Acceptable and unacceptable dress for visiting Bethel

by smiddy 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Their acceptable look casual and dated. A dress or suit would seem more polished. It looks like a cheap version of Queen Elizabeth wear at Balmoral.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, I do deal with the public, and work in an office. I get to wear my genes,, and I haven't worn a tie in over twenty years at work. People who see me shopping after I wear my meeting clothes don't recognize me, and are shocked to see the change.

I find it so uncomfortable to sit in a Bus, and travel over 9 hrs, and to tour through a factory in my meeting clothes. I believe I'm not the only one that feels that way. Mind you, you don't have to wear a tie, when visiting the Bethels in the Carribean. I got away with that.

• ziddina
    ziddina

At one time on another thread, a lady posted a comment about the Watchtower Corporation's obsession with the Rank & File dressing "as though they were going to a meeting"...

I wish I could remember WHO posted the comment - maybe "Life is to short"?

Anyway, she said that one possible reason for their obsession with dress, is that when a JW calls on people or is seen in public, being dressed "well" gives "worldly" people the impression that Jehovah's Witnesses are financially SUCCESSFUL...

However, if that is the reasoning behind the overly-restrictive dress codes, it shows again how out-of-touch with current reality the Gov.Bod and their minions really are...

The poster went on to enumerate on just how DISHONEST that presentation actually is, with the Watchtower Corporation's antipathy towards higher education, promotions at work and accepting overtime....

I think that her comment was spot-on!

Zid

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

Ziddina, that is so true.

I've had householders say to me that we must be paid very well to do the door-to-door work as we could afford to dress so well. Yeah right !

I've also heard members of the public ask, in all seriousness, if there's a funeral taking place in the area because of the way witnesses are dressed on FS !

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Why would anyone want to visit a factory anyway?

• alias
    alias

Wow. I remember visiting Bethel multiple times and always having to dress 'for meetings.'

The office causual and dress pants on women look smart and fine and carry a respectful approach. The push to wear clothes as one would be attending a meeting (and creating a brochure about it) just pushes it to the extreme.

If there's any credit out there for trying to do the right thing whole-souled...

It's personal integrity and being right within yourself. I hear ya.

alias

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

So, I'm going to assume that if a homeless person decides they want to come in to see what it's all about that they'd turn him away and tell him he looked like a slob basically and hand him that tract or whatever with all the "proper" dress in it? I showed it to my husband who's never been a JW, he was pretty disgusted. His mom went to the Mormon headquarters (she's Catholic but was interested in seeing the place) and wore PANTS and had a grand ole time. I went to Bethel quite a few times and was just astounded at how there was hardly anything to do except look good and look at boring videos and stuff. The only thing I really liked was that model of the temple thing (I forget if it was in Walkill or Patterson now.) Also, as a side note, I felt like I was getting slightly high off ink fumes...LOL.

The last time I toured the Bethel branches (and the time I toured Bahamas bethel), I was told my my mother that I HAD to wear stockings and that they wouldn't let me in the door if I had bare legs, even if the skirt was fairly long. So, the very last time I went I made sure to fit the standards but they never said anything about makeup so I went rather gothy with thick eyeliner and bright red lips. LOL. I wore all-black and the dammned stockings.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

What would happen if you displayed tatts on the arms & hands?

• sir82
    sir82

being dressed "well" gives "worldly" people the impression that Jehovah's Witnesses are financially SUCCESSFUL...

Clearly you haven't seen the elders from our congregation....

Per WTS guidelines they are dressed "well", as in wearing a tie & jacket.

But I see stained clothes, jackets that last fit sometime during the Clinton administration, cheap polyester ties, scuffed shoes....

Seeing these guys amble down the street in field service, and your LAST thought will be about how "financially successful" they are.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's all about whitening the outside of the sepulchre (Matt. 23:27)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit