Whistleblower — Watchtower’s Dump

by Marvin Shilmer 100 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Can somebody in the "know" help Achille with his question? He needs to know if there are documents proving that the nature of the clean-up costs charged to the Society were punitive rather than a simple regular service charge.

He needs this information for his article on the subject, which is in Italian.

Cedars

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I am certainly not in the know about such things, but the receipt gives some information that doesn not seem to suggest a normal tax that is routinely paid.

It says,

For: Case #3-19990826-43 WTF Shale Mine

- and -

Division: Legal Affairs

Are taxes usually paid by Case Number to the Legal Affairs division? Or does this suggest a legal violation?

Acronymfinder.com gives one meaning of WTF as "Wastewater Treatment Facility." Atlantis notes (on page 2 of this thread) that the fine was for "polluting a pond." These two pieces of information would seem to suggest that wastewater was mismanaged by Watchtower, resulting in pollution.

If someone is familiar with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, perhaps they could look into Case #3-19990826-43 for more meaningful information.

(In case anyone is wondering what Watchtower is doing with a Shale Mine, when I toured Watchtower Farms more than 30 years ago I remember seeing the open pit shale mine. As I recall, the shale was crushed and spread over dirt roads to pave them.)

• rebel8
    rebel8

achille,

The wts is exempt from property taxes. I can't imagine what the Italian jws are talking about. There is no tax for churches here.

You may be able to find the law here. I checked for a while but ran out of time. I've read it before so I'm sure it there. May be under RPT section.

You can see they have been guilty of violations here.

Hope that helps.

• Achille
    Achille

I found a blog in German language where there is the letter sent to the DEC to WTS, which speaks clearly of a fine of $ 50,000 for a polluted lake .

Das DEC schreibt an die Wachturm-Gesellschaft:

Zitat (auszugweise) Anfang.
    Im Fall der vorgebrachten Verletzung der Artikel 23 und 27 des Environmental Conservation Law : Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York, Inc. Aktenzeichen 3-19990826-43
    5. Bei einer Ortsbesichtigung am 31. Juli 1999 stellte das DEC fest, dass
    (a) die Beklagte einen ausgewiesenen Bewässerungsteich mit Bau- und Abriss-Schutt - darunter Holzabschnitte, Isoliermaterial, Betonreste und Gärtnerabfall - gefüllt hat, und (b) die Beklagte die erforderliche Qualität im Bereich des Bewässerungsteichs, wie in Nr. 3 der Sonderbedingungen ihrer Nutzungserlaubnis zur Urbarmachung von Schürfgelände Nr. 3063-32-0227 (DEC-Genehmigung 3-5152-00029/1-0) vorgeschrieben, nicht hergestellt hat, und (c) die Beklagte Erdaushebungen tiefer als die zulässigen 250 Fuß vorgenommen hat.
    6. Am 23. August 1999 kehrten die DEC-Mitarbeiter zu dem Gelände zurück und beobachteten, dass nach der Inspektion vom 31. Juli 1999 weiterer Schieferton entfernt und zusätzlicher Bau- und Abriss-Schutt in dem Bewässerungsteich abgelagert worden war. Am 19. April, 31. Mai, 23. August, 30. Oktober, 31. Oktober, 1. November und 10. November 2000, und am 2. Februar und 22. Februar 2001 inspizierte das DEC das Gelände erneut und fand die Umstände unverändert wie am 23. August 1999 beobachtet vor. ...
    Nun, nachdem der Fall betrachtet und ordnungsgemäß beraten worden ist, wird hiermit angeordnet:

1. Zivilstrafe: In Anbetracht der oben beschriebenen Zuwiderhandlung wird gegen die Beklagte ein Bußgeld in Höhe von fünfzigtausend Dollar festgesetzt, wovon dreißigtausend Dollar von der Beklagten an das Department als Vollzug der rechtsgültigen Ausfertigung dieser Verfügung zu zahlen sind. Die verbleibenden zwanzigtausend Dollar Bußgeld werden hiermit unter der Bedingung ausgesetzt, dass die Beklagte im Einklang mit jeder Aussage, Vorschrift und Bedingung dieses Anordnung bleibt. " Zitat Ende.

Link: http://www.die-finanzen-der-wachturmgesellschaft.blogspot.com/

Automatic translation:

The DEC wrote to the Watchtower Society: Quote (in part) the beginning. In the case of the alleged violation of Articles 23 and 27 of the Environmental Conservation Law: Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of New York, Inc. document number 3-19990826-43 5th At a site visit on 31 July 1999, the DEC that (A) the defendant is a proven irrigation pond construction and demolition debris - including timber sections, insulation, concrete debris and gardeners waste - filled has, and (b) the defendant the required quality in the irrigation pond, as in No. 3 of the special conditions of their has permission to use the reclamation of mining land No. 3063-32-0227 (DEC approval 3-5152-00029/1-0) is prescribed, not made, and (c) the defendant Erdaushebungen lower than the allowed 250 feet, has carried out. 6th On 23 August 1999 returned to the DEC staff to the site and observed that after the inspection by the 31st Another shale removed in July 1999 and additional construction and demolition debris had been deposited in the irrigation pond. On 19 April, 31 May, 23 August, 30 October, 31 October, 1 November and 10 November 2000, and on 2 February and 22 February 2001, the DEC inspected the site again and found the same situation as on 23 August 1999 before observed. ... Well, after the case has been properly considered and discussed, is hereby ordered: First Civil Penalty: In light of the above offense the defendant is hereby imposed a fine of fifty thousand dollars, of which thirty thousand U.S. dollars to be paid by the defendant to the Department as the enforcement of legally valid copy of this Order. The remaining twenty thousand U.S. dollars fines are hereby suspended on the condition that the defendant remains in compliance with each statement, provision and condition of this arrangement. "End of quote. It follows the mapping of the fine-checks the Watchtower Society to the DEC.

Achille

• Mary
    Mary

Wow! Excellent read Marvin! Thanks for posting that.

For those who insist that the person who wrote that letter 'reveal themselves' before they'll accept it as truth, I don't think it needs to be pointed out that many ex-Witnesses try to remain anyonomous or at the very least, keep a low profile, if they still have family members in the Organization. It states as much at the end of the letter.

Did this hit the NY Times or any other newspaper?

• Achille
    Achille

Achille wrote:

Can you give me some other informations on this point?

I searched in the web and I could find lots of information and documentations on this topic.

I included everything here: http://www.infotdgeova.it/varie/cava.php

Achille

• cedars
    cedars

Achille, well done on researching this and piecing together your article using available information.

I don't speak Italian, but it looks very thorough! Great work.

Cedars

• designs
    designs

The photos show beautiful farm lands, amazing what our money bought and we never had any ownership rights.

• Achille
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Quotes from Achilles' article, for posterity. It's pretty damning IMO, not supportive of wts simply making a mistake and reporting themselves. They violated the law and continuously failed to correct it.

The article says it's quoting from a document obtained via the Freedom of Information Law, a federal law in the US entitling citizens to copies of many government documents.

From a site inspection on 21 July 1999, the DEC found that (a) The defendant [the WTS] has a large pond filled with debris from irrigation construction or demolition...

(B) The defendant has not restored the normal situation (quality) in the area of ??the pond, as # 3 of the special permit for land reclamation...

(C) The defendant has dug the ground deeper than 250 feet in depth permits.

6. August 23, 1999 The makers of the DEC are returned on the spot and found that after inspection of July 31, 1999 had been removed more clay and other remains of buildings or demolitions were discharged into the lake for irrigation. On 19 April, 31 May, 23 August, 30 October 31 October, 1 November and 10 November 2000 and February 2001, 2:22 DEC has inspected the place and found the situation no change compared to what was found August 23, 1999. ...

NOW, after the case was taken under observation and analyzed according to the law, is therefore ORDERED:

1. Civil fines. Before the fact of the above-mentioned situation is issued a fine against the defendant for $ 50 000, $ 30 000 of these are to be donated to the Department to cover expenses resulting from proceeding against infringement. The remaining $ 20 000 fine will be suspended only with the commitment that the defendant in tune with what is suggested, to fulfill all the requirements of this order....

Of curiosity, Achilles, is the next bit which quotes a document from "Ministry for Environmental Protection of the State of New York". No government entity in the State of New York is called a ministry, nor has it ever been, to my knowledge. Also "the makers of the DEC are returned on the spot" is odd wording. Are these exact quotes from the original English documents?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit