Acceptable and unacceptable dress for visiting Bethel

by smiddy 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• highdose
    highdose

JW's think they are giving such a good wittnesses by their dress, in fact the rest of the normal world thinks they look like weridos!

• shadow
    shadow
    James 2:1-4

1 My brothers, YOU are not holding the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, our glory, with acts of favoritism, are YOU ? 2 For, if a man with gold rings on his fingers and in splendid clothing enters into a gathering of YOU , but a poor [man] in filthy clothing also enters, 3 yet YOU look with favor upon the one wearing the splendid clothing and say: “You take this seat here in a fine place,” and YOU say to the poor one: “You keep standing,” or: “Take that seat there under my footstool,” 4 YOU have class distinctions among yourselves and YOU have become judges rendering wicked decisions, is that not so?

1 Samuel 16:7

7 But Jehovah said to Samuel: “Do not look at his appearance and at the height of his stature, for I have rejected him. For not the way man sees [is the way God sees], because mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is.”

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

i always had a good laugh about the clothes you see in the literature, because it just looks sooo outdated. but i have got to be honest, we (bro/sis in the netherlands) all thought it was just american 'fashion'. :-p no way i would dream of wearing that crap, not even when i was pioneering! and neither did my friends!

and awful white 80's trainers under a skirt?! you've got to be kidding me... that is how i spot the american tourist in amsterdam: terrible clothes and backpacks and fat girls with trainers and skirts, lol... ;-)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why can the African dude wear a dress to Bethel? A dress! A little bit similar to the robes Jesus wore. They loved women's legs. Some sexual longing must be present. A naked leg fetish. Oh, is this what Jesus preached? Three short years and a crucixion so an black dude can wear a dress and women can wear skirts. Skirts. Women who wore skirts would have been stoned!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

This whole topic infuriates me - the unmitigated gall of these people to dictate like this...how does Satan enter a pants suit because a woman is wearing it anyway? And is the devil REALLY woven into denim fabric??

• still thinking
    still thinking

zid...I'd like to see them make your outfits the rule...wouldn't you just love to see people door knocking in those....And I think the men should wear wigs and tights time for a change I reakon...back to old light

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

well ST, they're already Victorian in their mindset - may as well go back to Elizabethan.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Re: denim. I was one of the first to wear blue jeans as not farm wear in the 1960s. The Dylan, Ginsburg crowd attracted me. I could signal my coollness. For quite a while, jeans signalled that the wearer as a member of the counterculture, listened to Jazz, Dylan, Beatles, Stones, read Herman Hesse, etc. Denim has not been restricted to farm wear for almost 70 years now. Neiman Marcus sells jeans in the $1500 -$2000 range. My first jeans were Army Navy stores in Greenwich Village. Denim is very different. My jeans run around $100. I find this amount ridiculous for denim. Good denim costs more.

Society has changed. I would not wear jeans to court or in a corporate setting. I wear them to museums all the time as does everybody else. The WT has no idea what is accepted and desireable dress. Why not instruct people to wear formal attire with dinner jackets, ball gowns, and tiaras. I can tell Bethelites without asking them b/c of their dress. Steve Jobs wore jeans at corporate functions. Denim is durable. I don't see the scriptural love affair with very bad polyester. It does not wash well. Jesus wore no polyester.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I don't see the scriptural love affair with very bad polyester. It does not wash well. Jesus wore no polyester.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Where do these guys come up with this shit? Business attire? Any real NYC businessmen would laugh rolling on the floor at Bethel attire.

An infuriated brother told me about a discouraged sister on the "edge" who dragged herself to the Sunday meeting after he spent hours trying to encourage her to "come back". As she entered she got pulled into the library by two Elders.. "We want to talk to you about something"...she was surprized...(they had never talked to her or called on her before).. "wearing Denim Skirts is not acceptable meeting attire". She left and never returned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit