Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• WatchtowerFree
  • BlindersOff1
  • gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

one for sure. Former bethelite, elder who told me he was bi-sexual. He DAd himself many years ago but his health was failing and he was being shunned by his son and his daughter in law and was not allowed to see his grandchildren. My best friend who had been his first love in the 60's found hanging in his garage soon to be 4 years ago. My heart still clutches when I think of him. He was one of GB rape victims while at Bethel which I have known about for 50 years. And I wonder why I am so ANGRY

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I didn't make it sound quite right. My best friend and I were worried because he hadn't been heard from and at that time his body was hanging in his garage

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Gma-Tired2>>>>>How awful, for all concerned. (((((((Hugs)))))))

Just Lois

• Mum
    Mum

I know of some specific cases of suicide.

1. The first happened shortly after I left the JW's. A young mother of two in my former congregation committed suicide. I think her young JW husband loved her, and I don't believe she was being abused. She might have had post-partum depression after having two babies in quick succession. She tried to get help from "worldly" sources, but was forbidden and/or ostracized for it. I don't know many details.

2. The secons happened a couple of years ago in the town where I was born. A young woman, probably at least 3rd-generation, daughter of an elder, committed suicide after having a troubled and rebellious adolescence and young adulthood. I believe her parents did their best, but her dad could be severe and unfair. A relative of mine who lived in their town told me they had observed the young girl doing things forbidden by the Watchtower Company, and tried to warn the parents that the girl likely was headed for trouble. The parents apparently appeared not to believe what they were being told.

This young woman's brother had been disfellowshipped at some point, and my relative told me the parents cried loudly and profusely as the announcement was being made. I also know that, at one point, the mother of these troubled children left the father for a time because of his cruelty to her. Her leaving apparently woke him up because they got back together and stayed together. I don't know how he treated the children. I'm not trying to blame anyone, as I know it had to be beyond heartbreaking for these parents to lose their daughter in such a tragic way. I think there are 'way too many parents who do not realize how much their children are hurt and emotionally scarred because of their well-meaning modes of "discipline."

Regards,

SandraC

• Mum
    Mum

I just remembered a third case:

Several years ago, I attended a meeting for ex-JW's in Oregon. I met a beautiful young woman and her mother whose brother/son had committed suicide after the elders found out he was having an affair with a sister in the congregation. The elders dealt with the woman first. Then one of the elders walked over to the young man and said something like, "The elders will deal with you tomorrow." The young man went home and drank poison (insecticide or herbicide, I'm not sure which). It's sad that it took this unthinkable tragedy to wake up his family.

Regards,

SandraC

• BlindersOff1
  • BlindersOff1
  • BlindersOff1

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit