The "invisible" Elephant in the room: ELDERLY JW's nobody provides for

by Terry 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I fund this tidbit. Apparently being elderly gentlemen with cancer isn't enough to merit any attention once your usefullness is gone.

Joseph Franklin Rutherford died alone in 1942. According to the coroner's report, it was several days before he was found dead at the bottom of a stairwell with rat bites on his face and hands.

Rat bites? How unsanitary had it become in there?

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

JFR's death certificate.

Bangalore

• Terry
    Terry

Wow. J.F.Rutherford, the mouthpiece of Jehovah....the man who had the holy spirit whispering in his ear died of Asshole cancer!

I repeat: Wow.

• Terry
    Terry

Here the Watchtower Society tells the BIG LIE they can't run away from:

• designs
    designs

Awake 1969- As many of us saw college vaporize before ours eyes.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Simon Morley:

I totally agree with your post above about the JWs in the coffee shop. You mention how the "....Boomers and the congregations have one hell of a social problem on their hands in the next decade....elderly JWs who listened to false prophecy and do not have savings tucked away to help them, etc., etc." I foresaw this years ago and I didn't need a crystal ball either!

I was a person who was criticized because I work full time. I had to listen to stupid remarks about materialism from even stupider people and was made to feel that I was doing "wrong" because I provided for myself. Actually I had to because nobody else was providing for me!! You know what the sickest irony about all this is ?? I would have been the last person in the congregation to be helped if I were in need!!! They would be helping "pioneers" and popular people in the cliques first. I would have been S.O.L. and I was well aware of that fact. Maybe I would get somebody's left-overs in a plastic container but that would be about it !!! I feel badly about anybody who fell hook, line and sinker for the religion's promises and didn't provide for themselves, but I certainly don't want these people running after me! Let them run after the religion!!! And, you are probably right that the religion will trot out the scriptures in Ruth left and right.

Just knowing the trouble that is shortly on the horizon is enough to make me grateful that I am no longer involved with the religion! It is truly enough to make you want to run and duck and cover.

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

I am aware of many problems in the Borg that have made people on this site and other Jdub sites leave such as teaching changes, child abuse, disfellowshipping, blood issues, etc. My reason for leaving, well the straw that broke the camel's back anyway, was the attitude shown towardso the elderly, drawn to my attention by the fact that my mother was a victim.

I was caring for her until she became too much for me, she was developing dementia and was incontinent as well as having severe mobility issues. I placed her in a Baptist nursing home where she received excellent care from staff who were of many faiths, not just Baptist. She was there for six years. In that time the only visitors she had were me, my daughter and occasionally my husband. A sister in the cong visited too while her elder husband waited in the car for her. She died suddenly after mum had been there for about two years, so after that, no one.

Towards the end we discovered that an elders wife was in there too. She also received no visitors. The elder told my husband that no one asked about her and if he mentioned her, people either changed the subject, ignored the comment or walked away. I had exactly the same experience in the cong. They can't count the time so they don't do it.

One day I went to visit mum and found the chaplain sitting by her bed reading from the NWT bible to her. He said that as she had no clergy visits, he took it upon himself to give her some spiritual time, he hoped without going against her faith. He also said that she was not being singled out for neglect and that there were other witnesses in other Baptist homes who were being treated the same. What a great witness!

Mum passed away in 2013. When she died, I did not even tell the brothers. The only sympathy I got was from the nursing home staff and the Funeral Directors. I conducted mum's funeral with only my husband, daughter and two funeral people present.

The last meeting we attended was the memorial of 2013.

i have read since about remnant, bethel and elders, pioneers etc., being treated the same way. All this has reinforced my decision not to go back to the meetings.

What do you say to a 10 year old girl when she asks, "Why doesn't any one care about nana?".

• scary21
    scary21

I get so upset reading all this. I have made posts about how the JW's threw my elderly widowed mom under the bus. They make me sick.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Sore subject with me too.

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

i know of a case in a cong where I used to be, in fact it is the cong where my mother, mentioned above, and my father were before they died.

There were a couple there who had a disfellowshipped daughter who they had shunned for years. The husband was in poor health and his wife cared for him. Then the unthinkable happened. She was diagnosed with cancer. Suddenly, they both needed care. The elders informed them that under the circumstances it would be OK to inform their DF daughter and accept care from her if she was willing, obviously so as not to be a burden on the cong.

At the time I thought nothing of it as I was so brain dead. It is only the past few years that I have come to see the double standards in this case. Shun the disfellowshipped but unshun when they can be of some use. Not sure if unshun is a word, well it is now.

And another person on this site, under another topic asked would I go back if I was allowed to celebrate xmas, b/days, etc. No way known to humanity would I go back. I can see why they don't want us looking at the internet too much, honestly, the stuff I have learned from these forums and from the ever persistent, hard working, self-sacrificing Barbara as well as my own experiences is mind boggling to say the least. I suspected a lot of things, but now I know that what I suspected is true.

I live in Australia and do not know a lot about the GB. It is all a bit far away from us here. Reading comments, stories, experiences, etc., really opens up a whole new world of the Borg that I have not heard of before. Very interesting and not all that surprising. Crisis of Conscience turned up in the mail the otheer day and I am eager to get into it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit