Acceptable and unacceptable dress for visiting Bethel

by smiddy 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cedars
    cedars

That's the last time I try using IE9 on here!

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Bangalore for posting the above images of the instructions that were posted on all congregation notice boards. I remember thinking they were over the top at the time, but evidently certain brothers have leapt on these crazy instructions as license to give people hassle when it comes to dressing more 'appropriately', even in their everyday personal lives. I can think of one CO in particular who incorporated the instruction leaflet into his talks, and implied that brothers should be dressing in such a way at all times, and not just when visiting bethel. The amount of control that the Society seeks over individuals is breathtaking.

What I don't get is the fascination that the Governing Body evidently has with 'cream slacks'. In almost every Watchtower you will find at least one or perhaps several images depicting brothers in 'casual' dress wearing cream slacks - with the trademark crease down each leg, and a polo shirt in a pastel shade tucked in below the belt. If the brother is extra spiritual, he will perhaps have all the buttons done up on his polo shirt! This is a ludicrously out-dated form of casual dress that goes way back to the fifties, and yet if the Society had their way ALL brothers would dress this way when 'off duty'.

I actually called on a lady once on the ministry who turned down the magazines, and I was somewhat taken aback by the reason she gave. "I don't like the way you people dress in the photos!" Bear in mind, this was a reason given by a householder for REFUSING the literature. The Society can therefore not claim to be giving a fine Witness and avoiding stumbling through their dress standards, when they are actually putting people off hearing their message through their insistence on out-dated fashions.

Cedars

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

jesus & the prophets would be turned away

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I wonder how they got sisters to pose for the pictures in the third image last row.

Bangalore

• cedars
    cedars

By promising to conceal their faces, evidently!

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I guess so.

Bangalore

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    I wonder how they got sisters to pose for the pictures in the third image last row.

They look like standard stock photos available from a general image source.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

still enforcing this fucking obsession for women not being able to wear smart trousers.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I know that this is old, but I visited Bethel waaaay back when... last century. It was a tour organized locally, and a group flew to New York and stayed in a local hotel that was over Grand Central Station (if I remember correctly).

This was back in 1974 or 1975.

I have photos of the group that toured Bethel - standing outside the main(?) entrance. (No, I do not remember what building we went in to. It was large, and we were guided through rather rapidly - if I recall correctly.)

Anyway - on to my point. The young ladies that were in our group were all wearing nice slacks. If I recall correctly, very few were actually wearing a dress - other than the tour guide and my older sister.

I'll have to dig out the photo album and see if I am correct.

Of course... our group may have been the reason that they released that set of guidelines (he sez... voice drifting off)

Regards,

Jim TX

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I love the obession they have with ensuring sisters wear high heels. I mean the sister on ther cover page, touring a factory wearing 2 or 3 inch heels? It's so stupid it's laughable.

It's not high dress standards either, people in the world don't 'admire' our clothes.

I was on the service once with a friend in standard witness preaching dress & a man answered the door with "I'm not interested", I said, being a smart alec "But you dont know why we're here", He said "You're Jehovahs Witnesses and I know this cos you're young women dressed like the Waltons".

I had to laugh.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

hahaha, so get your ripped up jeans and Beatles or Star Wars shirts ready... let's all go crash the party! We are here for our tour!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit