channel my energy much more effectively, and have a great deal more confidence in my ability to take on a challenge.

NC

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

because there is no way to tell that they are actually choosing it because of mind control.

I follow you on that Sab. good morning

But what religion doesn't structure itself in how its presented to the public, involving mind control to various degrees ?

Its underlining agenda is to mind control, is it not ?

Isn't that a part of the danger of religious teachings ?

• tec
    tec

Well if you were working at it with the scientific method, and all variables are accounted for, the conclusion would be that prayer does not work.

Okay... but you would go searching out all of those variables first, right? If there were a bunch of variables that could be responsible for that one prayer not being answered, when 99 times out of 100 the prayer had been answered, then you don't conclude that prayer doesn't work.

But it is not something that should be measured with science, necessarily,

I agree, and said so. Science does not have the tools to measure such things. (not yet, at least... perhaps one day)

But just as scientists seek out all of the variables, so too do people of faith.

But that's my point---prayer never fails in the minds of the believers.

But this is untrue. Some of those people become non-believers OR they simply stop believing in the power of prayer, yet remain believers in God.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

But that's my point---prayer never fails in the minds of the believers.

But this is untrue. Some of those people become non-believers OR they simply stop believing in the power of prayer, yet remain believers in God.

In that case they would not be believers---prayer does not fail in the minds of believers. If they no longer believe, then they see it for what it is.

NC

• tec
    tec

NC, there is a guy on this forum who is a believer, but who thinks people getting answers to their prayers is a load of crap. He does not believe prayer works, but he is a believer in God. Now I agree with him on almost nothing, lol... but he does e x ist, and I have never known anyone who is the SOLE person to believe something. There are always others who believe the same.

So he is a believer, who does not believe that God answers prayers.

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I am referring to those that believe in prayer. Naturally if one doesn't believe in prayer, regardless of other beliefs, it fails. But for those that believe (in the power of prayer) prayer does not fail. There is always a back up plan. Even unanswered prayers are not evidence of failure, because something unknown is being handled.

• tec
    tec

Well, yes, obviously if someone believes in prayer, and a prayer goes unanswered... they either look to the variables or they stop believing in prayer. (not necessarily God)

But looking at those variables is not (necessarily) evidence confirmation bias if those variables actually do e x ist.

Peace,

tammy

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

For the longest time throughout human history people were praying to their deities and waited for what was to happen

and to faithfully accept the incoming result, good or bad.

Their almighty god was in control of all things involving them and the world in which they lived in.

The writings of the bible, as a reference, proves this in regarding the ancient Hebrew civilization.

To the folly of those ancient people the next civilization close by were doing the exactly same thing as the Hebrews were doing.

Ironically 3000 years forward people are still waiting and praying toward their chosen god (Yahweh), (Allah) to do or exercise his Divine will.

Fortunately most of humanity today has realized that mankind has to take responsibility upon himself to make or create positive actions to better the

human experience for all concerned. So far this initiative has proved its own valuable worth, better and above than waiting on the gods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit