IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

mP...I realize that about Sophia...

sorry, my humour was lost in translation...have you been following this thread? tec said earlier that asking God to do things was like asking him to do party tricks.

What you are saying about the vespasians is interesting...and 666..I am going to have a look.

• mP
    mP

still

sorry i appreciate ypu have done research about sophia, i was just adding to ibfo you habe already presented :::)

• still thinking
    still thinking

Sweet as mP....you often come up with some interesting stuff....I'm glad you have been a part of this thread....

• Wizard of Oz
    Wizard of Oz

@still thinking '''''''''''' Unless of course, you had some direct line back to the apostles or the other 'witnessess' and these stories were handed down to you....or whoever told them to you.

Anyone want the Roman side of the story. The Romans were big on history. Tacitus is an historian. Not sure but think he was probably the "GAIUS" referred to by Paul...........at the end of Romans ch16 v21-24. I think the timeline fits

Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus

Bornca 56 A.D.
    Diedca 117 A.D.
    OccupationSenator, consul, governor, historian
    GenresHistory, Silver Age of Latin
    SubjectsHistory, biography, oratory
  • tec
    tec

LOL tec...for most of us the first way we heard about Christ was word of mouth...usually our parents talking to us or school etc when we were too young to read the bible...and yes...IT IS STILL BASED on the BIBLE (the printed book).
    That doesn't make us like the people in the first century at all...because, if Jesus is real, they heard it from him, people who were eye witnessess or people who knew the eyewitness. And the story hadn't spent 2,000 years being changed to what we have now which is the basis of the word of mouth that you were given. Unless of course, you had some direct line back to the apostles or the other 'witnessess' and these stories were handed down to you....or whoever told them to you.

I didn't mean it was how the eyewitnesses learned about him. I meant it was the way those who were not eyewitnesses learned about him. Word of mouth. Yes, of course, it has been handed down for 2000 years now. But as long as people were still giving witness to Him, we would still know about Him. Written testimonies or not. Though I consider the witness testimonies simply a written word of mouth.

There is more evidence to say that these writers were not Mathew, Mark, LUke & John than there is...in fact...the writers are more than likely anonymous. And we are taking their word for it...people who don't even identify themselves....hmmmmmm....who does that

remind you of???? New World Translators ring a bell????

No, it cannot compare. The gospel according to... does not mean that someone stole someone's identity; it can just as easily mean that this is what so-and-so told us. Traditions were different then than they are now. The book of Luke does seem to be written by Luke... and he states that he was not an eyewitness to Christ anyway, but rather someone who has investigated the matter.

How can you be so sure that those who no longer believe didn't do this ? Nearly every account I have read on this site shows the love and belief that they had...and the pain of losing that belief genuinely believed, and most seem to have agreed with what he stood for and most seemed to do their best to follow him.....why was that not enough?
    You misunderstood me. I was not making any comment whatsoever on the sincerity or faith or status of those who lost their faith. I was making the point that simple belief (such as God proving to the world that he is real) is not more important than doing His will. Living according to the teachings and eamples that Christ showed us. So that these signs that people ask for might get them to believe He is real. (a big 'might') But that doesn't mean that they are going to follow Him. Believing He is real and not following him means nothing. So perhaps now we have to follow Him in faith, in spirit, and in love... first. For however long. That is up to Him. Instead of what happened before, Him showing signs to get people to know he was real, but that did not ensure that they followed Him. Or live in mercy, love and forgiveness. They believed in Him, but went their own way. Satan knows God is real too. Hitler. Al Queda. Members of the WBB church.
    That comment tec is judgemental....because in effect you are saying that the believers in some way failed...(they may even have been unable to see their own hypocrisy...may have been hurting others and doing as they please)...Any other reasons you may like to give of why we failed?

See above. I wasn't making any commentary on atheists whatsoever, or on those who lost their faith. It had everything to do with the meaninglessness of 'signs' to prove God is real, if you are still not going to follow Him.

Some who think they know him are not known by Him.

Similarly, some who think they know nothing of Him, ARE known by Him.

In a very 'religious way, you have just condemned all athiests on this site. And before you say you didn't aim that at anyone...what was the point in saying that?

Hopefully I have shown what I meant better above. If it is still unclear, let me know.

Peace,

tammy

• LV101
    LV101

Thank you mP and stillthinking. Have to say some of you have really made a concerted effort w/research/knowledge and I appreciate your passing it on

• still thinking
    still thinking

There is more evidence to say that these writers were not Mathew, Mark, LUke & John than there is...in fact...the writers are more than likely anonymous. And we are taking their word for it...people who don't even identify themselves....hmmmmmm....who does that

remind you of???? New World Translators ring a bell????...me

No, it cannot compare. The gospel according to... does not mean that someone stole someone's identity; it can just as easily mean that this is what so
    -and-so told us. Traditions were different then than they are now. The book of Luke does seem to be written by Luke... and he states that he was not an eyewitness to Christ anyway, but rather someone who has investigated the matter...tec.

I don't recall saying that I thought someone stole someones identity...I said, we do not know who those writers are...so how can we put any faith in what they claim.

And so, the book of luke was NOT written by an eyewitness...and he only investigated the matter...much like we are now? So I can put that much faith in what you claim is scripture in the bible because you are simply investigating the matter too.

Who are these witnessess you keep referring to that we should trust?

• still thinking
    still thinking
    So that these signs that people ask for might get them to believe He is real. (a big 'might') But that doesn't mean that they are going to follow Him.....tec

But tec...who are you aiming that comment at? We are asking if he is real....we are asking if there could be a sign or something...but that comment isn't aimed at us???????

Satan knows God is real too. Hitler. Al Queda. Members of the WBB church. ...tec

LOL tec....How do you KNOW that?

• tec
    tec

I don't recall saying that I thought someone stole someones identity...I said, we do not know who those writers are...so how can we put any faith in what they claim.

I misunderstood then.

But writing something 'according to' is not evidence of not being able to trust the writing itself.

I think we spend too much time trying to judge the person who did the writing rather than testing the writing and message itself.

And so, the book of luke was NOT written by an eyewitness...and he only investigated the matter...much like we are now? So I can put that much faith in what you claim is scripture in the bible because you are simply investigating the matter too.

I don't know what you mean here.

Who are these witnessess you keep referring to that we should trust?

I'm not sure that I said there are witnesses that we should trust. Just that there are witnesses. I trust the accounts due to the truth that I see in them; due to their corroboration; due to what I hear and understand in spirit as well. As for you and anyone else, you should investigate and test for yourself.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I think we spend too much time trying to judge the person who did the writing rather than testing the writing and message itself.

Not true...we cannot judge the person doing the writing of the NT...we don't know who they were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit