Social networks a huge no from the service meetings!

by life is to short 57 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

tornapart: As for those of us who know it's all lies and all control but stay in.. believe me it's not for want of coming out or out of hypocrisy. We just don't want to lose all our family.

Ah yes, Spiritual Paradise! Isn't it wonderful?

Come pretend to believe in things you don't and pretend to be someone your not just so you can talk to your family and so they will talk to you!

I'm not thinkin' this is what Jesus had in mind!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Of course there are real dangers for people particularly young naive teenagers to start conversations with people on the net who

they have no background knowledge of. This has been talked about many times in the media and is a worthy valid warning to be sure,

particular concerning sexual predators.

• sir82
    sir82
    I was able to connect with old neighbors, schoolmates and people from the religion who are "out" and I was able to find out the real reasons they are out.

Thought this was worth highlighting.

This is the one of the principal reasons why condemnation of "social networking" is now brought out only slighty less often than messages to "obey us or Jehovah will kill you".

Via Facebook, curious JWs who would never dare to venture into an "apostate" website can communicate with DF'ed people (including of course their own relatives) with out anyone knowing, thus leading to exposure to "apostate ideas".

And of course once those ideas are implanted, it's generally only a matter of time until a JW leaves.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

"Did you know when you put (gasp) you name and address on Face Book any one in the world now knows where you live?

LOL!!! And did you know that no matter where you live in the world, some JW somewhere knows it. And not only that, they keep a list of times you were home or not, made notes on whether you have children, your religion, your health, your family's health, any recent deaths, divorces or financial difficulties, your interests and concerns. And then they discuss this information with a group of strangers in a car, and sometimes give your information to someone else, so that someone else can catch you at home.

Much creepier than Facebook, where you are in control of your personal info!

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

The elderberry that gave the part last week emphasized being careful, however he just vilified the Internet in general. The jest of his part was "Internet bad and watch out for Internet little brother social media". The dingleberry this week was a totally different story; I don't know if he knows what social media is. His main point was there's lots of bad stuff you COULD see and lots of things you MIGHT regret posting. (Gotta love those weasel words)

If we were such good little witlesses, we would use our bobble headed consciences and not look at or post anything we didn't want to. But wait, that would be thinking for ourselves, damn we can't do that. The GB can't let us make up our own minds, that would relinquish control, instead they say it's all bad and you're evil for looking; there now they can sleep tonight.

They will never admit social media has its place. I don't have the time for personal accounts, but I most certainly have one's for business. Commerce is turning more electronic with every passing year (another thing they won’t admit), you can either be left in the dust or saddle up your pony; personally I'd rather ride the stallion than shovel the crap the stalls.

• Hiding Questioner
    Hiding Questioner

"They have to keep having these parts on the meeting because NO ONE is listening to them !"

....I've said this before and I'll say it again, I cherish the day when one of my elders said to me at the Hall that the Org says we should not visit any social sites and should only visit the "official" WT sanction site. That same evening I went home wondering what it was that I was supposed to not see and the rest is history. Thank you elder!

HQ

• ballistic
    ballistic

I know this sounds ridiculous but before the age of mobile phones, PCs and digital recorders, but just when video games were coming in we had a CO who said you should count how many things round your house have an electric plug on to see how spiritual you are. I guess he would have a fit today.

• new one
    new one

Well judging by this facebook group not many are listening at the hall.

• finally awake
    finally awake

What worries me about Facebook is that it seems to want to track everything you do all over the internet, and then publish that information, or sell it, or store it for later. I would like to have a facebook account, but I don't necessarily want to share with the whole world that I'm shopping for fat lady underpants, or booking a cruise, or reading the Daily Mail, or whatever. I really don't want to have to work at keeping my privacy, so for now I don't have a Facebook account.

• new one
    new one

You've all more than likely seen this on their fb group, but my jaw hit the flaw when I saw it, and the comments are even worse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit