Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Talesin

I was going to say the exact same thing.

When I look at the list of people on this board - not just the ones who have posted here but those I know who have posted on other threads - it amazes me how strong we all are. There is such an amazing power in all of us and we have all found ways to survive the madness and move on and even help other.

If you are still struggling with thought of suicide please seek help. Open your phone book to the crisis numbers and call someone. See your doctor. And keep talking.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

... and for everyone that has committed suicide, how many have tried in a moment of desperation and a painful cry for help?

• sizemik
    sizemik

Young Damien was first, then quietly spoken Craig, Phil (dearest Phil), Grant, Tracy, and young Sam (the kindest and most talented kid I've met).

There were a couple of others whose names I've forgotten . . . but not their faces.

• jws
    jws

Only one I know of. I was a bit young, but she was kinda related through marriage. My brother-in-law's brother's wife. I was really sad about it. I still remember her face perfectly. She was beautiful. She left behind two great kids too. Probably around 1973.

According to my sister (who was her sister-in-law), she was being treated for mental issues when her husband's family decided to move 1500 miles away to Florida. A bit of a close-knit clan my sister married into, with a very dominant father. So he dragged the family to a small town in Florida where I don't think she kept up her treatments.

Now only in the past couple of years, I heard another rumor. Her husband, let's call him Tim (no real names here), wasn't exactly a manly macho looking guy, a bit the opposite. And neither was a good friend of his from back where we all grew up. Let's call him Randy. Randy, as a teenager used to live with Tim's family for a while. Randy I knew better since he stayed around where we live and I grew up and saw more of him. Randy always dressed special, a little more "fashionable" than the rest of the congregation. He married, but his wife always looked unhappy and frustrated. A friend of mine said once "it looks like she's never gotten any". Others might call her a "beard".

Not that being effeminate or fashionable means somebody is gay. But let's face it. Those traits aren't uncommon among gay men. And not to judge if they were.

So, rumor was Randy and Tim were having a gay affair. And I know nothing for sure as neither has come out and both are still JWs. Anyway, rumor is Randy and Tim were on the phone together when Tim's wife picked up the phone, listened in, discovered the relationship, couldn't take it, and killed herself.

I believe my sister about the mental issues. Now whether mental issues + betrayal had anything to do with it, I don't know. I hope not, for her sake. That whatever she was feeling, betrayal wasn't mixed in. That somebody else's actions didn't push her over the edge.

She was a JW at the time.

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

I knew two. One was a pioneer who had a part on the CA the Saturday before he hanged himself from a bridge in north-central Indiana.

Another I grew up with who OD'd intentionally about a year ago. Funerals both by elders.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

A JW? Knew one that threatened but never did... I did know of a "worldly" person that shot his wife in the basement and made the kids watch..he served some years in jail and then got out, got custody of his kids and remarried..amazing legal system we have..
    They lived next door to a witness..

Snoozy

• flipper
    flipper

BTTT, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• life is to short
    life is to short

I cannot believe I forgot this suicide. It happened in the summer of 2010. I was at Bethel from 1990 till 1994 and I made really good friends with one of the sisters there. We have remained friends since leaving Bethel. She is on the east coast and I am on the west coast. We both left Bethel in 1994. I realized it was not the truth in 2008. She is still a reg pioneer. Being we are so far apart she has not a clue I do not believe anymore. We have little contact now because of me, I just do not know what to say to her anymore as she is still pioneering and believing the lie.

Well here it was the summer of 2010 and I was at Lake Tahoe visiting Flipper and his wife for the first time along with On the Way Out and my friend from Bethel calls while I was with flipper and Mrs Flipper and OTWO. I was totally taken back. She was very upset, as her niece had just committed suicide. I was so heart broken myself. I had met the girl who was then just four years old while we were at Bethel and had watched her grow up when I would visit my friend. The girls dad was an elder.

It came out when she in her mid teens that someone in the hall had molested her. From what I can gather it was a family member who is still in good standing. The girl was told to get over it from what I can gather as the family is very closed lipped about it. The molester said he was sorry after all my girlfriend has told me, what more can he do about what he did.

OMG!!! Anyway the girl overdosed in the summer of 2010 she was just 23 or 24 years old. My heart breaks writing this. She was a beautiful girl and it is all just so very sad.

LITS

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

That is so sad LITS

I doubt I could go in to any other group that I know and have so many people know someone who committed suicide or even tried. Right now I live in an apartment building for seniors. Most oif the people here went through WW2 in Europe. Some were in concentration camps. From this group of survivors you would think they would know many who took their own lives. But I don't think there is one person here that went through that or who had parents who went through it that could pull out a similar list of people they knew who tried

The damage that men do

• Violia
    Violia

lady Lee, I posted this thread and hoped it could be added to the links section. I know this is not a site just for the mentally ill but we do get so many who are very depressed and in need of help, ie, recent suicide thread posted . I list is OK to repost and has international numbers and urls , not just numbers for USA.

link to thread

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/forum/suggestions/221538/1/If-you-are-suicidal-and-need-help-numbers-to-call-and-websites

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit