A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If you continue to wage war on God you will suffer the fate of everyone else who has attempted it. They all died trying.

And your not going to die trying to support God Sab. ?

What a stupid nonsensical comment, wrought with vindictiveness .

Whats wrong Sab. has the little lady pulled your pants down and given you a spanking with her intellect. ?

Your slowly but surely loosing respect on this forum as time moves on, including from myself.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

If you continue to wage war on God you will suffer the fate of everyone else who has attempted it. They all died trying

Oh Sab, are you KIDDING with this? What has happened to you lately? You are slipping more and more into fundamentalist thinking. You're making sweeping statements all over the place stating your latest flights of fancy as fact and it's getting a little disturbing. I know that you have a very active imagination and love exploring science fiction and fantasy but you're starting to believe it way too much. Take a step back and really think about what you've been putting out there because it's all fiction coming from your brain and strong desire to HAVE to believe in a higher power.

*said with love*

• sabastious
    sabastious

There are literally thousands of men who are being kept inside mental institutions, self proclaiming themselves the Messiah or Mohammad.

Another plausible reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging.

"Scientists" of the victorian era used to say masturbation was scientifically proven to cause insanity. According to the book Vitalogy, which was a medical encyclopdia of it's day. Here are before and after illustrations of someone who has given into the "destructive vice."

Vitalogy

page 48

SELF-POLLUTION.
    There are various names given to the unnatural and degrading
    vice of producing venereal excitement by the hand, or other means,
    generally resulting in a discharge of semen in the male and a corresponding
    emission in the female. Unfortunately, it is a vice by
    no means uncommon among the youth of both sexes, and is
    frequently continued into riper years.

Symptoms The following are some of the symptoms of
    those who are addicted to the habit: Inclination to shun
    company or society; frequently being missed from the company of
    the family, or others with whom he or she is associated ; becoming
    timid and bashful, and shunning the society of the opposite sex;
    the face is apt to be pale and often a bluish or purplish streak under
    the eyes, while the eyes themselves look dull and languid and the
    edges of the eyelids often become red and sore; the person can not
    look any one steadily in the face, but will . drop the eyes or turn
    away from your gaze as if guilty of something mean.

The health soon becomes noticeably impaired; there will
    be general debility, a slowness of growth, weakness in the lower
    limbs, nervousness and unsteadiness of the hands, loss of memory,
    forgetfulness and inability to study or learn, a restless disposition,
    weak eyes and loss of sight, headache and inability to sleep, or
    wakefulness. Next come sore eyes, blindness, stupidity, consumption,
    spinal affection, emaciation, involuntary seminal emissions,
    loss of all energy or spirit, insanity and idiocy the hopeless ruin
    of both body and mind. These latter results do not always
    follow. Yet they or some of them do often occur as the direct consequences
    of the pernicious habit.

The subject is an important one. Few, perhaps, ever think, or
    ever know, how many of the unfortunate inmates of our lunatie
    asylums have been sent there by this dreadful vice. "Were the
    whole truth upon this subject known, it would alarm parents, as
    well as the guilty victims of the vice, more even than the dread of
    the cholera or small-pox.

Preventive Measures When the parents are satisfied
    that their child is indulging in this habit, take immediate measures
    to break it up. It is a delicate matter for parents, especially for a
    father, to speak to his son about. It is different with the mother;
    she can more readily speak to a daughter upon subjects of that
    nature, and if guilty, portray to her the danger, the evil consequences
    and ruin which must result if the habit is not at once and
    124 SELF- POLLUTION.

forever abandoned. If persuasion and instruction will not do, other
    measures, such as will prove efficient, must be resorted to.
    In case of a son, perhaps the better way will be for the services
    of the family physician to be engaged. He can portray to the misjuidt'd
    young man the horrors and evils of the habit in their bearing,
    and his caution and advice will have weight. How to Detect and Prevent Secret Vice. Examination
    of the linen is usually conclusive evidence in the case of boys.
    lue genital organs, too, receive an undue share of attention. Tinpatient
    should be constantly watched during the day until he fails
    asleep at night, and be required to arise directly he wakes in the
    morning. In confirmed cases the night-dress should be so arranged
    that the hands cannot touch the genital organs.

Under no circumstances should nurses ever be permitted unnecessarily
    to handle or expose the genital organs ofchildren, and children
    should be taught at the very earliest period that it is immodest and
    even wrong, to handle the parts. When at school, as well as at
    home, every boy should have a separate led. The neglect of this
    important advice is a- frequent cause of bad habits being taught
    and practiced. In addition to a separate bed, he should be able to
    dress and undress apart from the observation of otJiers. The
    necessary privacy may be secured by partitions placed between the
    beds, but not extending up to the ceiling, so as to interfere as litth
    as possible with the ventilation. One of the few articles necessary
    in the sleeping room is a sponge hath. This, with a good-sized
    piece of honeycomb sponge, and a large towel or sheet, complete the
    outfit. The regular daily use of the sponge bath conduces greatly
    to the cure or prevention of self-abuse. The too free use of meat,
    highly-seasoned dishes, coffee, wine, late suppers, etc., strongly tend
    to excite animal propensities, which directly predispose to vice.

A Terrible Evil. In the City of Chicago in one school,
    an investigation proved that over sixty children under thirteen
    years of age were habitually practicing this degrading, health and
    life destroying habit, while among the older ones the habit was
    even worse, though not so easily detected.
    In a country school in Black Hawk Co., Iowa, one bad boy
    secretly taught all the rest until the entire school practiced this
    private vice during the noon hour when the teacher was away.
    In New Orleans nearly all the pupils in a large femaleboard*
    ing school were practicing this horrible vice and the scandal of tht
    fearful discovery is not yet forgotten.

Worth Millions. The foregoing article on self-abuse
    should be in the hands of every young person as it would be the
    means of saving many bright intellects from becoming stupid or
    imbeciles^ or lunatics or from filling premature graves and ot
    worth to them more than Astor^s millions.

^ Basically science started out really rough and there was a lot of misinformation that supposedly had reason and evidence. There's no need to throw people in the asylums for believing in God.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Oh Sab, are you KIDDING with this? What has happened to you lately? You are slipping more and more into fundamentalist thinking. You're making sweeping statements all over the place stating your latest flights of fancy as fact and it's getting a little disturbing. I know that you have a very active imagination and love exploring science fiction and fantasy but you're starting to believe it way too much. Take a step back and really think about what you've been putting out there because it's all fiction coming from your brain and strong desire to HAVE to believe in a higher power.

Hey Poopsie! Glad to see you here. You guys are quick to assume a death threat with a small amount of evidence. I don't blame you, people are very harsh to atheists. Most religionists think you are worse than child molestors which is a very imbalanced and hateful view. Of course they are frightened of atheists, they can back up their sh*t. Believing in God is fundamentalist thinking. It's how far people bring that thinking that's the problem, not fundamentalist thinking. I very much admit I have over used that term in the past. It's a generalization. I don't care for the Westburo Baptists but I support their right to exist, but I also support other people's right to have the urge to throw cabbage.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Your slowly but surely loosing respect on this forum as time moves on, including from myself.

I'm sad to hear that True, but your respect is not something I seek. I enjoy getting respect, but do not require it's retention. That would make me corruptible which I strive to be the ladder. I seek truth and believe to have found something that I can wrap my head around: God. With the kind of suffering that has happened to me in my life I will never believe that it was all for nothing. Not because I want a comfort blanket but because it doesn't make sense that there was no purpose. So, I am caught inbetween a rock and a hard place. Did I suffer in vain or not? I choose not because it made me who I am today. And that person has something to offer the world, just as you and NC, and Poopsie and Cofty and everyone else on this forum does.

-Sab

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Believing in God is fundamentalist thinking. It's how far people bring that thinking that's the problem, not fundamentalist thinking.

Are you seriously unable to see how one leads to the other? You mention the Westboro Baptists. They're a hate group and they cherry pick ideas from THE BIBLE to support their views. How is that different from what every believer does? I've seen people on here contort their brains into all kinds of pretzels to support their pet beliefs by cherry picking ideas from THE BIBLE. Why is that ok? The bible and those who believe that it's in any way inspired by a higher power is automatically a dangerous path. The fact that most don't choose the dangerous path doesn't change the fact that the potential for harm is a hair's breadth away.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Sab's adolescent world of mythological fantasy is where he wants to voluntarily place himself, in doing so there's an avoidance of

practical logic and a lack of a conclusive sense of reasoning.

No doubt his long term indoctrination of the JWS helped this and fostered where he is now.

20 years from now I'm confidently sure he's going to have a completely different theological mindset.

I'll talk to him more then.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I'll talk to him more then.

Peace True, you are a hell of a mind.

-Sab

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Scientists, of the Victorian era used to say masturbation was scientifically proven to cause insanity

But over continuing evaluation and conclusion that has proven to be false.

But men walking up and down streets proclaiming to be Jesus Christ or Mohammad are still being looked after in mental health institutes.

Just like they were in Victorian times.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Are you seriously unable to see how one leads to the other? You mention the Westboro Baptists. They're a hate group and they cherry pick ideas from THE BIBLE to support their views. How is that different from what every believer does? I've seen people on here contort their brains into all kinds of pretzels to support their pet beliefs by cherry picking ideas from THE BIBLE. Why is that ok? The bible and those who believe that it's in any way inspired by a higher power is automatically a dangerous path. The fact that most don't choose the dangerous path doesn't change the fact that the potential for harm is a hair's breadth away.

What is the power that leads an idea to extremism? Choice. Where does choice come from? Our answers, I suspect, may be a what is fundamentally difference between our viewpoints.

The Bible can be interpreted in completely different ways depending on how you translate the texts. The translation step can be used to identify frauds. The Watchtower paints the Serpent of the Garden like a preconcieved liar which is not what Genesis says. It clearly describes the serpent as crafty. If he was just a liar, and nothing else, he would have been represented by a different animal. A preconcieved lie is not really all that crafty, it's just lying. To really convince someone of something they wouldn't normally do you have to cater to their ego. That's what the serpent did and that's the human's number one problem even to this day. Not the serpent, but the medium he uses to get to us: our egos.

So, with interpretations of the Bible you are going to see mostly a bunch of egotistical crazy people frameworks. Luckily they are easy to identify and reject. I'm not entirely sure to what your point is?

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit