What history have you seen in the makeing???

by karter 120 Replies latest jw friends

• kaik
    kaik

My mom was born in the 1930's so she lived through WWII, air raids, her school being bombed out, public executions of partysans, Red Army, Red Terror, Soviet occupation in 1968. My father watched as school boy to see his hometown to be bombed, they were at that time evacuated to the mountains in 1944-1945, and when the bombers came, entire city center was burned. The explosions were heard couple miles away. Human remains from front coming through on the streets and backyard. I remember we had photo collection as my grandfather was taking pictures. I also saw pictures of people being executed, and hanged outside city hall in 1945.

My grandparents were born at the turn of the century, and my grandmother lived almost through entire 20th century. My grandpa fought in WWI. People in that generation had so much events, tragedies, and sad stories to say.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    I can't even imagine what you have through Kaik in your part of the world. I think as former JWs we've all been through hell!
  • poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

9/11 tops everything - every emotion from that day is burned in my brain.

The Red Sox winning the WS in 2004 was arguably the most joyfully unadulterated time of sports awesomeness I've experienced or ever will experience.

Princess Diana's funeral in 1997.

Michael Jackson's first moonwalk in 1983.

The Berlin Wall coming down in 1989.

Star Wars in 1977 - I was really young but I still remember not being able to pull my jaw up from the floor. (very excited for TFA!)

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    911 was big for sure. I remember exactly where I was when that happened. Our prodigious broadcaster of the CBC didn't even broadcast the event on the airways.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Oh, I saw quite a bit and this will date me!

I remember the Kennedy assassination. The principal in the Catholic grammar school came over the loudspeaker and told us children. I saw the rebellion and changes of the sixties. I remember when people dressed and acted decently, instead of the classless trash that I see alI over the place now! I wish the pendulum would swing the other way.

I remember the moon landing, the Vietnam War and all the non-stop things in the world after that up until the "Iron Curtain" coming down. I also saw 9/11 and the changed more dangerous world!

But....I am also seeing (on this forum) the changes in the hypocritical Jehovah's Witness religion!

The best thing I ever did was to walk away from that nonsense fifteen years ago! It was only to be a temporary sojourn, thankfully!

• James Brown
    James Brown

I saw the challenger rocket explode. I was standing in the parking lot at work watching the space shuttle go up and I saw it explode in the sky. That is the main historical event that I saw in person, live before my eyes not on television. As far as on television or in the paper, I have seen everything that happened since 1952 or there about.

I was born in 52. I probably started remembering things in 1957.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I was in earshot of the Bangkok bombing in August 2015.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

My husband walked in President Obama's inauguration parade.

I lived through hurricane Sandy dropping a tree on our roof.

I watched the towers fall on 911 and the Pentagon hit on tv. I remember a lot of fear because I had a 5 month old baby in my arms and we are so close to DC.

My cousin was struck by lightening...

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2
    I didn't know it at the time because I was just a child. But I saw and met The Beatles many times before they became famous in my grandfather's house where they would come to play. My grandfather had a drum kit in his living room and many groups would come to his little house to hang out. My grandfather was the manager of another group in my hometown (can't say his name would give too much away). I wish I been more aware at the time of what was happening but I was too young. Exciting times.
  • karter
    karter

Satellite navigation..In the early 70's a relative of mine was a ships navigator went all over the world navigating by a compass,sextant,and charts .

Karter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit