IS GOD REAL? HOW DO YOU KNOW?

by still thinking 778 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Tammy, you say you had to listen a long time before you could hear him, that you persisted in that faith and would maintain it however long it took, despite the fact that no signs are given and that you won't ask anyway, right?

That seems to be pure confirmation bias - the intentional suppression of critical thinking. If I persisted in such a course, how could I see/hear anything BUT what I set out to see at the beginning? Do you agree with that?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    LV: you're right but what positive change in their lives because of their faith plus the majority of Muslims are not allowed any other belief options. They're on the wrong God as I'm enjoying d's post above.

ehhh, now I'm confused, LV.

I'm sure devout Muslims could provide a list of positive changes in their lives, though. Not in line with my perception, of course. :-)

• tec
    tec

you say you had to listen a long time before you could hear him, that you persisted in that faith and would maintain it however long it took, despite the fact that no signs are given and that you won't ask anyway, right?
    That seems to be pure confirmation bias - the intentional suppression of critical thinking. If I persisted in such a course, how could I see/hear anything BUT what I set out to see at the beginning? Do you agree with that?

Gotcha! Very clear, thank you for staying patient.

Believe it or not, I have asked myself this many times. Even before I heard (or rather recognized Him as who I heard). "How could I trust that I am hearing him... that I wasn't just hearing myself, or my own reasoning, or my own inner voice?" I still ask this of myself at time.

I do test things. Not at the time that I hear (be that in understanding, or direction, or a knowing granted, or words). I have no doubt then (and there are things that accompany hearing him, over hearing myself, as I stated) but the doubts come after and in between... because it seems to be in our nature (or at least mine) to doubt; to have weak faith, no matter how many times I am shown that He is True. But I do ask myself if I could have known this (whatever I am hearing) on my own... even through a subconscious working of my mind. Is it something I have been pondering? Is it based on something new that I recently learned... and could I have connected the dots on my own?

Sometimes I could have connected the dots on my own... it is not impossible. Improbable perhaps... but that is subjective.

And sometimes... no. Sometimes I am given knowledge that I never thought of, considered, read, learned somewhere else, or that might be similar to recent conversations, etc.

Nothing I have heard has been wrong ( and not necessarily a voice, but direction; understanding; a knowing granted ). The guidance I recieve is always right. I don't personally have that great of a batting average.

Prayer, for me, works in much the same way as above. Some things could be coincidence. But not all things. I'd be a blind fool to think so. (I mean, I can be blind fool, but even I can only be so much of a blind fool)

Now, I assume you were just speaking about hearing, so that is what i responded to. But I did want to clear up something in your quote above, regarding 'not asking for a sign' and 'maintaining faith however long it took', meant that I would follow without asking for a sign, trusting God lead me to wherever he wanted me to be... however long that took (due to whatever mistakes I might make along the way). I trusted Him to get me there; wherever 'there' might be.

Christ and His teachings and life are the only sign I needed, to follow God. It is because of Christ that I loved God, and could trust Him to lead me.

I think the above answers your question this time :)

Peace,

tammy

• LV101
    LV101

yeah --- i didn't answer that right/sorry.

I suppose there's evidence of devout change.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I just heard a great quote that has nothing to do with this thread, that somehow fits anyway:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

• tec
    tec

I think that quote usually always fits, FHN :)

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

While true, the same goes for Bertrand Russell's teapot, which orbits the Sun between Earth and Mars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

... or does it?

• FlyingHighNow
  • just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Absence of the word "evidently", evidently does not mean absence of logic.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh boy, people are going to take that quote and uber intellectualize it. It's beautiful and meaningful in it's simplicity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit