I just can't do this anymore

by Awen 82 Replies latest jw experiences

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, me, too!

I am sooo finished with it, like years ago.

Now, I focus on philosophies of life, never religion where I would be told what to think and do.

• erbie
    erbie

Personally, I think that all spiritual experiences are a delusion of the mind. I do not mean this as an insult. I can relate to your examination of Christianity and you are quite correct in that it makes no sense at all. How could it ever make sense?

All that hatred and revenge in the bible goes against every kind of sense. If it's all true, then I'll be happy to be the first to go.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

I dont think anyone of us "has it"...the answer.

As long as your life works for you, then thats the closest we come to being the best we can be. With or without God.

It doesnt make you better or worse than the next person.

Enjoy your life.

Live well. Laugh often. Love much.

Paula x

• Awen
    Awen

I want to thank everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

Something that has been on my mind as of late is that it seems religion can separate us from our humanity. What I mean is we have different sects, denominations etc that instead of bring us together seem to push us farther apart. In the grand scheme of things it should be the opposite and for some it is. But overall many of us allow the trappings of our beliefs to look down on our neighbors or to see them as "bad" because of perceived "sin". When I was a JW I felt that way. I felt that the world was going to end and there wasn't anything I could do about it but hope that those who heard "the message" would repent, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

In hindsight I realize that I didn't have enough faith. Not in an invisible god but rather in my fellow human beings. Religion teaches us that we're simply not good enough. It teaches us that we're all little children playing in the dirt and that we need a parent figure to guide us. Yet that parent figure can't be bothered to show up or do anything unless it suits them (not at all what one would expect from a loving parent).

It has been said on these forums that in order to have a relationship with God we must follow a set of beliefs who's correctness is often in doubt. Seems to me the best thing we can do is love one another, without regard to race, religion, nationality or whatever. It's as plain as the nose on your face, yet still people hold hatred in their hearts for those who do not share the same religious viewpoint.

One thing I do believe as far as religion is concerned is that in our quest to know if god exists we have lost faith in each other. We look to our parent figure to get us out of messes, rather than to ourselves and each other.

Jeremiah 10:23 says "that to earthling man his way does not belong, it does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his own step."

I disagree with this. Consider that more blood has been shed in the name of god than anything else. More anguish has been brought about because of god than any other single means in our history.

People say we shouldn't blame god because it is our actions that cause these problems.

Well to those I say "where is god?" When I was thirsting and hungry why did you not feed me? When innocent people were being killed by tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes etc...where was god? When my friends turned on me because I left the cult I was in, where was god to comfort me?

The only people you can depend on is yourself and each other. We often see news stories where total strangers intercede on another's behalf to give them aid. Perhaps people of differing religions, (yet that is never mentioned) offering food and shelter to the homeless and sick. Yet god can't be bothered to intercede just ONCE to prove his love for us or that even cares one bit.

These are things I haven't been able to put to rest in my own mind and I'm sure many of you have had similar questions/doubts.

I just wanted to share these thoughts and get your input and to thank you once again for all your kind words.

Peace,

Awen

• sizemik
    sizemik

Great thread Awen . . .

I certainly had a problem also with the sentiment in Jeremiah. If self determination is beyond man . . . as in 'impossible' . . . then why absolute milleniums of suffering and death just to prove it? That makes no sense at all. What lesson does a parent abandoning it's child for it's entire life teach?

Taking such a defeatest stance destroys any faith in humanity, as you point out . . . and simply becomes another bone of contention. The destruction of the "world empire of false religion" is one prophecy I wouldn't mind seeing fulfilled . . . nothing holds mankind back (and apart) more.

• nateb
    nateb

Something that has been on my mind as of late is that it seems religion can separate us from our humanity. What I mean is we have different sects, denominations etc that instead of bring us together seem to push us farther apart. In the grand scheme of things it should be the opposite and for some it is. But overall many of us allow the trappings of our beliefs to look down on our neighbors or to see them as "bad" because of perceived "sin". When I was a JW I felt that way. I felt that the world was going to end and there wasn't anything I could do about it but hope that those who heard "the message" would repent, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah.

In hindsight I realize that I didn't have enough faith. Not in an invisible god but rather in my fellow human beings. Religion teaches us that we're simply not good enough. It teaches us that we're all little children playing in the dirt and that we need a parent figure to guide us. Yet that parent figure can't be bothered to show up or do anything unless it suits them (not at all what one would expect from a loving parent).

It has been said on these forums that in order to have a relationship with God we must follow a set of beliefs who's correctness is often in doubt. Seems to me the best thing we can do is love one another, without regard to race, religion, nationality or whatever. It's as plain as the nose on your face, yet still people hold hatred in their hearts for those who do not share the same religious viewpoint.

One thing I do believe as far as religion is concerned is that in our quest to know if god exists we have lost faith in each other. We look to our parent figure to get us out of messes, rather than to ourselves and each other.

I'm going to save this. We are all that we have. We are all that we need.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Awen

What you wrote is how I have always felt just did not know how to put in on paper so well. I have always wondered why God was not there for so many who really needed him, yet he could sell a home or fix a car for others. It never made any sense to me.
    Thanks so much for your post.

LITS

• AGuest
    AGuest

Unfortunately, I have to take exception with this statement, dear Awen (the greatest of love and peace to you!):

Yet god can't be bothered to intercede just ONCE to prove his love for us or that even cares one bit.

NOT to take away from what you're experiencing lately and now... and NOT to contend (not at all!)... but SOLELY because it is inaccurate. A lie... and my love for YOU won't allow me to let you believe this lie without at least attempting to set it straight. Certainly, my love for God won't.

The truth, dear one, is that God did bother... at least once, if not many times. On at least ONE occassion, He PROVED that He loved mankind ("the world") VERY much. He gave His Son, dear one... which not a single one of us would do. True, we might "give" our children, too, by supporting them if/when they chose to, say, protect the freedom of their countrymen. The difference, however, if that (1) we don't really expect them to die (we know it's a possibility, but it's not something we literally SEND them to do); and (2) we would do it for those we "love"... not those who literally hate us, even kill our child(ren).

Of course, you (and everyone else here) are absolutely free to take... or leave... this truth, I know this. That does not change my love... or regard... for you (or anyone!) in any way, truly. Again, it is only about setting the matter straight. Correct. Accurate. Because we say things all the time... out of anger, out of frustration, confusion, pain, even acquiescence - things are just too HARD... difficult... even unbelievable... to believe in [a] God, etc. Unstandable. Such a frame of mind also can causes us to make statements that we may not know to BE false... but just "seem" to be truth based on OUR own experience(s).

Sometimes, though, our own experiences are such that we say things out of love. And that is where this is coming from. I realize some will say... again... "Yeah, well, why are YOUR experiences so different?" Rather than respond to that... yet, again... I would simply say that YOU know the answer to that.

Again, the greatest of love... AND peace... to you... truly. However you "find" it.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

nice post Awen, if there is a God to someone like myself who believed in Christianity and the Bible, WTF cant she come out and say Hi a bit more? I've said that for years now, surely this all powerful being who created the Universe and the trillions of planets that inhabit it is capable of this ? the pseudo evangelical christian answers and responses are totally unacceptable to me.

• Twitch
    Twitch

I'm with those who don't know anything for sure but if I did, it would still be your choice to pick what suits you best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit