Acceptable and unacceptable dress for visiting Bethel

by smiddy 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

How do they equate slacks with immodesty?

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`m glad I`m not alone in seeing this as crazy over the top controlling stupid reasoning.

But isn`t it great ? The more rubbish they put out like this,surely thinking people will steer clear away from them

smiddy

• still thinking
    still thinking

That is the best reason I have heard for keeping the 'acceptable dress' Balaamsass.....maybe it will stumble more as time goes on and thier fashion sense becomes more ridiculous.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Try touring Bethel in January, parking blocks away, then walking through ice and snow wearing meeting clothes, anklets and dress shoes on the little girls, dress shoes with high (but not too high!) heels on the women, suit pants and dress shoes for the males. If you have infants or young children that need to be carried, add that to the misery. Freezing winds, blowing snow, no warm winter coverings because it doesn't even get chilly most of the year where you live. By the time you get to the first building you're frozen to the bone, and you still have to walk from building to building if you want to see as much as you can. They didn't serve refreshments to visitors, not so much as a vending machine for hot chocolate!

We were miserable but tried to put it aside so we could reap the spiritual benefits. We put everything we had into serving Jehovah and making The Truth not just a part of our lives but our purpose for being.

If there's any credit out there for trying to do the right thing whole-souled...

• PrincessCynic
    PrincessCynic

I have been counselled about my clothes so many times that I've just given up. Now when I go I wear what I want with a big long coat over that I don't take off. There's someone in my hall who must have been extremely offended by my boobs because the elders who spoke to me were always really awkward like they didn't want to say anything but there's 'been a complaint'. I would love to know who the 'complainer' is. It could be any one of the many sexually repressed individuals.

Also, after a few unsuccessful shopping trips I have discovered that the clothes that the org wants sisters to wear don't actually exist. They haven't been sold in normal shops for decades. If I find anything 'appropriate', I'm dressed like I'm in my 40s (I'm actually 20something). It's impossible to look fashionable, but I guess that's the idea. I'm not spending any more $ on meeting clothes, I'll save my money thanks very much.

I'm considering going to a meeting with just my underwear under my big coat It does get rather warm No one would know but me and I'd feel very rebellious. In a good way

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Why can the African dude wear a dress to Bethel?

Prince Charles, wearing kilt

Would they turn Prince Charles away for improper attire?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey
    well ST, they're already Victorian in their mindset - may as well go back to Elizabethan.

BWA HAHAHA!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

This is one of the things that bothered me a lot when this issue was discussed at the service meeting and when the illustrated guide was posted on the buletin board. I thought to myself: how many actually visit Bethel and why would the WT discuss this issue several times during a short period of time? Could JWs visiting Bethel dress so poorly that they need to bring up this issue in such a direct way. My answer was no...all they want to accomplish is to control people not only when they visit Bethel but also lcally in the congregation. One CO became obsessed with sisters wearing v-neck tops that had a lower neckline than the one illustrated as being modest - and it was the same for skirt length and tightness of dresses...During several visits he mentioned this in his final talk. He was dressed like he came from the seventies and she wore ankle length dresses with a mushroom haircut...I guess they could had posed for the illustrated guide.

• pontoon
    pontoon

When brother Prince arrived by helicopter to visit Wat farm he was wearing a suit and sneekers. He got his tour.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Even when I was a zealous pioneer I had no desire ever to visit Bethel or New York. Of course, now that I'm disfellowshipped, there is no reason to ever set foot in any Watchtower building or their grounds. This sickening display of the Society's desire to control every aspect of a person's life only makes me all the happier that I'm out of this cult's clutches. The old Negro Spiritual put it best: "FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, I'M FREE AT LAST!!"

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit