Acceptable and unacceptable dress for visiting Bethel

by smiddy 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Seeing these guys amble down the street in field service, and your LAST thought will be about how "financially successful" they are. ..."

Exactly, Sir82....

But again, that shows how clueless the Gov.Bod is....

Whether the Gov.Bod thinks that "Jesus" specially approves of polyester - as another poster stated earlier on this thread - or they think that people still dress this way to go to church - which they really haven't been doing since the 1950's - 1980's - or, we're back to the "looking prosperous" idea...

Whichever - the JWs are looking more and more out-of-place... And therefore garnering less interest...

Which is a GOOD thing!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Ziddina:

That was me. I am still of the opinion that they want people to dress businesslike because worldly people would be positively turned-off and run in the other direction if they knew the religion was against college education and success. So, when smiling well-dressed people come to the door it reflects well on whoever sent them. I guess it is only practical when you think about it. Appearances are everything.

IF a sister went out in service with her poor little torn sweater and shabby clothing this would scare some householder. I know it would scare me. This all occurred to me many years ago when I was out in service with a fairly well-off brother who looked the part and he gave a good impression at the door.

• ziddina
    ziddina

THERE you are!

Yeah, thanks for that comment - really set me to thinking - and of course, brought up a very bad taste in my mouth when I realized the level of the Watchtower Corporation's life-destroying hypocrisy - again...

• dozy
    dozy

I actually think that the WTBTS shot themselves in the foot , big time , with this leaflet. I've never met any JW younger than 25 (and many older) who regards it as anything but ridiculous.

The first time I saw it was when a sister with friends in NY Bethel brought it to a meeting & passed it around. There was much laughter , especially from younger ones & a couple of the elders wondered whether it was some kind of elaborate spoof ( such as the "Reasoning with the Sisters" leaflet published by Bethelites a few years ago ). References to "sneakers" & "pants for sisters" don't really work in Britain!

Eventually it was released in the UK & pinned up on the KH noticeboard (where , for all I know , it still remains to this day.) A 19 year old daughter of one of the elders who (shock) attended college & had stopped going to the meetings was home on holiday & had been bribed / shoehorned by her father to go to the Sunday meeting. She saw the brochure for the first time & just shook her head in disbelief , commenting on the "fuddy duddy" dress of the daughter of the sister on the front of the brochure. Apparently she spoke about it for much of the journey home , about how "out of touch" the society were etc. She has never been back.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

If you look at the Announcements of the October 2011 Kingdom Ministry you will find a list of requirements including reviewing this brochure before visiting Bethel...

By the way can we expect a "refreshed" version of this brochure - is "new light" on fashion going to take us out of the 50's?

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

Ugh... the guy on the front page. That's the sort of expression you just want to hit with a brick.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Ténébreux...that sounds French...oui?

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

^ It's from a French sonnet by Gérard de Nerval that I liked. I'm Australian though.

• cedars
    cedars

I've noticed that there is a disturbing number of cream slacks on display in the February 2012 "wife-bashing is excusable" Watchtower.

Just to bring this bang up to date...

Cedars

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

A similar kind of leaflet and rigorous rules can be found in respectable golf clubs. I doubt however if TW or Ernie or Phil or Ian would like to play a round of golf there in something else than portrayed there, they would be refused.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit