Today's Watchtower Lesson Really Bothered Me...

by dontplaceliterature 83 Replies latest jw friends

• AnneB
    AnneB

Has it ever crossed their minds that Israel was a special people bred to serve a certain purpose for God? They weren't told to drag non-Israelites to the stoning ground! We're not Israelites, not even those who claim these days to be Jews can say they are under the arrangement from back then ('cause none of them live it fully).

Apples and oranges.

AB

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The Witnesses are on the lunatic fringe of Christianity. Forcing parents to shun their children in the name of their bronze-age imaginary god is evidence of that; and believing that ancient middle eastern practices set a precedent- it all just screams- 'cult.'

• N.drew
    N.drew

AnneB You are right. My theory is 2 Peter 3: 3,4 says mockers with their mockery will come according to their own desires (eagerness for-epithumia). What they are mocking is the Bible. Do they not imitate it where it does not apply and do they not twist scriptures to fit their own understanding? Also the same word "eagerness for" is found at 2 Timothy 4:3 where it says "according to their own desires (eagerness for-epithumias) they will accumulate teachers for themselves. We see that all the time, brothers put up in positions of leadership who do not know the Bible.

Who do we know that is a body that can be identified by what is with them? Mockers with their mockery.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Actually AnneB whats really said is the fact the Law of moses DIED with Jesus but every chance the WT gets they resurect its archaic principles to suit there needs.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,I've heard more than once,imagine how Jehovah feels when the angels,including Satan,rebelled against Him. So,they go on to say that Jehovah understands what parents with disfellowshipped children have to go through,because He deals with it Himself. And He will eventually destroy Satan and his demons,former sons.

But,again,how can they compare heavenly spirit creatures,to young people raised in the religion.

I bet if most Witnesses heard of other religions having the same sort of shunning policy,they would think it was just terrible. But,they are the exception to any rule,since they have the "truth".

(OT) I watched a movie once with my Witness mother. It was the usual type of movie where the family of the girl doesn't approve of the man she loves because he comes from a different background. My mother,of course,was all for the young couple to be together. And thought the family was foolish to keep the couple apart on such a matter. But,I could see for a split second,that she was comparing it to me,being with an unbeliever. And silence from her for the rest of the movie.

Maybe reasoning on non-Witness examples, can help them see how foolish the Watchtower policies are.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Jehovah, doesn't even disfellowship in his Kingdom. He allowed, Satan and the rebellious sons to exist in the Heavens. They had a free voice, as it says in the first chapter of Job. Eventually, he had them removed, but did deal with them and not shun them. Jesus did have discussions with Satan and so called Rebellious Angels, while he was here on earth. Was that Necessary Business?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Yeah,evidently,it was necessary family business,lol.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I hope they continue to make proclamations like this. The more heinous statements they make out loud, the more people will be shocked into waking up and leaving.

• lostandconfused
    lostandconfused

It was disgusting. I was bothered too. Our speaker emphasized on how this is such a LOVING thing to do and "Oh, surely the parents of the disfellowshipped one are the ones that hurt the most"...Then followed all the comments, one sister about having to shun her disfellowshipped daughter, then another brother about having to shun his disfellowshipped father. "Surely this is done for love so they realize they need to be in Jehovah's organization."

What really bothered me is they went on and on today about how these "disfellowshipped" ones are all fornicators, idolaters, and drunkerds...

How many people who get disfellowshipped simply decided not to believe the WTBTS docrines anymore or chose a different religion? They are not all gross sinners! The hypocrisy angers me...it took all I could not to get up and leave today, or even worse...raise my hand and comment on what my opinion was! UGH....Can't wait to get out!!

• lostandconfused
    lostandconfused

Odrade- I doubt it. You would think so right? It seems like the more ridiculous they become, the more their followers just nod their heads and agree...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit