Here is the funeral talk outline. VERY discraceful.

by stillstuckcruz 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Same drivel I heard at my grandmother's funeral a few months ago. She wasn't even a jw.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

My best friend as a kid (we grew up in the same KH) died suddenly at 18. I had already decided I was on my way out, but was still living at home. It's hard to even think about today how upset I was that my friend was gone at such a young age. At the graveside I was inconsolable mostly because of this BULLSH*T of a funeral talk. It was disrespectful and my friend deserved a lot more. He was a great guy. I would never call myself a JW after that day for any reason. Never went to a meeting again after that.

• agonus
    agonus

I'm half tempted to start making out my Last Will and Testament now should something like this happens to me. Seriously. No way in hell am I going to be eulogized in this fashion or my memories desecrated. Call me stubborn and prideful if you will, but there comes a time when you just have to say "enough". It just sucks that my death may have to be the "enough" that finally wakes up my JW family. I'd just as soon be dead than live a life that is no life at all.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The family funerals I attended summed up the life and love of the family member in two or three short sentences. I always found it strange b/c no one else besides Witnesses were ever invited. It is a lot of ground to cover in 30 minutes. Ray Franz' account of funeral talks, esp. his uncle's talks, left me crying when I first read his books. People outside the Witnesses cannot comprehend it. No one is allowed to mourn or process the death. It is not a passing of a loved one. It is ticket to a standard JW knock on door sermon.

My father and uncles served at Bethel for 15-20 years. Bro. so and so served at Bethel. The end. They don't spent time discussing what the person did for the organization. There is no humor. Of course, I was an adult before I ever attended a regular funeral service. The only model I had was a political assasination model. I watched the funerals for public officials on TV.

I don't know why normal family members don't go postal with fury. My aunt travelled so far to hear a knock on the door speech. I'm not exaggerating. Age, time in Witnesses. Over. Preach.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

the JW doing my brother's talk today loosely followed this outline, but i think he couldn't go real hardcore because my brother was far from being a JW. At my aunt's funeral, however, it was exactly as outlined. Horrible. But it's exactly why they would not open up the memorial for friends and others to remember my brother and why they were so determined to prevent me from doing a memorial here the way I wanted (his was in another province). Gotta stick with the outline.

I told my daughters that when I die I want them to make sure they hold it in the basement of some church, make sure there are plenty of pagan symbols around, anything to prevent JWs from even coming in the door!

They will take any crumb...they will do propaganda for any death.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    the JW doing my brother's talk today loosely followed this outline, but i think he couldn't go real hardcore because my brother was far from being a JW.

So sorry for your loss.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yep . . . that's the one . . . bloody lovely ain't it?

As another poster once said . . . it's like a marketing seminar with a body for a prop.

• iknowall558
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Disgraceful indeed. Only listing what the person did for the religion? Sure, hide anything the person did that might have been worthwhile to society and highlight what they did for the witlesses.

Notably, they do this all the time. Ever notice that the Washtowel and Asleep (and the yearbook) discuss countries in terms of how the witlesses are doing in those areas, leaving everything else alone? Yet, when they do this in a funeral, it is extra disgraceful because they are supposed to highlight the good the person did to individuals and society, not the religion.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

My mom is a hardcore JW. If she should pass(may that day be many, many, many moons away), I am NOT going to have the memorial in a KH. I'll invite the JW's to her service because that is her life. But, the service will be held in a public place.

No way in hell I am going to allow them to disrespect her and sum up her life in a few short sentences! My mom is such an exceptional, wonderful, giving person. The idea that they would try to minimize that by using a recruitment talk makes me sick to my stomach.

None of our loved ones deserves such a cold, standard speech.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit