Here is the funeral talk outline. VERY discraceful.

by stillstuckcruz 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• l p
    l p

my mum died 2 years ago....but we had left the borg years before that....

we made sure we did not have a dub do the service... we had different people from different periods in mums life give a eulogy of that time....

some jws turned up - not that they were invited..don't know how they found out but they came incl an elder and an ex elder...

it was the most beautiful funeral ive been too....

and so many of mums friends said so too..including some of her jw best friends that were there...

it was not done in a way that "worshipped' her as the jws try to say...but it was funny and nice...experiences from her life...it was an overview of her life...

im glad we were able to pay her some honour

RIP mum, I love you and miss you every day xxx

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

"The purpose of this talk is to uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved."

The scriptures, what to say, how long to say it, and what song to sing, while mentioned as a suggestion, given the rigid Pharisaical nature of the org., the speaker knows they MUST abide by some if not ALL of the "suggested" options.

While Jehovah should be rightfully thanked it is Jesus to whom we should look to for hope in that he will resurrect us and judge us as righteous. That is the authority Jehovah has given him both in heaven and on earth. Something the WTS loves to deny although clearly written.

The more the name "Jehovah" is thrown out there the more validity is given to the WTS.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    marked I had noticed this as well and disagreed long before I left
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback
    I've noticed that recent funeral talks seems to talk more about the deceased with a mixture of some association with their faith. Of course it does depend on the speaker. I've attended Funeral talks at Bethel, congregations with Bethel speakers, and Local speakers. I must be in the age group of those on the Grim Reapers list. If I not careful, he just might be looking forward to expand that list.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I had noticed this as well and disagreed long before I left

Same here. Somehow I made it to about 25 before I ever went to a cult funeral, but when I did it was striking how little they talked about the person that died and how much it felt like just another meeting. It seemed utterly tasteless. I remember looking at some of the non-JWs that came and thinking "They'll never want to be a JW after listening to this."

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

When my dad passed away several relatives were disgusted that so little was said about him, it was all about the Watchtower. They were so mad they left as soon as it was over and didn't come to the reception afterward. It's basically an advertising opportunity for the Watchtower and God forbid people give any attention to an individual. They are being stupid because if I knew nothing about them before I went to one of their memorial talks I would be horrified.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    They are being stupid because if I knew nothing about them before I went to one of their memorial talks I would be horrified.

They probably see it as the best opportunity to recruit, and honestly they're probably right. They could probably go about it a little better, but something tells me that for the time investment put in, funeral talks probably yield several orders of magnitude more recruits than does field service. They've got a captive audience of emotionally distraught people which is the perfect time for a high-pressure sales pitch from the cult.

They're not after people like you or I that can handle the death already and just want to grieve, they're looking for those that are completely wrecked and vulnerable.

• bradford
    bradford

I gave one of these once, it felt so bizarre.

That was for my grandmother. Was studying, weird situation.

Strangely enough my grandfather wants me to speak when he dies (which won't be too far away since he has cancer). I don't think I'll talk about beliefs at all, just about how much life he lived and to celebrate it. He's not a JW.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

We went to a JW funeral recently, and what an eye-opener. It was so creepy and they do not have compassion for anybody. Some family of the deceased were coming in from out of town and they either got lost or stuck in traffic, so they phoned the Kingdom Hall to let the brothers know they would be about 10 minutes late, and would the brothers hold off starting the funeral until all the family got there...?

Well, you all know the answer, I am sure. The brother giving the talk would not wait for these other family members to arrive, He had his time set and that was that, despite there being coffee and tea afterwards at the hall. So even though this was a "booked event" with people being at the hall for quite a while, the brother still wouldn't wait to show this stressed family coming in from out of town any mercy. And the funeral talk was this very same outline!! Disgusting! And he didn't even pronounce our friend's deceased family member's name correctly!

And of course, for the family arriving 10 minutes late from out of town, all they got was the WT commercial, the part about their loved family member was all done and over within a few minutes at the beginning.

It was terrible, awful. It left a very bad taste for many people that day. My hope is that it helped wake someone up.....

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I wonder if the funerals of the GB members were the same, announce their name then a talk?

You'd think the BARE minimum w/ their infomercial would at least say 30 minutes about the person then 20 min for the talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit