Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

1 attempted suicide several times. Had been DFed; history of childhood abuse (was raised JW). Had to spend some time locked up in a Psych Unit.

1 successful suicide - somebody with a history of severe depression trying to get reinstated. I heard that the humiliating way the elders in her congo treated her when she showed up at meetings was a contributory factor in pushing her over the edge.

1 a long, long time ago - son of a well-known JW family. Can't remember details.

There may be one or two more, but I cannot bring any specifics to mind at the moment.

• kashkrunched
  • Roski
    Roski

One at Australian Bethel. One sister after a convention (talk) that hammered not having children in this time of the end.

One brother with a young family who suffered from depression.

• Borges
    Borges

Two. A young brother, who once bought my first car, a very old orangecoloured beetle. Everybody said, he was kind of depressed, but nobody asked further questions.

The other one not just shot himself, but also his wife an her best friend. He was df, but his wife and her friend still JW.

My mother tried to kill herself when she was 16 years old, while her dad and her stepmother visited a big assembley in N.Y. in the 50's, leaving her alone for almost three weeks (they lived in Germany). She opend up all gasvalves. My Uncle found her bevor she choked or the whole building blew up. Nevertheless, she blamed it all her life on her stepmother and not on the religion, in wich she raised up and prevented her from beeing a self-esteemed person. Some years ago she mentioned, that she is not expacting to survive armageddon. This after more than 60 years of serving as a faithfull jw, raising four children an supporting her husband, who is serving as an elder since the day, they met in the late 50's. Thats kind of suicide too.

• Adiva
    Adiva

I tried 3 times. My dad told my psychiatrist (over the phone) that my problem was a spiritual one. In a sense he was right, my spirit was dying.

Years later I was with a group of exjw's and the subject came up. The question came up, who has tried? Everybody raised their hand.

It's nice to know none of us succeeded because, we are awesome folks.

Adiva

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

1- One year ago. A married JW imale 35 yrs old, from my ex-cong. We used to stay often together when I was in.

1- Many years ago at Olympic Stadium in Rome , during District Convention. He jumped from the terraces, and no, the DC program was not suspended at all.

• talesin
    talesin

It's a repeat story, but ...

1975 - I was pioneering in Moncton, New Brunswick. One of the other pioneers, Mark, was a guy that back then, we didn't know much about being gay,,, was teased about his mannerisms (bit of a flamer I can say now, without prejudice) ...

He had a room, and lived alone. His mom was JW, and father had abandoned them when he was an infant. All he had was his mom, and the JW.

Anyhooo,,, we all didn't know it, but he was gay and a tranny .... he hung himself in his room, and was only discovered when someone smelled it. Couldn't stand the pain of knowing he would be shunned and condemned by his own mother, and everyone he knew. There was a note to that effect.

• dinah
    dinah

I don't know of anyone personally who committed suicide. I've known a couple of people who did and it was not JW related.

There have been far too many stories related on this board of people losing brothers, sisters, uncles, mothers, fathers, friends to suicide because they couldn't deal with the JW lifestyle but didn't know how to get away and make real friends.

Several of the friends I've made here have considered it at times, but thankfully, we were all too strong to go down that road.

The first time I wanted to die, I think I was 12 years old, the first time I really didn't want to die I was around 39. Twelve is a hard age for anyone, but add a JW mother who was hell bent and determined that I not lose my life at Armageddon--and a non-believing father that I was SURE to lose at Armageddon............mentally, I just threw my hands up.

• talesin
    talesin

I want to say to everyone on this thread,, who has felt suicidal ... I've been there, too,,, all my life until I got some therapy. It was more about the sexual abuse and other stuff than the JWS,, but ....

You are normal! You are okay! You are not 'just' a survivor,, you are a THRIVER!

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

... and I love you,,, every one,,, even the Republicans! just kidding,, lol!

xo

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit