IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking
    God hides Himself from the proud

I suppose this can be taken at least two ways...it could be wisdom...advice to humble ourselves.

Or...it could be criticism...and something that people who don't believe can never live up to....therefore condeming them as being proud.

• still thinking
    still thinking

N.drew........many thanks for trying to keep the thread on track...

• still thinking
    still thinking

It is such a release, and so peaceful, to simply accept your faults and sins and nature... to stop hiding from them, to stop denying them.

(living a lie, in other words) And to know that Christ accepts and loves you... that he sees all the weaknesses and faults and has already

forgiven those things. That is grace.

tec...that is indeed a peaceful feeling...I have experienced that myself when I believed...but I have experienced that same peace whilst not really believing too....and it is about simply accepting your faults and wrongdoings and nature...to stop hiding from them, to stop denying them....just doing this gives me incredible peace...this can be achieved without a god...we can give this gift to ourselves.

This is not enough to make me believe in a god. For some strange reason I can't shake the feeling there is something more. But I still cannot for the life of me figure out if it is just wishful thinking on my part.

• still thinking
    still thinking

N.Drew

I think what I said is we do not need religion or even someone to tell us that God is real to believe God is real. I believe people have the capacity to know God is real and true without hearing it from someone else.

This is the crux of the matter...how many humans have not heard it from someone else? How can we ever discern if we truly believe it because God personally touches our hearts...and it is not implanted in our hearts by the culture that we live in?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    This is not enough to make me believe in a god. For some strange reason I can't shake the feeling there is something more. But I still cannot for the life of me figure out if it is just wishful thinking on my part.

That's the point I'm at too.....

I've been recently looking at the benefits of belief......and I don't see that they are any more benefitted than unbelievers.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Vanderhoven...

From my understanding of what you have written...we cannot know the real god without the bible...but we need god to help us discerne what is true. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg to me. Which came first?

• N.drew
    N.drew

How can we ever discern if we truly believe it because God personally touches our hearts, and it is not implanted in our hearts by the culture thatwe live in?

The way I believe God is not like anyone else that I know. So, where did I hear it?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Van: God hides Himself from the proud

....and exposes himself to the naive. How convenient.

If only Outlaw were here he could post an appropriate pic.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    The way I believe God is not like anyone else that I know. So, where did I hear it?

Conveniently, it's your own thoughts and desires.

I'm always amazed that the people who know what God wants, God seems to want what THEY want.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I'm always amazed that the people who know what God wants, God seems to want what THEY want.

This does not apply to me. To my knowledge God and I do not want the same things other than peace on Earth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit