What Is Your Favorite Overlooked Movie?

by gilwarrior 137 Replies latest social entertainment

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

What I am talking about a movie that you thought was great, but is mostly forgotten by most people today.

Well, my favorite overlooked movie is "A Perfect World." In it Kevin Costner is an escaped felon who escapes from prison with another felon. They then break into a house and kidnap a boy who is a (gasp!) JW. Clint Eastwood is the cop who assigned to find him and the boy.

The movie is interesting, because the boy does not act like a kidnapped victim. Acually, the Costner and the boy like each other and we see a bond formed. We learn that Costner had a bad childhood and later he takes the boy out to trick or treat. (Remember the boy was raised as a JW.) Another interesting thing is how Costner makes this character likeable. He is kind to the little boy and when we find the details of his life I kind of felt sorry for him. We realize that he in not necessarily an evil person.

The best since in the movie is when Costner and the boy are staying at the house of some strangers who have given them a place to stay. We see the way the grandfather treat the little boy of the house and this causes Costner to explode in a rage of violence.

The suprise is at the end when we find out a connection between Costner and Eastwood. Although there is not much violence in this movie, there is a shooting at the end, but it doesn't happen the way you think it would in a movie like this.

Next to "Schnidner's List" this was the best movie of 1993. It is ashame that most people didn't see it. It was also one of the few movies to protray Jehovah's Witness. If you get a chance do rent it, do so. You would be surprised.

"I have so much love to give, but no one to give it to."

William H. Macy - "Magnolia"

• Gopher
    Gopher

It depends on what you would call a GREAT movie. This was a great comedy, called "What's Up Doc", filmed in 1973, directed by Peter Bogdanovich. Here's the plot summary:

Howard Bannister (Ryan O'Neal) travels to San Fransisco with his fiance (Madeline Kahn) to compete for a musicology research grant, when he runs into a wild, unpredictable college drop out (Barbra Streisand) who brings "havoc and chaos everywhere (she) goes." Add to this a case of mistaken luggage, a jewel theft, and some government spies, and several plot twists.

This movie has me rolling on the floor every time, and is a great throwback to the romantic screwball comedies of the 1930's and 1940's.

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Angharad
    Angharad

I love that film Gopher!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Definitely "Sibling Rivalry" with Kirsty Alley.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• joelbear
    joelbear

I enjoyed Perfect World and Whats Up Doc. I can't remember a single other movie where there was actually a character that was a JW. We should write a screen play.

My nominee for Overlooked Movie would be The Razor's Edge (Bill Murray Version). Its a fascinating story and in my top 10 of all time list.

hugs

Joel

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Anyone remember "The Gods Must Be Crazy"?? I thought that movie was hilarious!

Dana

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I have a few that are my favorites that are overlooked.

"Last Temptation of Christ" blew me away. I love that film, but I know very few people, with the exception of some on this board, that have seen it.

"Sorcerer." Four desperate men on the run drive two trucks full of unstable nitro/dynamite through a South American jungle hell. Directed by William Freidkin who did "The French Connection" and "The Exorcist." I can't figure out why the film is named "Sorcerer."

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

I really like films that are based on real people's experiences. Two of my favorites are "Shine" with Geoffrey Rush, based on the life of mentally-ill pianist David Helfgott, and "Champions" which is about a jockey named Bob Champion who overcame cancer and won the Grand National on a horse that had been injured so badly that the owners almost put it down. (The steeplechase sequence at the end of the film is just bitchin.) Both movies have weepy happy endings.

I also thought "The Razor's Edge" with Bill Murray was a wonderful film but audiences apparently weren't ready to see the funny man in a straight role.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Agreeing with Dana -- "The Gods Must Be Crazy" is a classic from South Africa. I appreciate the fresh un-Hollywood style of this comedy and its incisive but subtle sarcasm regarding the question "who is civillized, the inhabitants of Johannesburg or the bush people"? Yeah, the COKE bottle that dropped from the sky is the "evil thing".

The sequel was needless and didn't hold up well in comparison to the original.

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• waiting
    waiting

I thought Shine was great also.

What's Up Doc? was my favorite until Buckaroo Bonzai in the 5th Dimension came along.

The Usual Suspects is my all-time favorite - Kevin Spacek's first starring roll, I think. Just great.

If ya'll have not seen Momentos - well worth it. The reviewer said he watched it - and immediately rewatched it. I thought he was lying. I watched it - and immediately rewatched it. In Psych class, we're talking about this memory disorder currently. Until the movie, I didn't even know it existed.

A very sobering movie done in Ireland is The War Zone. I believe the director, Tim Roth (?), was highly praised for this movie. About family life there - very good.

waiting

ps - edited for trying to type with coffee in one hand

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit