Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• BlindersOff1
  • Scott77
    Scott77

I think, this thread is very important and merits further discussion.

Scott77

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Suicides are the hidden statistic . Many family members will actively hide the fact that a relative took that way out.

The media will also go along with info suppression concerning this . Congos will also hide it

I learned of one suicide last yr while out in service with a relative of the person. I was in the congo

with the one who died and did not know it was a suicide .

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

One older sister, sweet as can be. She had an unbelieving mate. She was distraught because her son-in-law divorced her daughter and got custody of the grandchild. Shot herself in the head. Not one Witness (other than me) called, or contacted her family in any way.

Elder, killed himself because none of his children accepted the religion. He was very strict and dictatorial, the kids took of as soon as they turned 18.

Older elder, real evil jerk. His adult children got awarded custody of their mother due to his extreme mental and physical abuse.

Young boy, 16, threw himself in front of a train.

My own daughter attempted twice. Fortunately I was almost out by then, never told the elders, and wouldn't have let them near her anyway. She is fine now, not a JW. Cant really blame the religion totally , but I think it was a factor.

I think, in general this religion pushes people toward suicide because of the Black and white thinking, if you are not "whole souled" you are nothing. Also the fear of dealing with mental health professionals, due to the possibility of "bringing reproach on Jehovah". Plus the sheer ignorance of most of the elders when it comes to mental health. The disfellowshiping is no doubt a huge factor. If you have depression issues anyway, it doesn't help that you are shunned by your friends and family.

• Scott77
    Scott77

I learned of one suicide last yr while out in service with a relative of the person. I was in the congo with the one who died and did not know it was a suicide .

BlindersOff1

I think, your experience regarding your friend'd death is a tip of the iceberg

Scott77

• atrapado
    atrapado

First Teenage girl(14-15) depress got in trouble wasn't baptized.

2nd 19 year old girl depress wasn't living upto JWs standards.

Both hospitalized on time. Both free from the WT.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Elder, killed himself because none of his children accepted the religion. He was very strict and dictatorial, the kids took of as soon as they turned 18.
    LisaRose

LisaRose, Iam very shocked. An elder of a Watchtower Religion of Jehovah's Witnesses killinghimself for that reason tht his children are not in the religion. Iam sorry for him. Blame the Mother Watchtower for this. It stresses that elders should be in good standing to continue as elders. Imagine the pressure this man faced.

Scott77

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Scott,

Yes, I feel sorry for him, even if he was a bit of a tough father. I think it was a combination of his own perfectionism and the requirements of a heartless organization. No matter how you may try, you cannot force anyone into a religion, but the expectation of the Watchtower is that you could, especially for elders. The JWs have the worst retention rate of any religion, but as a JW, you don't know the odds are against it. The result is broken hearts, broken families and in some cases, suicide. This is the legacy of the WTBTS

• Scott77
    Scott77

I think, in general this [Watchtower cult] religion pushes people toward suicide because of the Black and white thinking, if you are not "whole souled" you are nothing. Also the fear of dealing with mental health professionals, due to the possibility of "bringing reproach on Jehovah". Plus the sheer ignorance of most of the elders when it comes to mental health. The disfellowshiping is no doubt a huge factor. If you have depression issues anyway, it doesn't help that you are shunned by your friends and family.
    LisaRose

LisaRose,

Those are legitimate reasons you mentioned. The intense distrust the Watchtower religion of Jehovah's Witnesses has toward Certified Mental Health professionals is baffling. How comes bringing reproach on 'Jehovah's name' when you are merely seeking help? Does not Jehovah help those who help themselves?

Scott77

• Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I know of at least 5. One was my best friend as a child, and the other was the mother of one of my closest friends now. He called me when he looked through the window and saw her body inside. I came and helped open the door. She cut her wrists. She also left a rambling note about the "truth".

Very sad. They broke down this way

3 teenage males

1 early 30's male (fighting against homosexuality - great guy a real loss)

1 mid 40's female with 3 children

I know of another serious attempt by a sister who came very very close to dying after refusing a transfusion. Two years later she took 70 Xanex.

Sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit