Did you make stuff up without realizing it when you were in the 'truth'(TM)?

by punkofnice 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    I just had to 'resurrect' this. I have read things recently that just prove that some JWs do indeed invent explanations...whether they believe tham or not I don't know?!!?
  • pronomono
    pronomono
    Haha. Good read. This reminds me of me when I gave talks. I was a major procrastinator, so I had to make up almost all of my talks. I'd usually find one article that loosely fit my talk (if it wasn't already provided), take a few quotes, and make up the rest with something that sounded good. And the brothers and sisters loved it. I felt bad at first because I knew I wasn't giving Jehovah my best, but then rationalized, "Well, everyone loves it and says they were upbuilt, so it must be okay." Sometimes I'd feel a hint of guilt knowing I didn't have any scriptural basis for what I said, but I made sure it always sounded like something a JW would say. That right there should have woke me up sooner than I did. The only talks I actually prepared for were my public talks on Sundays. I was already nervous enough going out of town to see people I didn't know. I was sure as hell going to know what I was going to say.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Prono - I felt bad at first because I knew I wasn't giving Jehovah my best

That's okay, old invisible sky man didn't give his best for us, despite the fairytales to the contrary.

I loved giving public talks because I could put my own spin on them despite the hatred they oozed from WBT$.

• clarity
    clarity

Nice one Punky ... actually I am surprised I didn't comment on it before haha... When I first started to "study" with jws, and was being pressured to go d2d, I didn't know what I was supposed to say to people. Well, said the one lady, just make something up!!!!! Now that should have stopped me right there!

When I doubted something in the watchtower, they talked about that it just has the ring of truth tho, doesn't it ! Omg so many dumb things, and of course we picked-up those things and used them to fill in all our weak explanations to people.

Nice to talk to you Punky.

clarity

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Clarity - Omg so many dumb things, and of course we picked-up those things and used them to fill in all our weak explanations to people.

That's why JWs run when called out.

I remember one bro said that he thought that Jar Hoover would give us all a computer in 'paradise(tm)' so that we could make 'a DNA', as he put it. Suffice to say, he later became an elder. Gawd 'elp us!!

Nice to chat Clarity.

• Clambake
    Clambake

I have a friend who father is an elder and literally spends all his free time trying to crack the biblical code. He literally has a room in his basement with bible scriptures on the wall with strings connecting stuff together. It is like a scene from the movie a beautiful mind with Russel Crowe. I think even Robert King would walk in there and say “ Man, you are nuts “.

I sometimes wonder if the WTS has a secret policy as long as it is different than what traditional Christianity teaches, go head. Make shit up.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Clam - I sometimes wonder if the WTS has a secret policy as long as it is different than what traditional Christianity teaches, go head. Make shit up.

I am convinced this was Rutherford's legacy. He was the fool that invented terms like 'kingdom hall' just to be different.

I am sure you're spot on. As for the bloke with the string and bits of Bible...........................sigh!

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I have a friend who father is an elder and literally spends all his free time trying to crack the biblical code. He literally has a room in his basement with bible scriptures on the wall with strings connecting stuff together. It is like a scene from the movie a beautiful mind with Russel Crowe

LOL. There are a lot of crazies in this religion for sure. When you can stand back and see them from a distance it's actually quite funny. This religion alone is a very good source of comedy. Like SCTV for Canadians or Saturday night live church lady chats for the Americans.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    tseek - This religion alone is a very good source of comedy.

There is some really funny stuff because they don't see it as funny. Whilst they're all in ernest about their lairy stuff, they'll be hialrious.

Sadly, there is more sad stuff than funny.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

My mother is anointed and for years she would have some wild speculations. Some were pretty crazy, while others made pretty good sense. She would make us swear not to share with anyone lest we stumble someone or go too far ahead of "Jehovah's Chariot" or simply, not look crazy.

One that stands out was that she firmly believed that we would eventually master interstellar travel in the new system (i.e. that this would be "New Scroll" information). She knew that the billions of resurrected people (~100 billion if you start at ~50,000 BCE) would not fit the Earth and there was a large universe out there. I totally agreed with that at the time. She also speculated that perfect humans would be revealed technologies not yet imagined.

I am convinced that wild speculation is one of the coping mechanisms for people who stay in...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit