What Is Your Favorite Overlooked Movie?

by gilwarrior 137 Replies latest social entertainment

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

The Saint!!!! GREAT MOVIE!

(watching it right now acutually, s'wat made me think of it)

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Anything Terry Gilliam, Anything Coen Brothers (especially Millers Crossing), anything Scorsese.

ashi

• jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

DEBBY DOES THE FARM

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I'll add mine without reading the others and see who I agree with.

October Sky (Boy without hope of football scholarship does good with rockets in mining town...based on true story.)

The Iron Giant (Fear and distrust in the cold war, animated movie)

Oh Brother Where art thou (Major Grammy hit though)

Pleasantville (Black and white 50s ideal society meets the color of the real world)

The Wonder Boys (Supporting role for Robert Downey Jr who manages to stay out of jail for the entire production)

Remember the Titans (Not bad for a movie I watched flying over the Atlantic)

Galipolli (Wonderful Aussie movie and early Mel Gibson role..sad ending too)

Actually, I like a good many well made and well acted Aussie movies that you only ever see on cable channels like Bravo. Many Aussie movies have sad endings, I guess Aussie men know how to cry.

Thirdson

• chasson
    chasson

Is someone has seen the french's movie: Amélie Poulain ?

Bye

Charles

• Gopher
    Gopher

Speaking of Aussie movies (as Thirdson did 2 posts ago),

How about Muriel's Wedding? Life is an ABBA song!!

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• larc
    larc

My choices are old flicks that rarely are rerun on tv.

Woman Under the Influence - about the first day home for a woman who had been in a mental hospital. Peter Falk played the husband. It was before his Columbo days.

The Beguiled - A wounded northern soldier is cared for by some southern women. Clint Eastwood plays the soldier, and his style is different than in later movies.

Night Of The Hunter - A sociopathic minister is after two kids, who have some money hidden. Robert Mitchem is the minister.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Larc.
    Night of the Hunter was a shocking film. very disappointing, I thought.Robert Mitchum was terrible. Anyway.
    How about "Flight of the Eagle". Jan Treole film from Sweden or thereabouts. Made in the 80s, true story about an attempt to reach the North pole by balloon in 1900(about). Balloon crashed, all the guys (eventually) got eaten by polarbears.
    Great film. Noone saw it.

• Rummy1
    Rummy1

I love James Woods specially his '80's movies:
    Cop
    Salvador
    Best Seller
    Videodrome
    He also did a film with Robert Downey jr about a lawyer, can't remember the name of that one..i think it had a different name in England than US (you know like Above the Law is called Nico here!)
    Oh yeah The Ref is called Hostile Hostages in England.Funny film.
    Boyz and the Hood
    Menace 2 Society
    Open Your Eyes(spanish version of Vanilla Sky)
    Southern Comfort

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Here's some of overlooked good films of the darker variety. If you like watching "Shawshank" type films, dont' bother with these:

"Damage," staring Jeremy Irons. It's a film about sexual obsession. A high profile English politician falls for his son's wife.

"Requiem for a Dream. Director's Cut." Head and shoulders over "Blow" and "Traffic" in exposing how taking drugs or dealing them can utterly destroy your life. I warn you, this is perhaps the most unpleasant film I have ever seen. It's genius, but I never never want to see it again. A descent into hell.

"Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer." Another cheery flick that motivated me to buy an alarm for my home. Disturbing, but well made.

"American Psycho." Not a slasher flick but more a commentary on the soulessness of materialism and people in general. There is a sarcastic sense of humor running through this film if you get it...
    or care to get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit