What Is Your Favorite Overlooked Movie?

by gilwarrior 137 Replies latest social entertainment

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

There are two other films that I would like to mention.

The first one is "The Shawshank Redemption." The movie was made in 1994 at a cost of 40 million and only made 20 million. By all accounts it would be considered to be a bomb. However, when it was released on video, it was the most rented movie of 1995, beating other more praised movies like "Forrest Gump" and "Pulp Fiction." So the audience for the film was at the video store not the theatre. Interesting!

The second one is "Twenty Bucks." It starred Brandon Fraser, Elizabeth Shue, Steve Buscemi, and Christoper Lloyd. It was about a twenty dollar bill and the lives of the people that it passes through. Another great movie that nobody saw. Just as interesting is the story behind it. The original screenplay for the film was written in (believe it or not!) 1935! However, it was turned down by the major studios at the time and was forgotten. When, the screenwriter died, his great-grandson found the screenplay among his papers, rewrote it, and sold it. The movie was made sixty years later in 1995.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• waiting
    waiting

Shawshank Redemption!!!!!!

Every time I recommend that movie to someone, I have to warn them that they must sit through some gore for the first part.......but it's soooooooooo well worth it - because you can then understand the second part.

Just one of the great movies.

Btw, Tim Robbins, was in a comedy with Martin Lawrence couple of years ago - was one of the funniest movies I ever saw. Anybody remember the name of it?

WHO HAS SEEN "MOMENTOS" - my psych prof. & I disagreed on how he got brain damaged - (I'm not giving anything away, btw.) [B]E-mail me with the ending? I've seen it 2/3 times - and I disagree with prof. Since he deals in memory, he didn't believe my deductions. Dork.

waiting

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Mementos.....Wow! that was an awesome movie. Put your thinking cap on for that one. I loved it!

TimB

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER is one of my all time favs. Along with SAY ANYTHING, MEMENTO, and LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Some Like It Hot, starring Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. Great Movie of men in drag.

Also, The Committments. A great movie, set in Ireland, about a rag tag group trying to make it big on the music scene. They actually sing some great old tunes with a new flair.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

An incredible movie is "Jacob's Ladder". It's a psychological thriller that you may have to watch more than once to untangle, but it's worth it. It came out in 1990 and stars Tim Robbins. Roger Ebert said he found himself thinking about it for days.

Another good one that takes a little untangling (but not as much) is "Twelve Monkeys".

As an aside, another movie that mentions Witnesses is "The Coneheads". David Spade has a supporting role as an FBI agent who uses a handful of Watchtowers to get a look inside the alien's house. Do not mistake this for my recommendation of a good movie.

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

The Hudsucker Proxy (great Coen brother's flick)
    Blood Simple (another Great Coen brothers's flick)

Love sci fi, so have to throw these in:

Zardoz (anybody remember that one?)
    Logan's Run

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Running Man,

I loved "Jacob's Ladder." I have to admit I didn't know what the hell was happening during the entire movie until the end when it cleared up what was happening to him.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

The Evil Dead parts I and II are classics, as are Dawn of the Dead, the Hellraiser series, and the first couple of Texas Chainsaw Massacre flicks.

Don't overlook the Devil in Miss Jones part II (Dark Bros).

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

I loved Shawshank Redemption. That is the best movie.

I saw Zero Effect...that was a really bizarre movie...but good.

Very Bad Things, Being John Malcovich, Living in Oblivion, The Last Supper are some other really strange comedy flicks.

Suicide Kings, U-Turn, The Game, and Delores Claiborne are some strange "suspense".

sadie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit