Early Civilizations and Bible Chronology

by xelder 109 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Etude
    Etude

Miles3: "Etude, thing is you're talking about the fossilisation process, and 14 C dating isn't used in those cases." I would have agreed with you if I hadn't found out that wood (possibly other organic matter) can petrify rather quickly. One source I found in Wiki-answers says it can happen in a matter of days, given the right cocktail of minerals. Another says that it can happen in less than 10 years (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_petrification_to_occur). I have to say that I didn't pursue to find the basis for that conclusion. However, I can't find any refutation either. So, I don't really know why 14 C would necessarily be excluded from testing fossilized material.

"most fossils are remineralised with silica" -- What I've found is that there are several things that influence petrifaction: Silification, Pyritization (iron and sulfur) and Replacement ( calcite, silica, pyrite, and hematite). And since 14 C can also make up water in addition to the "soup" that would contaminate a specimen, it's not unreasonable to question the process (petrifaction) as one that might influence and contaminate the readings.

"For making the difference between a specimen that has been perminaralised and one that hasn't, try burning fossilised wood." The process of 14 C extraction involves high-temperature pyrolysis-combustion. Yes, you can "burn" some "rocks". The whole point of it is to extract carbon in the form of CO 2 and then take a reading of nuclear decay.

"... it doesn't work like that. Athmosphere is global" Absolutely not! Veerabhadran Ramanathan, (UCSD and Harvard), one of the world's leading climatologists, pointed to an interesting situation regarding the distribution of contaminants in the air. He (and some colleagues) noticed the difference between the seemingly "unpolluted" Maldives Islands (because they don't have sufficient sources of pollution) noticing that only the southern tip of one of their islands is actually pollution "free". Apparently, The Maldives sit in swath of polluted air currents coming from India. But the "unpolluted" tip that has "clean air" is enjoying a current from Antarctica. Bottom line is that there are distinct currents and divisions in the atmosphere which can isolate the presence of contaminats. That has been a long standing suspicion. The measurements by Ramanathan between the part ofThe Maldives that is polluted and the part that isn't revealed a difference in the amount of sunlight that actually reached the ground.

Bottom line is this:

• I absolutely believe in the testing method and procedure and in the science behind 14 C testing.
    • I don't doubt that the venues and results from 14 C testing are accurate.
    • I do believe that different materials require different ways of testing.
    • I do believe that many results (perhaps a majority) of 14 C testing definitely reflect accurate dates in the 10ths of thousands of years.

Clear enough? But I also think that the accuracy in age of some (not all) of the items tested can be skewed by the very reasons I'm arguing. But that's not the fault of the science and more a problem associated with the specimen. I've tried to reply to some of the assumptions I feel people have made about testing. The very controversy between scientists about the issue (the testing of the Shroud of Turin being one example and the questions about dendrochronology being another) is for me enough cause to not swallow the testing of everything hook, line and sinker.

In the process, it's easy to lose the fact that while I believe in the testing, I have some doubts about some conclusions for the reasons I've stated. I also believe that there probably is a preponderance of items tested that result in accurate dating. But what I simply tried to establish is that 14 C testing can provide incorrect age conclusion as well (in spite of having a lot of success) and that the reasons that happens may be beyond our control due to our lack of some knowledge about the original environment of the object we're testing, even if that only happens once in a while. In the discussion, I was merely offering reasons why that's possible.

Lastly, I never meant to insinuate that Earth's previous warming was due to a "water canopy". I merely mention that such is one possibility, heavy concentrations of CO 2 being another, the flipping of the magnetic field being yet another. I don't think you want me to find "remnants" of a water canopy, 'cause that would be just plain crazy. I base my guess on the strata revelations that show so many parts of the earth were once (not all at once) under water and on ice-core records, which show multiple occurrences of heavier CO 2 deposits. I really want to stick a fork in this one. I'm done.

• ninja_matty69
    ninja_matty69

MP

Accept your point but it is a mute one. The dead sea scrolls demonstrate that whilst word for word the early hebrew books today are not identical to what was written way back when, the message is the same. It is like reading a match report of the same sports event from two different reporters. Essentially they will both agree on the same result and main points. They may differ in wording.

I have studied ancient history and can only say that the bible is very well corroborated by secular history and vice versa. Did you know for example that the remains of the tower of babel was found some 200 years ago. Did you know a fragment exists dated milleniums old which corroborates the splitting of the languages back at Babel? Did you know that in the area of the cities sodom and gomorah there are vast salt planes with the said salt deposits some 150ft deep. Did you know herodotus recounts how sennacheribs army of hundreds of thousands of men was wiped out in one night by apparently unknown forces? Have you read herodotus account of the egytians which would seem to tie in with the history around the time of joseph? The facts written about joseph in the bible almost fit perfectly with the egyptian record albeit from an alternate perspective. The historical accuracy to the minute detail is staggering when you compare it.

The possibility that there are a few missing scriptures and word variation from the original documents is not sufficient to undermine the credability of the bible or my faith. If you had read what i had you would feel the same - maybe.

• ninja_matty69
  • mP
    mP

NinjaMatty -> MP:

Essentially they will both agree on the same result and main points. They may differ in wording.

mP -> NinjaMatty:

You might want to check Mark 16 without the LONG form which have the resurrection. All scholars event NWT note that these resurrection versus are additions and do not appear in the original. If we remove them becaus ethey are later additions and thus frauds we have a gospel where Jesus is never resurrected which is quite a simple story. This is hardly a small change.

Ninja -> MP:

I have studied ancient history and can only say that the bible is very well corroborated by secular history and vice versa. Did you know for example that the remains of the tower of babel was found some 200 years ago. Did you know a fragment exists dated milleniums old which corroborates the splitting of the languages back at Babel

mP->Ninja

Im sorry read the chapter before the Nimrod story and you willl see different peoples speaking different languages. Finding a fragment written in one language is hardly proof for the entire world speaking a single language.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/ge/chapter_010.htm

Genesis 10:1-32

1 And this is the history of Noah’s sons, Shem, Ham and Ja´pheth.

Now sons began to be born to them after the deluge. 2 The sons of Ja´pheth were Go´mer and Ma´gog and Ma´da·i and Ja´van and Tu´bal and Me´shech and Ti´ras.

3 And the sons of Go´mer were Ash´ke·naz and Ri´phath and To·gar´mah.

4 And the sons of Ja´van were E·li´shah and Tar´shish, Kit´tim and Do´da·nim.

5 From these the population of the isles of the nations was spread about in their lands, each according to its tongue, according to their families, by their nations.

6 And the sons of Ham were Cush and Miz´ra·im and Put and Ca´naan.

7 And the sons of Cush were Se´ba and Hav´i·lah and Sab´tah and Ra´a·mah and Sab´te·ca.

And the sons of Ra´a·mah were She´ba and De´dan.

8 And Cush became father to Nim´rod

Somehow the Bible doesnt agree with you. It clearly says that sons mentioned in v4 spoke different languages before Nimrod was born in v8.

20 These were the sons of Ham according to their families, according to their tongues, in their lands, by their nations

v 20 also says the same.

• mP
    mP

Ninja -> MP:

Did you know that in the area of the cities sodom and gomorah there are vast salt planes with the said salt deposits some 150ft deep.

mP -> Ninja

So what, there are salt planes in many parts of the earth. Did they actually find any cities 150 feet below the salt ? Just because theres a lot of salt in some place does not make any story true. Perhaps S&G were actually in the Andes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni

Salar de Uyuni (or Salar de Tunupa ) is the world's largest salt flat at 10,582 square kilometers (4,086 sq mi). It is located in the Potosí and Oruro departments in southwest Bolivia , near the crest of the Andes , and is elevated 3,656 meters (11,995 ft) above mean sea level. [1] The Salar was formed as a result of transformations between several prehistoric lakes. It is covered by a few meters of salt crust, which has an extraordinary flatness with the average altitude variations within one meter over the entire area of the Salar. The crust serves as a source of salt and covers a pool of brine , which is exceptionally rich in lithium . It contains 50 to 70% of the world's lithium reserve

• mP
    mP

NinjaMatt -> MP:

Did you know herodotus recounts how sennacheribs army of hundreds of thousands of men was wiped out in one night by apparently unknown forces?

mP:

Thats utter garbage, no army until recently had 200,000 in the field. There are but a few countries today in our modern world that have that many simply because supplying food and water for them is a very complicated manner.

IN fact if you check your history books you will see even the mighty Roman Empire at best only 200,000 soldiers stationed everywehre in its entire army. At no stage did they group 200k and move them somwehere.

http://www.watchtower.org/e/bible/2ch/chapter_014.htm

9 Later Ze´rah the E·thi·o´pi·an went out against them with a military force of a million men and three hundred chariots, and came as far as Ma·re´shah. 10

Do you honestly believe the Ethiopian army back then 3000 years ago had 1M soldiers. If they did they should have conquered the entire known world and created an empire that rivalled Rome or Alexander. Are we to believe that Israel was so rich that the Ehtiopians skipped Egypt and walked straight to Israel. How did the Ethiopians manage to feed 1M men in the desert while travelling from Egypt to Ehtiopia and then thru the Negev ?

Napoleon who controlled over half of Europe couldnt manage 1M soldiers when he went to Russia. How in the world could small Ehtipia which was a humble in numbers 3000 years ago could havemanaged to have that many.

Im sorry but those figures like many others are utter bullshit. If you wnat more examples of outrageous numbers feel free to ask.

• mP
    mP

Ninja -> MP:

Have you read herodotus account of the egytians which would seem to tie in with the history around the time of joseph? The facts written about joseph in the bible almost fit perfectly with the egyptian record albeit from an alternate perspective. The historical accuracy to the minute detail is staggering when you compare it.

mP->Ninja

Im sorry please quote and show examples, because Herodotus does not say 3M jews walked out of Egypt. perhaps he mentions a few jews lived there but thats hardly evidence for the exodus we see in Cecil B DeMile films.

• mP
    mP

Ninja -> MP:

The possibility that there are a few missing scriptures and word variation from the original documents is not sufficient to undermine the credability of the bible or my faith. If you had read what i had you would feel the same - maybe

mP -> Ninja

Im sorry the Bible hass too many mistakes, lies, and downright evil while claiming to be inspired and moral. Im just an average person but i know that slavery and raping women is wrong and yet the Bible says in many places that god allows, condones and orders these evils. Basic common sense will tell you that the rich greedy authors wrote that stuff simply for their advantage. Their nonsense against women is of course again compatible with the thoughts and customs in that part of the world at that time. No god or inspiration there. Pure fraud.

Anyone can write a fictional story with some historical elements that does not make the creative fiction portion true or even fact. The mulsims have a book called the Quran it has a lot of history amongst its other sayings and what not. The other filler material where Muhammad flies to Jerusalem and thena scends to heaven is of course bull dust. Do you believe the Quran entirely because it has some historical truths in it ?

• ninja_matty69
    ninja_matty69

i cannot see page 6 of this thread even though i have posted on page 6!???

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit