Social networks a huge no from the service meetings!

by life is to short 57 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK so I sort of tie in and listen to the meetings. The elders blocked my number lasy fall but then they let me back in??? Not a clue what that was about.

So anywho these last two service parts have been on Social networks. Social networks are bad, bad, bad. I only half listened but this Tuesday I swear that the elder who had the part said "you could go out in service all day, get pioneer hours in maybe even sign up to pioneer, be appointed as a MS, etc and yet if when you came home you went to a social network it could all be wiped away. You could loose Jehovah spirit.

Both of the elders who had these parts are in their mid 50's and very stick in the mud types. The first elder said "Did you know when you put (gasp) you name and address on Face Book any one in the world now knows where you live? OMG I wanted to scream did you know if you own a phone and your name is listed in the phone book any one in the world now knows where you live, maybe all JW's should get rid of their phones.

These people are crazy, nuts and insane. It is like they are still back in the 1950's and uneducated and very proud of it.

I truly think the GB is running scared of Face Book and the like, they are totally backed into a corner with modern technology and they just do not know what to do.

LITS

• cantleave
    cantleave

How the hell do you manage to listen at all? You are either brave or insane!!

• Gayle
    Gayle

Their literature and comments at meetings and assemblies have such a spirit of fear and desperation.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I truly think the GB is running scared of Face Book and the like, they are totally backed into a corner with modern technology and they just do not know what to do.

Further, many mainstream, diehard JDubs are in a quandary over the "overlapping generations" and other things they see taking place within the bOrg but they CANNOT speak of it to anyone within the Cong (or perhaps only a select few close friends). Yet they can sign on the Internet and be "anonymous" and even find numerous ACTIVE JDubs on sites like this one who share their doubts and concerns.

They not only learn that there are others "just like them" who have the same doubts and concerns, which adds legitimacy to it all first of all, but beyond that now they read of ALL THE OTHER issues that were never before issues to them. Their own little Pandora's Box has been thrust open.

Then of all things, a site like this become an important place for association to them. At the KHall they must keep their mouth zipped. THey cannot even express innocent doubts or questions without being "marked", ostracized, and perhaps hauled into the Back Room with risk of excommunication, but they can have open dialogue here with dozens or scores of others just like them. They can openly express themselves. They can read the comments and concerns of others openly. Freedom is addictive. Governments are overthrown for Freedom. And at the same moment, they are exposed to other quandries that would have never come up into their mind.

The Society's attempt to suppress the Freedom of Expression backfired. Had they allowed free discussion, it would likely have remained to the ONE issue. By sending them out into the Darkness of the Internet, they opened a whole new can of worms. But of course, they could not allow free discussion, lest everyone realize that the New Lite is pretty damn DIM. (Over lapping wha?)

DOC

• cedars
    cedars

And rightly so. A fair percentage of our visits to jwsurvey.org are coming from facebook. Hats off to cantleave and others who have very kindly publicized the survey on various groups. I've said it before - the Internet truly is the Watch Tower's nemesis.

Cedars

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "Did you know when you put (gasp) you name and address on Face Book any one in the world now knows where you live?

OK my name is on FB. I have a Punk Ofnice account.

I have not been asked to put my address anywhere. What a dolt this geezer is! I'm mid 50's but jinkies!! These blokes are thickies!

So tell brother bum-face: 'NO. I did not know when I put my name and address on Face Book any one in the world now knows where you live because they didn't bladdy ask me!!'

..............and I can give my name and address to whomsoever I chose without some poe faced sod at the kingdumb hell spouting out ill informed propaganda!

Ooooooooh, they make me maaaaaad!

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

They have to keep having these parts on the meeting because NO ONE is listening to them ! In my area lots of JW's have facebook accounts including several Elders . People are getting stubborn I think ,and choosing to disobey 'Mother' when they see nothing wrong wiith their actions .

• 00DAD
    00DAD

More mixed messages from above!

Apparently the guys giving these SM parts didn't read the latest Awake! on Social Networking:

Which features this intriguing montage:

I'm not making this up! I couldn't if I tried!!!

There is an interesting review of this issue of the Awake on this blog:

5 Hilarious Images of Social Media From Free Jehovah's Witness Magazine

And for those that haven't seen it, there is a JWN discussion on this thread:

Awake openly mocked on website...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

As a Highly Qualified Janitor and JW Elder..

Let me tell you about..

The Evils of the Internet..

........................ ...OUTLAW

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You can bet this recent event underscoring the evils of Social Networks will be in an upcoming WT or Awake! near you:

Facebook "defriending" led to double murder, police say

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit