Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Scully Thanks for sharing that. Wish I could give you a big hug right now.

JW GoneBad

Can we include those who have died as a result of not accepting a blood transfusion. If thats' not suicide what is? Wait! To JWs that might fall under the category of martyrdom or self-sacrifice.

I almost included that but although death is the end result the martyrdom factor woulkd negate the need to hide how or why the person died

The really sad thing here is that the WTS/JWs find a way to remove these cases from the mind of active JWs. The person was weak or DFed or DAed or was going to be DFed, had done some terrible thing or like Scully was too self centered to get themselves out in service ot to meetings There is always an excuse that is used to exclude them from active membership.

These are exactly the kind of invisible victims few people know about.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I know of six, but they have all happened since I drifted out and nobody wants to talk about it.

Another has tried at least twice.

If you count born in, never baptised, one of New Zealand's highest profile murderors killed himself using the jailhouse wall.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I know of numerous suicides of JWs over the years. Two that come to mind: (1) A JW in our hall who hung himself. (2) A murder suicide a few years back in a local congregation. Recently, an attempted suicide by a close friend in our hall. This one was truly brought on by dumbass Elder neglect!

Just another day in Paradise!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I can think of 3.

• Violia
    Violia

Scully, LL, and all,

shamus is right. They aren't human, they are drones.

I see the problem as a social one. If you happened to be their friends and in their social group, they may extend help to you and also hide your sins , if any. If you do not happen to be one of them they will expose you for the slightest infraction. often they will DF you to protect one of their own group. thye will also make excuses for your depression etc. If you aren't one of them then your depression is seen as withdrawl of J ah spirt.

I had to get past theirs was the true religion before I realized I was just in a pyramid type scheme operation and if you got on the outs with folks it was hard to get back. It really is who you know .

Knowing it was not the truth is what helped me . I was suicidal most of the time I was in and i still shake when I drive by the KH. They are drones of the highest sort, Nazis probably had more blood flowing through their veins.

apology to Mr. Goodwin for invoking Nazis.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I know of 2 but I don't know the reasons.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

just one but they family questioned it,, saying he was clumbsy.. and really like to warm up his car... with the doors closed.. he was the son of everyones favorite elder.. I knew him as a child, then he wasa a local writer for the paper it wasa big news.. here in Boise ID..

Along with the sister who was Murdered By the Russian dance instructor.. I knew her real well.... She was a very sweat lady...

• cofty
    cofty

1 male aged early 20s. Dfd and separated from his wife. He moved away from his home town and tried and failed to build a new life.

Stuck in a dead end job without support of family and friends it was obviously too much for him. He hanged himself.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow I just remembered another one. Sister who gave my wedding shower. Was terrified of water - so badly that it took them 3 hours to get her baptized. Every one else had been baptized and were gone and they were still tryign to talk her into the waist deep water.

She went swimming in the ocean and everyone said it was an accident. yea right.

She had been hospitalized several times for serious depression and was considered weak.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I know, personally, of three suicides in NZ. I've posted elsewhere about them; Ben- only son of single sister hanged himself aged about 15. Dion- Elders son gassed himself in his car at cemetery. Sis. _ - Elders mother overdosed on alcohol and sleeping pills. The Elder told me, privately, that the ambulance officers suggested suicide. The wider BOE didn't know and the funeral was conducted at the KH.

All three were baptised or in good standing.

Two or three have joined me in psych groups that were JW's. All had Elders as fathers, coincidentally. They all spoke of suicidal feelings, except for one who had had a gutsful of her endometriosis. (Actually, her Dad is a good guy)

Reasons for my (failed!) suicide attempts revolved around a sense of worthlessness and hopelessness because of never doing enough to keep the jealous God happy. I have never been disfellowshipped.

BTW, after ten years in and out of mental hospitals, I only had one brother try to make contact with me. Good on him, but, only one!?

Good luck for your talk Lady Lee.

Pete

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit