The "invisible" Elephant in the room: ELDERLY JW's nobody provides for

by Terry 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon Morley
  • Terry
    Terry

I can't argue with that, Morley!

• JeffT
    JeffT

Years after we DA'd my wife's grandmother died almost alone in a nursing home. We lived on the other side of the state and visited her when we could. Her son, my wife's father and never a JW lived about a hundred miles away and saw her once a month or so. The JW aunt, who lived ten miles away saw her once in a while. As far as I know, no one from either of the congregations in the area ever visited her. After all, how could they, the time "didn't count."

That's the kind of treatment elderly JW's can expect.

• Terry
    Terry

Oh, members of the congregation MAY come to your funeral. They just won't visit you when you're dying.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember a KM, that spoke of caring for your parents. The question was raised about non beleiving parents, or parents that you had issues with growing up. The question asked is do u have a moral obligation to care for them otherwise. My friend and others said yes, parents are your parents. The elder went on about how that's not the case. I wish i remembered what article it was. I think it was around 2000

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

(Sheesh...put the text in and it got lost!)

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

What I was going to mention is that the topic came to mind on Friday when I was meeting a colleague in a neighboring city at Starbucks. In walk three JW couples – not one under the age of 75 in my opinion. In fact two of the couples I recalled from an assembly part as to how they took early retirement to pioneer and that was at least a decade ago.

The real problem is that the average age is increasing (especially in developed countries like the US, Canada and UK) and there is no community safety net that will look after them. Add to that the Boomers and the congregations have one hell of a social problem on their hands in the next decade. Many of these elderly JW’s were victims to false prophesy about the end times and now many simply do not have any savings tucked away to assist them. Many have (in Canada at least) will have a few hundred dollars with OAS, but because the had jobs like window washing, floor cleaning contracts at Walmart and the like their pension plan amounts are going to be very low.

Many unbelieving families will be taking them in and that will trigger a whole round of WT articles about “Living with unbelieving families in these times of distress” and bring emotional pressure to bear. Many of these elderly will simply give up. On the flip side the remaining young ones will be guilted into helping them with such stupid symposia as:

“Are you like Ruth”

· In taking care of your spiritual family

· In providing for the elderly amongst us

· In going out your way to pick up the elderly

In all this is going to be a bigger problem as promises are left unfulfilled.

• Quentin
    Quentin

"...They just won't visit you when you're dying.".......Terry

Damm Skippy they don't. I have been in hospital twice in the last two years. My good friend took time to visit. Kathy and I are members of a local Presbyterian Church, very seldom attend, but the Church Pastor came for visits and Church members prepared meals that were dropped off at home so Kathy and my daughter didn't have to cook. Even my daughters drunken husband took the kids to his parents house when it wasn't time for his visitation weekend.

As I said above the night my father died there wasn't a jw to be found. Old tired infirm jw's are cast aside. You get no more favors, or help from anyone who are jw. Funeral service the jw's rush the bereaved like a pack of wild dogs, lobbing love bombs right and left.

What a twisted life to live.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This thread reminds me of freedom fighter. Is she still around?

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Here is an example of one such elderly person.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/190523/1/A-JW-Corpse-Speaks

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit