The "invisible" Elephant in the room: ELDERLY JW's nobody provides for

by Terry 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

I see a great many people at the corner grocery each week with a fist full of LOTTO tickets chasing after the elusive Big Jackpot.

I often think to myself, their odds of winning are actually better than that of Jehovah's Witnesses hoping Armageddon will save them from

old age woes!

After all, there is usually at least a winner every month or so.

For JW's--well, they just break down like an old truck and end up in a junk yard neglected and forgotten.

The median age in our population at present is Baby Boomers in their 60's.

What if one of them stood up in the Kingdom Hall and innocently asked aloud:

"Why doesn't the Society ever write articles telling us how to plan for retirement and ill health instead of betting everything on Armageddon solving the problems sure to come?"

Do you imagine the other older people would nod and agree or would a Judicial Committee be formed to handle it? :)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The elders would dismiss it as "old people talking". The direct people back to the real issue and resolve, blah blah blah

• mind blown
    mind blown

Let's not forget about Olin Richmond Moyle (1887–1966)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_R._Moyle

Resignation

On July 21, 1939, Moyle wrote an open letter of resignation to Rutherford, protesting over conditions at "Bethel", the Watch Tower Society's Brooklyn headquarters, including what he described as ill treatment of workers, discrimination by Rutherford, the use and encouragement of "filthy and vulgar language" and a "glorification" of alcohol. [ 8 ] Moyle said that Rutherford had "many many homes, to wit, Bethel, Staten Island, California" and deplored "the difference between the accommodations furnished to you, and your personal attendants, compared with those furnished to some of your brethren". [ 9 ]

Moyle had been handling the famous Minersville School District v. Gobitis case, and had won at the trial court level as well as at the appellate level. However, after Moyle's removal from the case, the Minersville School District appealed the Gobitis case to the Supreme Court. Rutherford himself argued the case before the Supreme Court in 1940, and the Court ruled against the Jehovah's Witnesses by a vote of 8-1. This ruling triggered a nationwide wave of violence against Jehovah's Witnesses that lasted for the next several months [citation needed] .

Libel lawsuit

Although Moyle had advised his resignation would take effect on September 1, the Watch Tower board dismissed him immediately and he returned to his home congregation in Wisconsin. On October 15, 1939 the directors responded in the pages of The Watchtower, [ 10 ] stating that "every paragraph of that letter is false, filled with lies, and is a wicked slander and a libel". [ 11 ] The article compared his actions with those of Judas Iscariot.

For four years past the writer of that letter has been entrusted with the confidential matters of the Society. It now appears that the writer of that letter, without excuse, libels the family of God at Bethel, and identifies himself as one who speaks evil against the Lord's organization, and who is a murmurer and complainer, even as the scriptures have foretold. (Jude 4-16; 1Cor. 4:3; Rom 14:4) The members of the board of directors hereby resent the unjust criticism appearing in that letter, disapprove of the writer and his actions, and recommend the president of the Society immediately terminate the relationship of O. R. Moyle to the Society as legal counsel and as a member of the Bethel family. — Joseph F. Rutherford, The Watchtower, 1939-10-15

Moyle was disfellowshipped by his congregation, [ 4 ] which wrote a letter to The Watchtower stating that they had not read Moyle's letter, but disapproved of his actions and "never listen to accusations against Brother Rutherford". [ 4 ] [ 12 ] In 1940, Moyle sued the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York over the response in The Watchtower. Rutherford presented a public resolution at a 1941 convention against Moyle, with reference to the September 15, 1941 issue of The Watchtower. [ 13 ] Moyle won his suit, and the court awarded him $30,000 in damages, which was reduced to $15,000 on appeal in 1944. [ 14 ]

The initial jury verdict was affirmed twice on appeal; first by the five member Appellate Division, 2nd Department (3-2); and second, unanimously, by the seven members of the state's highest court, The Court of Appeals, in the capitol at Albany. [ 15 ]

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Yes Terry, this callous disregard for the elderly hit home to hubby and me and was one of the reasons we left the Borg. I intend to start a thread detailing the treatment my faithful, widowed, born in, 93yr old mother recieved when I wrote the WT$ on her behalf and asked them to repay her last $20,000.00 loan to them.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

I am "the disfellowshipped daughter" who took care of my elder father till he died in 2009 of a long dragged out heart disease.Now,I am taking care of my mom,who actually lives with me.My JW sister,couldnt care less.She appeared when it looked like my mom was going to die,because she wanted a few "momentos" from mom's house,which is actually MY second house.I told her to hit the road and pointed out that she was a cold heartless bitch.In those words.She didnt like that much,and tried to sic her grown sons on me.Luckily,I have a splendid lawyer,and in the country I live in,it is still not illegal to call someone "a swear"...I hate the witnesses for this and oh so much more.When my mom goes,Im done with all of it.I will not even talk about them anymore.I will try to pretend that the JW's do not exist.They are a scourge..Old witnesses?All I can say is,youd better hope that youhave a df'd kid that will save yer skin when you get sick,because your "faithful" one will be too busy going out from door to door,trying to convince total strangers,that they should join their cut to help you..And THAT...is the truth...

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG!!!! THE SOCIETY TALKS ABOUT PLANNING FOR THE FUTURE ALL THE TIME!

Almost every year there is an article with instructions on how to leave everything you own to the society when you die. See. Problem solved.

• biometrics
    biometrics

In Australia they'd get the pension (funded by all tax payers).

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

"aquagirl" Only people who have seen the wicked conduct of the "Corban" practicing JWs can relate.

I am going through, the same situation you are. It's more important to play "elder, elderette, pioneer,

than obey God's commands through Jesus Christ and Moses. Scarry dont you think, how they have no conscience, and are

willing to toss theirparents into the trash can? Meanwhile, the Borg memebers, treat the hypocrites like deities and role models for the youth to follow.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

aquagirl, it seems like your story is more of the new norm. I guess if someone who's in, can escape their moral obligations by dumping it on a "non-beliver", it's ok. The pious one goes on and lives their life and the heathen spends their life caring for their parent. I just don't understand the disconnect

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    In Australia they'd get the pension (funded by all tax payers).

Which is barely enough to live on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit