Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

These are all so tragic.

I worked for 20 years with victims of violence - mostly when they were children. A few had tried to committ suicide before they came to work with me. But in 20 years working with a high risk population like victims of childhod abuse not one made an attempt. And I worked with them specifically regarding the abuse. Over the 20 years I saw probably 500 men and women either in individuual counseling or in group work. These people were considered high risk and most had seriously considered it. Only 1 tried while I was working with her and I was able to get her help before she hurt herself.

I was in the JWs for 22 years. I saw more suicides and attempts connected with the JWs than I saw in my practice. Wow I never saw it that way before.

6 JWs (myself included) vs 1 incest survivor

It pains me to know that so many of you have had such negative experiences and especially those of you who were personally involved. My heart goes out to all of you. Thanks for sharing

• life is to short
    life is to short

I know of two clear suicide's. One was an uncle of an elder through marriage and was in my hall, he had suffered depression for years and I doubt got any true help. He shot himself on one of the most busiest streets where I live about about two in the afternoon. They would not hold his memorial in the hall as it was a suicide but the nephew did give the talk. That was about ten years ago.

The other clear suicide was a son of an elder. I think it was about three years ago. It was right when I was waking up to this not being the truth. A sister in my hall to encourage me invited me to the Special talk that we have every spring at the hall of this family. After the talk we went to dinner at the parents home. It was one of the most sadist things to see. The dad started to cry and the mom was still really broke up. Looking back I am sure that they blamed themselves. Probably the son wanted to leave the religion and just did not know how to from what was said that day. It was beyond sad.

I know there are more if I sat down and thought about it more. Many are so depressed it is unreal.

Scully I am sorry for what you went through. I myself have been very close to suicide all because of this religion. In fact this sight has been a life saver for me, I was really on the verge, and then mouthy and flipper got in contact with me, I really feel they helped save my life.

LITS

• arwen
    arwen

I know of two. One an older lady and another whose husband was a jerk. It didnt take him too long after her OD to find and marry a much younger woman. Both of these suicides were covered up and never spoken of again..

• Londo111
    Londo111

In my area:

I heard about one brother who took his life after his son was disfellowshipped.

With another, I remember I was having soup with two older women, and they mentioned one brother whose suicide was reported in the newspaper. The one sister said, "He must have had sugar in his tea." The other said, "That is the most SELFISH action anyone can take!"

More often than not, I don't think it was often an approved topic for conversation. There is a certain code of silence. These poor people are forgotten. Nobody wants to think about them.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I can relate being low due to being disfellowshipped. It is worse than divorce or any heartbreakā€¦and there is never any respite. Family can become callous, hardhearted, and belligerent.

I have found the body is hardwired for self preservation, especially in regard to heights, and it's very hard to circumvent. Hanging and other methods seem quite painful. And the worst case scenario is surviving an attempt, and having a lifelong disability. Fear of pain, heights, suffocation, failing has so far kept me alive.

Sometimes I feel I have a purpose. If I die, then I might fail to complete what I am here to do. Some days the only thing I can do is read and study more intensely. After feeling dangerously low last Thursday evening, Friday I poured myself into printing off and organizing my notes and research materials on 607. Saturday, I bought a new translation of the Bible from Books-A-Million and for a time that lifted my spirits.

• sir82
    sir82

Ones I personally know of: 1 DF'ed, one active (adult daughter of a prminent elder).

I've heard of several more.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee
    6 JWs (myself included) vs 1 incest survivor.

This is what happens when amatures dare to dabble in what should be handled by highly trained professionals.

Sorry Lady Lee that you were among the scores of victims who could have been spared this experience had they been treated adequately.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Lando, Seek help for your depression. Especially if you get any more thoughts of suicide. Anti depressants, exercise, friends, hobbies all are helpful.

((((((((Lando))))))))

• zeb
    zeb

• jambon1
    jambon1

2 because of sexuality/d/f issues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit