Criminal , new US ally

by Norm 125 Replies latest jw friends

• Norm
    Norm

The Norwegian newspaper VG, reports: Iraqi General Nizar al-Khazraji was the man behind the butchering of 180,000 Iraqi Kurds in 1988. He was one of Saddam's faithful generals. He later had to flee Iraq and is living on a secret address in Denmark. He is under investigation by the Danish police.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The US apparently want him to help them get rid of Saddam Hussein.
    They don't seem to be very upset about the fact that he is a ruthless murderer. Again we get an example of the usual lesson that the loss of lives is not important if it isn't American or perhaps Israeli. What's 180,000 dead Kurds compared to September 11?
    Quite impressive behavior from a nation dedicated to the "war on terrorism".

Norm

• Joseph Joachim
    Joseph Joachim

Well, Osama bin Laden himself was supported by the US when Afghanistan was under Soviet ocupation. But it seems that americans have now learnt the lesson.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hey Norm,

I guess everyone knows that the Americans had their heads in the sand when it came to events that didn't directly involve them.

I think that is changing now, maybe it's time to let that one go?

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• Norm
    Norm

Hi Englishman,

You said:

I guess everyone knows that the Americans had their heads in the sand when it came to events that didn't directly involve them.

I think that is changing now, maybe it's time to let that one go?

Hmmm, how's that? You must know something I don't. I don't see much evidence of such a change. It isn't only the US however. Most of the countries that promised to help Afghanistan with funds, are already dragging their feet. Most of them have not provided any funds yet. Once the US forces withdraw the Afghans will be left to themselves again, just wait and see.

The logistic amd financial problems of bringing aid and supplies to starving people always seem almost impossible. When it comes to bring bombs and weapons anywhere in the world there is never a problem, no one talk about how much it will cost, etc. Strange, eh?
    Of course the "defense industry" doesn't make much money on relief supplies.

Anyway, if the US are going to bring this Iraqi thug into their efforts to get rid of Saddam, they are clearly demonstrating that nothing has changed. In Bosnia Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, was responsible for killing far more people that Bin Laden has ever managed, they are still at large, and they are not on the agenda, when the bigshots talk about terrorism. Of course those killed in Bosnia wasn't Americans or Israelies.

When Milosevic started the same in Kosovo, the west had such a bad conscience over what they let happen in Bosnia that they finally stood up to the murderer, they have got him but the other two have been left alone, why?

Will they drag them out and make them allies in some sordid sceem one day?

Norm

• Seeker
    Seeker

Nothing has changed in America. Well, let me adjust that. Now that terrorism has struck on American soil for at least the third time in history -- no, wait, let me adjust that, for the Americans themselves used terrorism against the British in the 18th-century. OK, let me start over:

Nothing has changed in the American government. The rulers of this country will continue to act hypocritically whenever it suits them. They will continue to undermine whatever countries and rulers they want, even ones popular with their own people, if it suits them. They will continue to partner with terrorists if it suits them. They will continue to prop up butcherous regimes if it suits them.

What has changed is the average American's view. They have been so shocked by the events of 9/11, they seem to think a new era in human history has arrived. The rest of the world is moving on, having been used to terrorism for many years now, and Americans are just late to the party. Meanwhile, the government leaders are the same duplicitious, lying hypocrites they have ever been.

• freeman
    freeman

Being an internationally accessible DB I’m not surprised to see some America bashing, that should be expected I suppose. Perhaps we bring some of that on our self’s, as we are not a perfect people and we have made many errors along the way. However seeing such posters with intellects I have come to greatly respect being the source of such bashing takes me somewhat by surprise.

Without getting into a personal attack on any individuals, I was wondering if each of you would for a moment consider this one simple question. My question is: What is your native language?

Is it German my friends? And if it is not German, tell me why is it not?

Has it slipped your collective minds that each and every one of America’s friends across the sea would be speaking German as its native language if America had not taken the actions it has in the past?

Have you pondered how different your lives would be if America did not stand up to another “Axis of Evil” some years ago? Would some of you even be alive without America’s help back then?

And from a humanitarian point of view, I’m sure some of you realize America’s expenditure on humanitarian relief around the world exceeds that of your own nation or any other nation, and even many nations combined. Is this news to you my learned friends?

I guess I can’t blame some of you for bashing America, as we are not a perfect people and sometimes in our rush to do what we believe is the right thing to do we perhaps offend someone’s feelings or national pride. As an American citizen, let me extend an apology to you for our crassness.

However that said, I suspect many of you are clever enough to have come to realize that no matter how you bash us, no matter how ungrateful that your rhetoric seems to be, if and when you truly need us again, we will be there for you.

Yes we will send you aid, we will help rebuild your bombed-out cites, and perhaps some of our soldiers will once again be buried on foreign soil fighting with and for you to retain your independence.

Sorry if my words in any way puts a damper on your Lets-Bash-America party, but I just had to say something. Carry on.

Freeman

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ah, this would be the 'we won the war and we give lots of money away, so don't point out when we are being stupid/shortsighted/ignorant/monocultric/hypocritical you ingrateful Europeans' arguement.

*YAWN*

It's called freedom of speech, dummy, something that the US loves, although their love of it surprisingly decreases when it's pointed at them. Hmmm...

The minute someone says, 'oh, why are the American's doing this, isn't it gonna 'cause problems', it seems as if many Americans start humming "Hail to the Chief" and complaining that the questions are being asked RATHER THAN ANSWERING THE GOD DAMN QUESTIONS.

Sorry if that spoils your knee-jerk nationalistic response, feel free to actaully engage in the debate, or if it is easier, just carry-on complaining about us naughty Europeans not worshipping Uncle Sam 24-7 out of gratitude.

The point is, America does things it would complain about if they were done to it.

Yes, it's a world power, the only world power now, and as such, it has a position of responsibility. I know it is tough, but if a country sets itself up as a world policeman (and I think it is often great that America does that, don;t get me wrong), then funnily enough, people apply higher standards to it.

Remember, your Declaration of Independance was founded on the fact that they American colonialists objected to the impositon of power over them without them having a say. Essentially, those that critisize the US are complaining about not having a say in the way that the power America has is being exercised.

So, I think American's should engage their brains when they do not see fawning gratitude and ask themselves... why?

Just saying 'I know we are not perfect' is not only a statement of the bleedin' onbivous, it is ducking the issue.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

The old "if it wasn't for America you would have lost the war" argument is completely naff.

But guess what? Yes! If it wasn't for America, the free world almost certainly would have lost the war.

However, consider this:

If Britain had lost the Battle of Britain, and succumbed to German invasion, there would have been no place on the European side of the Atlantic from which to build up and launch the invasion of Europe. D-Day would have had to have been delayed for years, if it ever happened at all. It is very likely that Germany would never have lost it's grip on Europe, in that case, since they could have used their full forces against the Russians. Are the British justified in saying "without us you would have lost the war?"

Or what if the Russians had lost Stalingrad, and subsequently folded to the Germans. In that case, Germany would have had the combined power of the Red Army and the Wermacht to resist an allied invasion of Europe, without having to worry about an Eastern front. It is very likely that a Europe/Russia/Japan axis would have simply overwhelmed the remains of the allies and won the war. Are the Russians justified in saying "without us you would have lost the war?"

The point is, the war was one by an alliance, each part of which played a crucial role. WW II is by far to complicated an event to use phrases like "without us you would have lost the war."

Expatbrit

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

"The minute someone says, 'oh, why are the American's doing this, isn't it gonna 'cause problems', it seems as if many Americans start humming "Hail to the Chief" and complaining that the questions are being asked RATHER THAN ANSWERING THE GOD DAMN QUESTIONS"

LOL. Dude, that is so true. The US is okay, but corrupt as hell, with a doorknob as a leader. This guy 'could fuck up a cup of coffee.'

Bush should get his speechwriters approval before blundering like an idiot again. I'll tell you, if Bush would try, just a little, to act on the side of the Arab community, perhaps a slow softening would happen. Instead, like a dick, he's going to shoot until the clip is empty, but he'll realize he still has enemies standing.

America is dooming itself if it doesn't try a little harder internationally.

This criminal is not the answer to our problems.

ashi

• TR
    TR

And just what does this thread have to do with homosexuality?

Seriously, I think these discussions should be taken to some kind of political forum. Thats why I quit engaging in these discussions on this forum.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit