Why did you become one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Celestial 53 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Open mind
    Open mind

Bored in.

• therevealer
    therevealer

Cuz i was to stoopid to research. If I would have I would have found out the truth about the truth. In my defense it was not as easy to find the info 45 years ago as it is now.

c

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

1. Reagan/Thatcher were in power - I honestly thought the world was coming to an end and I did not want to die
    2. I did not believe in the stupid Trinity doctrine and what the JWs said made sense - no other religion came close on this issue
    3. Hell Fire made ZERO sense - what JWs said, seem to make sense.
    4. Because of this I swallowed the 1914 bullshit - totally
    5. Preaching the good news seemed to make sense.
    6. AIDS/Blood/Homosexuality and blood transfusions seemed to make sense
  • Azazel
    Azazel

I was born in 1970 a third generation JW. In all honesty i was so well ingrained into the doctrines of the WTS that i didnt even consider that i may actually have a choice. I functioned along preprogrammed directions and was a total "organizational christian" , spirituality had nearly nothing to do with me, i was a worshipper of an organization. I was too blind to see that i was actually blinded by a cult.

Az

• cantleave
    cantleave

Born and raised in....

Stayed in because my whole world was immersed in JWdom.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This is an excellent question. I was almost born in, but was raised in a "divided household" (worldly, evil dad).

Raised in a "bethel congregation" and thus experienced all of the bethel bullshit which should have turned me off if not at least tipped me off. . .

Was doing well in school, headed for college, until my family imploded in my junior year of HS. . .

What I liked about the "truth": nonviolent, anti war; promised a "perfect" society of the future; overall moral decency (or so I thought)

Motivating factors: Guilt, guilt, guilt. Fear, fear and more fear

It was the perfect storm. 1980's Cold-War/Armageddon fears. The hope of a perfect world. Shitty family life. And of course, some more guilt.

What surprises me about myself is, after seeing all the Bethel bullshit in real-time, 3-D, CinemaScope, and always being an inherently critical thinker--- I still took the leap of faith. . .

only to find myself flat on my ass 20 something years later.

• factfinder
    factfinder

They answered my questions regarding Adam and Eve and the Messiah. The answers came from the bible.

I love books and magazines and they had many of them.

I was extremly impressed with their vast printing operation.

The cong was very friendly to me and the hope of living forever in paradise forever with my family and friends and of being healed was very appealing.

• maksym
    maksym

Former cradle Watchtower adherent here. I suppose the short answer was peer pressure to be baptized and go along with all the family.

I was naieve and had not studied other religions or questioned the watchtower theology. Most of the stuff seemed logical and I suppose a great deal of fear was buliding in which I needed to continue or die as worm meat and be forgotten.

I think the bigger question you should ask is to those who have moved on to another church. This is considered the worst sin for a Jehovah's Witness.

I am happy to say today I am no longer under mind control.

I am happy to say today I am with Christ as my mediator and Savour.

I am happy to say today I have found the truth.

I am happy to say today eternal life awaits me.

I am happy to say I have made many new friends in my new church.

In Christ,

Maksym

• d
    d

I was raised into it. We started going in 1994-1995 around that time.

• xchange
    xchange

Sperm = JW

Ovum = JW

Born a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit