The Two Forces

by N.drew 259 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods
    We can surely learn from mythology, don't you know?

We can learn mythology - and how to make up more mythology.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so. God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Account number one

• james_woods
    james_woods

and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;

Maybe the tree of knowledge of good and evil did not yield seed in its fruit...see, I can make up mythology too.

Many orthodox Jews believe in a demon-wife before Eve named Lilith.

(yes, she was later Frazier's wife on Cheers)

• Dagney
    Dagney

I wondered why there were two accounts of man's creation.

I found this very helpful in understanding the above question. http://www.amazon.com/Wrote-Bible-Richard-Elliott-Friedman/dp/0060630353

• N.drew
    N.drew

w?·‘ê? ha·?ay·yîm tree life

b?·?o·w? hag·gan, midst garden

w?·‘ê? had·da·‘a? tree knowledge

The interpreter has added the word "and".

• james_woods
    james_woods

OK, I am still curious: If it were the same tree - were they supposed to eat from it or NOT eat from it?

• N.drew
    N.drew

Do you really believe that if the trees could send man in the opposite direction, one death pain tribulation and hatred the other love and life would the god tell the writer to write the same word for each?

Practice a little logic people. I mean please.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Its all fiction, it means whatever the reader wants it to mean. Theology is a non-subject.

Reminds me of Solomon's whining:

Ecclesiastes 3 - 18 I also said to myself, “As for humans, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Surely the fate of human beings is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; humans have no advantage over animals. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?”

^ Solomon was looking in the wrong place for happiness and therefore found no lasting peace.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew

In time some or all would be invited to eat from the tree of life. Like Tammy says it is something that IS. It was not something as an after thought to test people. It is something to share with the divine nature. Eve was warned not to eat YET. Now it will not be known if she would have been invited to eat. She died. She has passed on the restriction in our DNA. Surely you can see the problem of knowing everything.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Eve was warned not to eat YET. Now it will not be known if she would have been invited to eat. She died. She has passed on the restriction in our DNA.

I don't think it's logical to assume that Eve is a single person with a single set of chromosomes. The law of evolution uses many chromosomes from many generations for an evolutionary trait to be "passed on." Therefore I think it is safe to assume that "Eve" is represenative of a mindset that may span across many sub species of homo sapiens. I am of the opinion that the fossil record cannot be ignored, not saying that you are.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit