ADVICE TO BAND ON THE RUN

by wasblind 168 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I said I felt she had friends/groupies who do not add content or opinion but simply deride. Beside deride, they sing hymns of worship.

B/c of my profession, I read history books a lot. The leading scholar on Atlantic slavery is a very white, wasp, Yale professor. His main point is that slavery traditonally was never racial. There is no human alive whose ancestors were both slaves and slave owners. Slavery was ubiquitous. The evil of the Atlantic slave trade was that humanist reforms and the Enlightenment made slavery suspect. It was perceived to be wrong to hold humans as property. The plantaation system could not function without slave labor. Rather than adapt the system, Africans conspired with European slave dealers to capture other Africans and sell them. Europeans were never allowed to set foot on Africa.

The evil was the myth of Ham(?) that Africans were cursed by God and man must mete out the punishment. Literature developed that they were not fully human but more akin to wild animals. This was the key difference between the Atlantic slave trade and slavery in Jesus' time.

As Obama reference his white family, they never had a slave. Abolitionists in England had difficulty getting citizens enthused. People viewed slavery as evil but most white English people were working in the first factories under conditions worse than slavery. Toddlers were employed. Go visit a coal mining town and compare it to the historic Upper East District in Manhattan. White people are not a monolith.

I made an observation of my feelings/perceptions. It was not racist. In truth, I believe there is a large class difference which perplexes me b/c when Shelby is not on religious issues concerning the exclusive truth of her whatever, Shelby reveals that she is educated and has extraordinary insight. It is Jekyll/HYde. Also, I will be the first to acknowledge that my behavior has not been blameless.

Now, besides the sin of reading books, I am declared a Klans member. The same Klan that spooked me for having black people in her family home when no one did.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Wouldn't a PM have been more appropriate?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Goodmornin' Sammielee24,

Happy New Year :)

True words you do speak, I hope Band take the time to read your post

No group is exempt from prejudice

Prodical son,

I understand where your comin' from, Band percieve to be threatened by some in her post

so I thought it would be best to keep everything out in the open,

I wish she would show those threat to the mods, call these posters out and get it handled

after all, Band went to Law school, didn't they teach her the burden of proof is on her

when she make an accusation

Band please get your facts straight, I said you would be better off joinin' the klan

that's different from actually accusin' you of bein' a klan member

your intelligence is showin'

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

i used to moderate a large gaming community. we had a large list of unacceptable words to censor (even a reference to a welsh dictionary of vulgar words)

one user was continuing to use the n-word in a derogatory fashion so i would censor it out. the funniest part was he got so mad about it. he claimed to be black and as such had the right to use the word however he saw fit. i calmly informed him that the terms of service he agreed to upon joining the site enforced a language restriction on all members, not just certain races.

to this day i remember his reply vividly " you f'ing racist cracker!!!" the oxymoron of using a racial slur in calling someone else racist tickled my funnybone immensely. incidently swearing in a pm to a mod was enforced by a 24 hr ban. when you visit the site all you could see was a link to contest the banning. this went to employees of the company that hosted the forums.

the unban request he sent to them threatened to track down their wife and kids and rape them. he was permanently banned and officials contacted. some people have anger issues.

humorous story aside, claiming someone used racially charged words, then telling them they'd be better off joining the klan is an equally enjoyable oxymoron.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

You are right Paralip. That was the basic point I was trying to make but in a different way " claiming someone used racially charged words, then telling them they'd be better off joining the klan is an equally enjoyable oxymoron" sammies

• wasblind
    wasblind

That's true Para and Sammie

and I truly apologize to band for bringin' that up to her

I am also without blame, we all need to be mindful of what we post

that does not neglect the fact band needs to show proof in her accusations

of bein' threaten by a racially charged " posse"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

From the Urban Dictionary

.posse2676 up, 595 down
    November 3, 2007 Urban Word of the Day your crew, your hommies, a group of friends, people who may or may not have your back me an' my posse gonna hang tonite buy posse mugs & shirts by jambe foukuinox Mar 6, 2003 share thisadd a video
    2.posse389 up, 94 down
    Your crew, gang, set, team or group of friends. "Hey fool, you ain't nothing without your posse. ....................... Happy Gangsta New Year! http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/24/arts/icp3.jpg.......................;-)...OUTLAW
  • botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Geez some people have nothing better to do on New Year's Eve?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

bah. finally caught up on the source of this thread.

i had been avoiding the 'aguest language' thread like the plague.

for botr, i'm not sure of your history of online forums, if i had to guess, i would hazard that you have limited experience with non-professional discussion forums.

while being ganged up on is pretty commonplace if you speak your mind, the charge of being racially motivated i don't think is legitimate. judging from your posts, you are very logical and analytical. in looking for reason for the constant friction you may have found a common bond (race, gender...) and drew a conclusion.

i do have a theory, but i'd like to know if i'm on track with my assumptions so far.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Is that why your here Burns ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit