Is there one Bible Prophecy.....

by Phizzy 80 Replies latest watchtower bible

• emanresu
    emanresu

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but the reformation of Israel as a nation in 1948 was prophecied.

here's an article i found:

"

Israel became a nation on May 15, 1948. This was a divine date set by God well over 2,500 years ago and is recorded in the Bible.

Before the Israelites entered the Promised Land, Moses declared to Israel the blessings of obedience and the curses for disobedience (Deuteronomy 28). The Israelites entered their land around 1400 B.C. under the leadership of Joshua (Joshua 1-24).
    The prophet Ezekiel records the period determined by God as punishment for Israel’s disobedience.

Ezekiel 4:5-6
    “For I have laid upon thee the years of their iniquity, according to the number of the days, three hundred and ninety days: so shalt thou bear the iniquity of the house of Israel. And when thou hast accomplished them, lie again on thy right side, and thou shalt bear the iniquity of the house of Judah forty days: I have appointed thee each day for a year.”
    · Punishment = 390 years + 40 years = 430 years
    Because of their disobedience to God's commands, the Israelites (Jews) were taken captive in 605 B.C. by the Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar (2 Chronicles 36:5-21).
    Later, King Cyrus of Persia conquered Babylon. In 536 B.C. Cyrus allowed the Jews to leave Babylon and return to their homeland.
    · Punishment completed = 70 years (605 B.C – 536 B.C.)
    · Punishment remaining = 430 year – 70 years = 360 years
    Even though King Cyrus gave all Jews permission to return home, only a small number actually accepted the offer. The Jews had become comfortable in pagan Babylon and chose to stay in exile. Because of their disobedience to God, the 360 years of punishment remaining were multiplied by 7. The reason for this is explain in the book of Leviticus (Leviticus 26:18, 26:21, 26:24 and 26:28). In Leviticus, it says that if the people did not repent while being punished, the punishment would be multiplied by 7. Clearly, by staying in pagan Babylon, most exiles were refusing to repent.
    · New Punishment = 360 years x 7 = 2,520 years
    The 2,520 years are actually Jewish lunar years. The lunar years must be converted as follows:
    · 2,520 years x 360-day lunar calendar = 907,200 days
    · 907,200 days divided by 365 days = 2,485.479 years
    Exactly 2,485.479 years from 536 B.C. is the prophetic date of May 15, 1948. On this date, Israel became a nation just as promised in the Bible (Isaiah 66:8). The return of the Jews to Israel is the key to Bible prophecy. Israel is the timepiece by which we can watch and know that Jesus is coming soon."

from this sitehttp://waitingforjesus.com/1948prophecyfulfilled.html

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Let me try again. The dating of the Gospels are indeed disputed. No help there. Here's an interesting quote from Josephus. The fact that the tribe of Christians did not go extinct, tells you they survived the destruction of Jerusalem. I would venture to say that they had advance warning.

3. (63) Now, there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works—a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; (64) and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day . [1]

Eusebius reported that some Christians fled to Pella. But as a Church Historian his testimony would not be accepted by all, seeing that he had a vested interest in the matter.

Pliny mentions it as being famous for its spring (Nat. Hist. v. xvi , 70). It seems to have been destroyed by the Jews in ad 66, in revenge for the murder of the Jews of Caesarea, but Eusebius (Eccl. Hist. iii. v , 3) relates that the Christians of Jerusalem fled to Pella when Vespasian prepared his attack. In the later Roman and Byzantine periods it was one of the centers of the Christian community and its bishops in the 5th and 6th centuries ad are known. [2]

If one can establish that Jesus' prophecy concerning Jerusalem is authentic, then one should examine the prophecy of Daniel carefully, because he referred to Daniel the prophet by name. That is one of the reasons why I take Daniel's prophecy seriously.

[1] Josephus, F., & Whiston, W. (1996). The works of Josephus : Complete and unabridged, p. 379. Peabody: Hendrickson.

[2] Negev, A. (1990). The Archaeological encyclopedia of the Holy Land (3rd ed.). New York: Prentice Hall Press.

• watson
    watson

Seems like fullfilment of prophecy should be easier to see. I need to be more spiritual I guess.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

If my memory serves Vidqun, that Christ reference in Josephus has been proved to be spurious.Even if genuine, it would only prove the existence of the "myth" of Jesus, nothing to do with prophecy. (by "myth" I mean story, not necessarily that it is not historical in some measure)

All these later writers are repeating the "Myth" , Eusebius and others, again we are looking here for Bible prediction fulfilled, the historicity of Jesus, or not, is for another thread.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

You could venture to say that. In fact, they probably DID have advance warning. Armies on foot are slow and words gets around pretty quickly.

• cofty
    cofty

Christ was prophecied... but you'd have to believe in Him to believe that it was Him who was prophecized about. - Tec

Congratulations on your perfectly circular argument.

• glenster
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Interesting article Glenster, nothing there that is plain and easy to see or prove is there ?

Strange, if the Bible were the word of God you would think it would contain a prophecy that does not need convoluted exegesis to make it seem to work.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Sorry, emanrasu, that's numberology laid on top of an interpretation, not prophecy.

• tec
    tec

Congratulations on your perfectly circular argument.

Not really.

The messiah was prophecized about. Then He came.

And this is one case where we know that the writing of that prophecy came first, before the prophecy was fullfilled.

The problem with many of the other prophecies is that we cannot prove which came first (the prophecy or the fulfillment), because it was all thousands of years ago. So it is contested.

Now if something happened in our day, then that would be more substantial to those who need to see something like that before even considering any of this authentic.

Peace,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit