A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Just caught this short video of Christopher Hitchens in a debate involving religious theology and I thought

how close it came to the JW theology and its own inherent sociological and psychological damage that it causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3YgQfR3sEM&feature=related

• cofty
    cofty

The problem is not confined to the extreme fundamentalists.

Any belief system that divides humanity into god's buddies and god's enemies is corrosive to human relationships.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

I do like a good Hitchslap.

Actually trueone, I thought the same thing a few weeks ago, when I heard it for the first time.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Any belief system that divides humanity into god's buddies and god's enemies is corrosive to human relationships.

Very true Cofty, Indifference and hatred between structured belief systems breaks down many social cohesive inter-relationships.

We experience that hatred being JWS, in the way all other religions either of Christendom or not were all evil, worthy to be destroyed along

with the people who were associated with those religions.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The heading of this thread is misleading and is not what Hitchens is saying. You could say the same about political or philosophical ideas. Its not theological teachings that are dangerous in themselves, its religious fanaticism and intolerance and genocide in the name of religion that he is saying is utterly hideous. Any idea can be used and subverted by a fanatic towards evil ends, not just religious. History of replete with examples of them.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The heading of this thread is misleading

You'll notice that I put the word most into the topic thread.

Hitchens may have just brought forward the bad side of theological teachings, there are obviously good teachings

as well, I think he was focusing on the bad singularly alone.

• ziddina
    ziddina

In my opinion, anytime the human race is indulging in self-delusional behavior, it is dangerous...

Let's look at some other self-delusional behaviors...

A recent "Nova" discussed the tendency of people to act AGAINST their own financial best interests...

This, too, is a form of self-delusional behavior.

Young people who go ahead and start smoking or using drugs are also indulging in self-delusional behavior - it's that "It won't happen to ME - I can HANDLE it..." mentality.

The vast cosmetic surgery industry is also based to a large extent on self-delusion. "I'll have my chin lifted and my eyes tightened - that'll make me look 18 again..."

I could keep on going, but you get the picture...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

In my opinion, anytime the human race is indulging in self-delusional behavior, it is dangerous...

Good point Ziddina, what Hitchens was trying point out is when mankind works in a frame work of delusion

of are god is real, yours is not, therefore I hate you and you must die, pretty much promotes problematic sociological human behavior.

The ancients really didn't have a choice since they were subjugated by their own ignorance of the world they lived in.

Today we have acquired enough knowlege, that we should not be relegating are self toward the gods to solve humanity's problems.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Christopher Hitchens: "If you don't believe that there is to be an end, a separation of the sheeps and the goats, condemnation, a final one, then you are not really a believer."

Hello True, thanks for posting the video. Hitchens is using a prevalent pitfall of religion and is using that to wage war against God. His motivations are just, he wants people to embrace medicine instead of waiting for a rapture. But he seems to be completely ignorant to what the Bible says likely because at one point in his life he started looking at it with a cynical eye and never stopped. Once he entered the cycle he stopped being able to see the people of religion for who they really are. Religion is not the problem just as government is not the problem, it's just people behind the wheels that need to be removed from power.

A don't know enough about the Quran to have a solid opinion, but the Bible doesn't tell people to be bigots and look down on them. The Bible says that a Book of Life exists, but that the names within it are completely secret as well as how to get into it. For anyone to call themselves a Christian and paints a clear picture of who's going to hell and who's going to heaven is not a Christian at all. They just say they are to feel good about themselves. Hitchen's should have attacked dishonesty, not God.

As for the world around us, Hitchens shouldn't blame anyone for having an overtly negative outlook. Such a negative outlook may predispose the person to a religion that teaches most people perish. The world needs to reclaim faith and put it in it's rightful place, not rub it out of existence.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

The atheists also have an ideal that is very dangerous. It's the idea that we don't have a choice in the matter. They say that we are just the sum of our parts with no connection to something higher than ourselves. Many people need to feel they have a choice even if philosophy is required to understand the nature of their choices. Many religions preach that you don't have a choice either, but that's just the same problem.

We have a choice, because God made us that way.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit